Hybrid bike question

Ed Addis
Ed Addis Posts: 6
edited May 2015 in Commuting general
Apologies if this is the wrong place to post this question - I can't find a forum specifically for hybrids. I'm looking at buying a Claud Butler Urban 300 for my partner, and wonder if it's going to be suitable for track and trail as well as road? It's advertised as a hybrid, but the blurb talks about fast commuting, suggesting that it's designed more for road than track - eg non-tarmac, canal towpath, bridleway etc. I'm quite keen to get this one if it's suitable having found a good online deal for it. Any ideas, please?

Thanks

Ed

Comments

• imatfaal
    imatfaal Posts: 2,716
    I would say that 38mm tyres with pretty low gearing with a treble (three rings at the front) would be pretty good for mild trails and paths. Fast road commuters would tend to have 23-28 mm tyres and a bit higher gearing. But try it out - 300 quid is a lot to spend without testing it :-)
  • The Rookie
    The Rookie Posts: 27,812
    Unless you are getting it at a big discount off the RRP (£370) that bike is really bad value, check out the Voodoo Marasa at Halfords, very competent bike, hydraulic brakes and 8 speed instead of cable and 7, as well as better prats and alloy forks all for just over £300.
    Currently riding a Whyte T130C, X0 drivetrain, Magura Trail brakes converted to mixed wheel size (homebuilt wheels) with 140mm Fox 34 Rhythm and RP23 suspension. 12.2Kg.
  • Ed Addis
    Ed Addis Posts: 6
    It's actually selling at £200 at the moment. Is that still bad value?
  • The Rookie
    The Rookie Posts: 27,812
    At £200 it's pretty good value, yes.
    Currently riding a Whyte T130C, X0 drivetrain, Magura Trail brakes converted to mixed wheel size (homebuilt wheels) with 140mm Fox 34 Rhythm and RP23 suspension. 12.2Kg.
  • apreading
    apreading Posts: 4,535
    The Rookie wrote:
    Unless you are getting it at a big discount off the RRP (£370) that bike is really bad value, check out the Voodoo Marasa at Halfords, very competent bike, hydraulic brakes and 8 speed instead of cable and 7, as well as better prats and alloy forks all for just over £300.

The prats alone must be worth £300 - I could do with some prats! :lol: