Greg Henderson just accused Fabio Aru of doping on Twitter!

Comments

• rick_chasey
    rick_chasey Posts: 72,244
    Not an official googlewhack however.
  • Paul 8v
    Paul 8v Posts: 5,458
    How come? (I'm not up on the Google whack rules obviously!)
  • mididoctors
    mididoctors Posts: 16,646
    I'm annoyed tbh. (within the context of this, which, compared to actual annoyances, is fairly small....)

I'm fairly meh about doping, but even I like the illusion of of clean racing. No-one likes cheating if you can see it.

When the guys get busted afterwards at least I had the illusion it was all OK when i was watching it. When I find out later on I don't care too much usually, because I've already had my fun with that race. Sure if there's a monumental performance I'll want to google I'd rather it be clean, but you know what I mean.

Now I have the worst of both worlds. Aru will still be racing, but I'll sit there thinking he's cheating.

get involved in mentoring young riders who want to make it as pros...I would guess this whatever attitude of yours would change real quick. moreover the ability to compartmentalise so your viewing pleasure is unaffected will never materialise now. it will always comes out messy these days.
    "If I was a 38 year old man, I definitely wouldn't be riding a bright yellow bike with Hello Kitty disc wheels, put it that way. What we're witnessing here is the world's most high profile mid-life crisis" Afx237vi Mon Jul 20, 2009 2:43 pm
  • rick_chasey
    Paul 8v wrote:
    How come? (I'm not up on the Google whack rules obviously!)

Gotta be actual legitimate words. Ian4for isn't.

And FWIW, it now brings up 2 results as google has indexed the thread ;)
  • rick_chasey
    I'm annoyed tbh. (within the context of this, which, compared to actual annoyances, is fairly small....)

I'm fairly meh about doping, but even I like the illusion of of clean racing. No-one likes cheating if you can see it.

When the guys get busted afterwards at least I had the illusion it was all OK when i was watching it. When I find out later on I don't care too much usually, because I've already had my fun with that race. Sure if there's a monumental performance I'll want to google I'd rather it be clean, but you know what I mean.

Now I have the worst of both worlds. Aru will still be racing, but I'll sit there thinking he's cheating.

get involved in mentoring young riders who want to make it as pros...I would guess this whatever attitude of yours would change real quick. moreover the ability to compartmentalise so your viewing pleasure is unaffected will never materialise now. it will always comes out messy these days.

Probably. We all know doping's bad right? Don't think anyone, even me, is disputing that.

Point stands though. What's the point? Aru's still gonna ride.
  • Elfed
    Elfed Posts: 459
    Why is GH turning out to be the villain in this thread???

Surely we all know that when professional sportsmen speak out like this there's usually some evidence?

The rest is a Clinic matter.
  • rick_chasey
    Elfed wrote:
    Why is GH turning out to be the villain in this thread???

Surely we all know that when professional sportsmen speak out like this there's usually some evidence?

Ah, the daily mail "no smoke without fire" argument.

If Greg's serious about this he should be working closely with the authorities.

It's not up to riders to single people out. Otherwise you'd just point the finger at any big rival at a time most inconvenient to them.

Aru will still ride so nothing has been achieved by going onto Twitter.
  • frenchfighter
    frenchfighter Posts: 30,642
    So looks like Aru's lawyers are definitely sueing which is good news. Hopefully the UCI also fine Greg.
    Contador is the Greatest
  • So looks like Aru's lawyers are definitely sueing which is good news.

It won't be good news if it turns out Aru is a doper. There may be no evidence in the public domain yet but it is doubtful that Henderson would have said what he did say without there being plenty of strong suspicion within the peloton. A foolish action by Henderson, from a legal point of view, but perhaps he is correct in what he is saying. Time will tell..........

DD.
  • The_Boy
    The_Boy Posts: 3,099
    Henderson is only marginally less bad than the fucknuggets on the tweeters.
    Team My Man 2018: David gaudu, Pierre Latour, Romain Bardet, Thibaut pinot, Alexandre Geniez, Florian Senechal, Warren Barguil, Benoit Cosnefroy
  • LeePaton
    LeePaton Posts: 353
    Talk up, Stay quiet... Can we all come to an agreement on what the protocol; should be for Pros when they know something we don't or isn't in the open yet?

