New to SPDs - pins & needles in feet

Andywilliams89
Andywilliams89 Posts: 22
edited May 2015 in MTB general
Hello,

I've recently switched to SPDs for the first time and I'm getting really bad pins and needles in my feet, particularly the toes within about 30 minutes of riding. I realise nobody can tell me exactly what I need to adjust and how to adjust it but if anyone has suffered with the same issue I'd be interested to hear how they fixed it or if anyone has any suggestions on what to try adjusting first that'd be great. I really want to stick with them but having numb feet isn't great. In case it's relevant, I've got Shimano MT34 shoes and Shimano M530 trail pedals.

Any advice much appreciated!
Boardman HT Pro

Comments

• Ferrals
    Ferrals Posts: 785
    I think roadies call it hot feet? Not uncommon I don't think so a bit of googling should throw up some ideas
  • JBA
    JBA Posts: 2,852
    Try loosening your shoe laces a bit.
    “Life has been unfaithful
    And it all promised so so much”

Giant Trance 2 27.5 2016 ¦ Sonder Broken Road 2021¦ Giant Revolt Advanced 2 2019 ¦ Giant Toughtroad SLR 1 2019 ¦ Giant Anthem 3 2015 ¦ Specialized Myka Comp FSR 2009
  • veronese68
    veronese68 Posts: 27,315
    I suspect it's almost certainly your shoes are too tight as JBA says. I did have a similar problem on longer rides cased by too much flex in the soles of an old pair of shoes. If the shoes have excessively soft soles that may be part of the problem, but with new shoes I doubt it.
  • The Rookie
    The Rookie Posts: 27,812
    try moving your cleats back about 5mm, I used to have this, now much better,the cleat was just a fraction too far foraward and loading my toes slightly against pedalling pressure, even though it didn't really feel like it would.
    Currently riding a Whyte T130C, X0 drivetrain, Magura Trail brakes converted to mixed wheel size (homebuilt wheels) with 140mm Fox 34 Rhythm and RP23 suspension. 12.2Kg.
  • Thanks for all the advice. I moved the cleats back and gradually loosened the laces while I was out today and the combination of the 2 made a big difference, no pins and needles at all.
    Boardman HT Pro