I am now officially a cycle commuter....

magibob
magibob Posts: 203
edited June 2015 in Commuting chat
1/ Because I said so.

and

2/ Because I have actually commuted to work on my bike, Twice actually.

Feeling pretty chuffed with myself. It's 28 and a bit miles round trip, 13 and a bit out, and 15 and a bit back. Nothing to a lot of people, but as a 55 year old fat bloke......

I did it in about 1 hour 20 each way. The 4 and a half miles from Palma seafront to work is uphill all the way. Imperceptibly so in the car, Pretty damn perceptibly on the bike. Hence similar times each way, despite going the scenic route home.

Gave myself plenty of time to cool off when I got there. No showers at work, but had a big wash, and used baby wipes on the "pits and bits." Followed up with a good spray of perspi-antirant and felt pretty fresh all day. No complaints from the neighbouring desks, so I assume it worked. :wink:

Best thing was I properly enjoyed it. :D Looking forward to the next one. Only issue is time. I play a few nights a week in a band plus have the full time day job. Couple of days off a week, so works out that the next time I can sensibly commute will be next Thursday. That's a week to wait!

Outbound...
20e7cf9b-bb36-42d8-a2d5-dbe04408338f_zpsfa9edvkt.png

And back.
c3cd6333-ec3d-4845-9351-e4eef57d7fbf_zpssbnqoo2d.png

Cheers.

Andy

Comments

• elbowloh
    elbowloh Posts: 7,078
    Well done magiblob.

I am jealous of your commute though. Beats the CS7 through south London.
    Felt F1 2014
    Felt Z6 2012
    Red Arthur Caygill steel frame
    Tall....
    www.seewildlife.co.uk
  • rubertoe
    rubertoe Posts: 3,994
    Its not quite the A1000/A400.

But it will work. Well done.
    "If you always do what you've always done, you'll always get what you've always got."

PX Kaffenback 2 = Work Horse
    B-Twin Alur 700 = Sundays and Hills
  • veronese68
    veronese68 Posts: 27,320
    Excellent, well done. That does look like a very pleasant ride, could be a few distractions along the sea front I should think.
  • markhewitt1978
    markhewitt1978 Posts: 7,614
    Excellent! And a nice place to be cycle commuting - although the traffic in Mallorca isn't as courteous as some would make it out to be.

I suspect you'd be ok in the mornings, but get to August and your pushing above 35C there I guess? That can't be too pleasant.

I was in Mallorca last week, mostly Cala d'Or but went to Palma Nova too, very pleasant riding conditions at about 7am.
  • The Rookie
    The Rookie Posts: 27,812
    Excellent job, well done....

Not at all jealous of you having a commute along the coast in Palma, no, not one bit, although scenic Warwickshire is nice, it's not that nice!
    Currently riding a Whyte T130C, X0 drivetrain, Magura Trail brakes converted to mixed wheel size (homebuilt wheels) with 140mm Fox 34 Rhythm and RP23 suspension. 12.2Kg.
  • Kieran_Burns
    Kieran_Burns Posts: 9,757
    They're all being too polite. We all hate you ;)
    Chunky Cyclists need your love too! :-)
    2009 Specialized Tricross Sport
    2011 Trek Madone 4.5
    2012 Felt F65X
    Proud CX Pervert and quiet roadie. 12 mile commuter
  • magibob
    Thanks for the kind words folks... and... well the words. :)

Gotta say, as a commute, it doesn't suck.

Re the heat, I'm hoping that starting early, and that fact that I'm aiming to be be quite a bit fitter in a couple of months time will mean I get through it OK, Plus, I'm really not clogging it. Averaging under 12 miles an hour moving, and plenty of stops at traffic lights etc in Palma.

Mallorcan Drivers. Funny bunch. In general, I find them much more courteous than I remember from the UK. Mind you, I do a lot of my riding on Cyclepaths, and tends to just be me so I am passable much of the time. Also, I have been driving over here for 10 years, so I am used to their endearing little quirks. ;)
  • The Rookie
    The Rookie Posts: 27,812
    The only way to stay fresh in that sort of heat is to ride early (or very late) and relatively gently, I ride a lot in India and you just accept how it is, no point fighting it!
    Currently riding a Whyte T130C, X0 drivetrain, Magura Trail brakes converted to mixed wheel size (homebuilt wheels) with 140mm Fox 34 Rhythm and RP23 suspension. 12.2Kg.
  • markhewitt1978
    You work at that "Parc BIT"? Looks like a lovely route, the last bit being on 'Cami' type roads which seem to be all over the place in Mallorca and make a good back road network.

I've always said that Mallorca is a lovely place for a holiday but not sure about living there; although with a commute like that I could be persuaded!
  • magibob
    A few pics from the commute home.

Leaving Parc Bit. Happy that the next 4 miles or so are going to be downhill. :)

Start_zpsue3jwjs8.jpg

This sign is a mile or so from work.

I have already gone home once this way as it's not too far out of my way. It's an interesting ride. It is hilly for someone of my age, weight and lack of fitness and I was absolutely knackered by the time I got home... and that was in the car!
    5677c507-63e7-487a-97da-266013bf78ff_zpsoold64qh.jpg

Pretty lanes heading towards Palma.
    Lane_zpspt4txmxe.jpg

Once you hit the outskirts of Palma, it's pretty much cycle paths all the way.
    Bike%20Lane_zpsi8wceyv0.jpg

If I'm out at lunchtime, this place does a good Spag Bol for €4.50.
    Spag%20Bol_zpse9c1lt6a.jpg

On the way home, I usually take a loop out to Portixol past this beach.
    Volly_zpstqdwj6ts.jpg

This sculpture thingy is just past the bay at Portixol. It's exactly 10 miles from here to home.
    10%20mile_zpsouwnnywa.jpg

Past the cathedral...
    Cathedral_zpsesbg41gm.jpg

Cycle path again past the marina.
    Marina_zps6lydzcfe.jpg

Then Road/Bike path through Cala Major, Bendinat and Portals Nous.... then a looooong shower. :)
  • imatfaal
    imatfaal Posts: 2,716
    Very very jealous - looks spectacular. I think the cathedral on my commute is better (westminster abbey) - but other than that you have dirty grey London beaten hands down.
  • Kieran_Burns
    Kieran_Burns Posts: 9,757
    I hate you, I hate you... I really, really hate you.

Keep me away from cats.

muttermutterexpletivemutter
    Chunky Cyclists need your love too! :-)
    2009 Specialized Tricross Sport
    2011 Trek Madone 4.5
    2012 Felt F65X
    Proud CX Pervert and quiet roadie. 12 mile commuter
  • markhewitt1978
    Oh man, that's got to be a dream commute for most people here!