critique my fit please

cyberknight
cyberknight Posts: 1,238
edited May 2015 in Road beginners
Yes , opening a can of worms .
I cant seem to get the front end to feel right , i have asked on the ctc and i thought i would ask here to see if i get a general consensus before i change the set up
inside leg 77.5 x.883 + 5 m ( 170 mm cranks rather than 175 for formula )= 88.9 , saddle set at 89 cm from BB 3.5 cm setback from saddle tip 50 cm to centre of stem.
IMG_20150504_102921449_HDR.jpg
IMG_20150504_103133304_HDR.jpg
FCN 3/5/9

Comments

• sungod
    sungod Posts: 16,437
    standard disclaimer about bike set up as everyone is different, there is no general 'right'...

sounds like saddle position has been derived by formula rather than feel, so i'd take time to sort that out first as it affects everything else

to me it looks like the saddle may too far forward

seated in riding position, can you remove hands from the bars without falling forwards? if not then i'd adjust it until you are more balanced - but this does also depend on your flexibility and core strength
    my bike - faster than god's and twice as shiny
  • cyberknight
    sungod wrote:
    standard disclaimer about bike set up as everyone is different, there is no general 'right'...

sounds like saddle position has been derived by formula rather than feel, so i'd take time to sort that out first as it affects everything else

to me it looks like the saddle may too far forward

seated in riding position, can you remove hands from the bars without falling forwards? if not then i'd adjust it until you are more balanced - but this does also depend on your flexibility and core strength
    I have asked a a few people on a club run but i got some vague comments rather than any definite answers , one person did say i was to far back (?) .Your comments do correlate with what i have been told on the ctc which was saddle back a bit and a shorter stem to compensate although there was some disagreement about saddle height which the formula matches heel on pedal as it happens .
    And yes i can ride without holding on although i do suffer with tingling hand as i have a trapped nerve in my neck .
    For core strength i do have a physical job lifting /moving metal car parts and i also do tend to ride with arms bent with the forearms resting on the top of the bars when on the hoods which i find comfy , reach is currently elbow on saddle + 1 finger to back of tops .
    FCN 3/5/9
  • sungod
    exactly what is it that doesn't feel right?

fit is very personal - which is why adhering to an arithmetic formula is risky - it also evolves as your fitness/flexibility changes

tbh it's not riding without holding on per se, it's whether your body is balanced when in riding position, if it isn't then you'll need to lean on the bars which puts pressure on hands and arms, ideally you want to be able to hold the bars lightly without needing to put weight on them as you ride,check if you are/aren't leaning, if you are then try moving the saddle back until you achieve a neutral position

moving fore-aft may then require a height adjustment, a few mm can make a noticable difference
  • paul2718
    paul2718 Posts: 471
    The saddle looks low to me, I'm judging from your left leg in the first picture.

And it looks like you are caught in an uneasy compromise between a low racy position and an upright comfy one.

Paul
  • kajjal
    kajjal Posts: 3,380
    The saddle looks a little low but it does depend on your flexibility. I would ride the bike for a while and see how you get on. If you don't get any injuries and it seems comfortable then you are well on your way. There is alot of personal preference in bike setup once you get the basics right.

What feels wrong with the front, is it too low / too far away ?

If it is try quickly flipping the stem into the upright position.
  • cyberknight
    I do get bouts of tingling fingers when riding,some times i am fine and other days i can barely hold the bars even for a few miles .I also have bouts of aching triceps very quickly but im never sure if its down to work or fit as its comes and goes.
    Its interesting the comments about saddle height as other comments have said im too high ( ?) and to far forward , maybe an inch in front ok kops so moving the saddle back a bit could be an option which would aslso increase effective saddle height ( ?) with a shorter stem ?.
    FCN 3/5/9
  • napoleond
    napoleond Posts: 5,992
    its incredibly difficult via photos to say about bike position.
    However, from what you are saying I'd suggest moving the saddle back and down. You look to far forward. This will also take weight off your hands.
    Insta: ATEnduranceCoaching
    ABCC Cycling Coach
  • simon_masterson
    simon_masterson Posts: 2,740
    I too think that your saddle is too forward. It looks to me like it's too low as well, but as per the previous, it's very difficult to tell from pictures.
  • cyberknight
    OK
    I have put the saddle back a bit and put a 10 mm shorter stem on , off out for a spin after a cuppa :)
    FCN 3/5/9
  • JayKosta
    JayKosta Posts: 635
    Also consider the position of the hoods on the bar.
    Do they force your hands into an uncomfortable position?
    Can you grip them 'naturally' or do you need to rotate or twist your wrists to accomodate the hoods? I prefer to have them slightly rotated 'inward', not 'straight up'.
    Adjust them to 'feel good' to you.

Jay Kosta
    Endwell NY USA
  • cyberknight
    Well got back from my 24 mile "quickie " route , felt better but cramped compared to the old position unless i was riding with arms bent at 90 degrees in an aero position on the hoods , even with non padded gloves my hands did not go numb like before .
    FCN 3/5/9
  • napoleond
    napoleond Posts: 5,992
    Rather than a shorter stem, try some compact bars, Deda zero 1 are great and are about 20 quid.
    They will give you a shorter reach to the hoods, shorter and more comfortable reach to the drops and you can keep the longer stem.
    Insta: ATEnduranceCoaching
    ABCC Cycling Coach
  • cyberknight
    NapoleonD wrote:
    Rather than a shorter stem, try some compact bars, Deda zero 1 are great and are about 20 quid.
    They will give you a shorter reach to the hoods, shorter and more comfortable reach to the drops and you can keep the longer stem.
    Thanks for the help , to everyone .
    I think i will give it a few rides and see , it might be im used to being to stretched at the front .
    FCN 3/5/9
  • sungod
    have put the saddle back a bit and put a 10 mm shorter stem on

once you are ready to tweak things, it's generally better to change just one thing at a time, otherwise you can't really tell what made the difference and assess whether it was good or not
  • Origami02
    Origami02 Posts: 147
    Inside leg measurement aside, how tall are you, and what exact model and frame size is that bike ? Also, 50cm to centre of stem. Is that to the centre of headset retaining bolt or to the centre of the handle bar clamp
  • supermurph09
    supermurph09 Posts: 2,471
    Origami02 wrote:
    Inside leg measurement aside, how tall are you, and what exact model and frame size is that bike ? Also, 50cm to centre of stem. Is that to the centre of headset retaining bolt or to the centre of the handle bar clamp

Can't believe the amount of responses before someone asked that!
  • cyberknight
    Origami02 wrote:
    Sorry i did not reply earlier , no alert for a reply .
    Im 170 cm , 5foot 7" the frame is 53 cm top tube ctr to ctr and the measurement is from saddle tip to center of the handlebar clamp .
    FCN 3/5/9