Can't remember this reaction when Kittel called out the Turk riders...
    It's not so much about winning, I just hate losing.
  • adr82
    adr82 Posts: 4,002
    edited April 2015
    LeePaton wrote:
    Talk up, Stay quiet... Can we all come to an agreement on what the protocol; should be for Pros when they know something we don't or isn't in the open yet?
    Wikileaks! Then we can just have an anonymous free-for-all...
  • The_Boy
    The_Boy Posts: 3,099
    LeePaton wrote:

Can't remember this reaction when Kittel called out the Turk riders...

Which reaction would that be? The reactions on this thread have been many and varied, as I'm sure they were when Kittel called out the Torku team.
    Team My Man 2018: David gaudu, Pierre Latour, Romain Bardet, Thibaut pinot, Alexandre Geniez, Florian Senechal, Warren Barguil, Benoit Cosnefroy
  • Pross
    Pross Posts: 40,217
    There may be no evidence in the public domain yet but it is doubtful that Henderson would have said what he did say without there being plenty of strong suspicion within the peloton.
    Suspicion, no matter how strong, doesn’t justify Henderson’s statement. False suspicions arise for all sorts of reasons and the consequences of acting on them can be devastating. Even if Aru turns out to be a doper, I hope Henderson loses money over this.

What if it's a known rather than a suspicion? Sure it should come out through official channels but if there's an open secret in the peloton that there has been a passport violation and the rider is still allowed to ride perhaps it's understandable that some riders get fed up and speak out? Personally I'd rather it is done through the official process but riders get criticised for not speaking out and criticised for speaking out.
  • andy_wrx
    andy_wrx Posts: 3,396
    Perhaps it would have been better to have Twittered "Open rumour in the peloton is that Aru is a doper", which could certainly be proven.

So we're keen on a rider threatening another with lawyers are we ?
    - what was the quote : "I have lots of money and powerful lawyers and I will destroy you" or something similar ?
  • Anonymous
    Anonymous Posts: 79,667
    So we moan about the omerta, and moan about riders speaking openly about doping.

Cycling fans...
  • rick_chasey
    sjmclean wrote:
    So we moan about the omerta, and moan about riders speaking openly about doping.

Cycling fans...

We're all the same ;).
  • iainf72
    iainf72 Posts: 15,784
    andy_wrx wrote:
    Perhaps it would have been better to have Twittered "Open rumour in the peloton is that Aru is a doper", which could certainly be proven.

So we're keen on a rider threatening another with lawyers are we ?
    - what was the quote : "I have lots of money and powerful lawyers and I will destroy you" or something similar ?

If Aru isn't under a passport investigation or letter, what would the appropriate response be? Especially considering people just seem to accept Hendo is right?
    Fckin' Quintana … that creep can roll, man.
  • tim000
    tim000 Posts: 718
    I think the suspicion was there before the comment.
  • A L T I T U D E
    I'm sorry you don't believe in miracles
  • mididoctors
    mididoctors Posts: 16,646

Probably. We all know doping's bad right? Don't think anyone, even me, is disputing that.

Point stands though. What's the point? Aru's still gonna ride.

and this gossip is going to continue which is kinda my point. there's even less point moaning about that!

:D
    "If I was a 38 year old man, I definitely wouldn't be riding a bright yellow bike with Hello Kitty disc wheels, put it that way. What we're witnessing here is the world's most high profile mid-life crisis" Afx237vi Mon Jul 20, 2009 2:43 pm
  • Rob85_
    Rob85_ Posts: 29
    I think it's a good thing if people can say what they are thinking. Surely there must be some truth or at least more than just his suspicion for him to openly say that. Seems quite odd otherwise, he must know the potential damage it could cause.

But ultimately would it not be better to go to the UCI? Or is there a feeling they are not doing enough, I feel Brian Cookson is trying to do things properly but what do I know.

The whole things is slightly worrying.
  • frenchfighter
    frenchfighter Posts: 30,642
    Aru files a defamation lawsuit against Greg. Go get him.

http://www.cyclingweekly.co.uk/news/lat ... ets-172267

ps. rubbish rider Greg is in the Giro. I wonder if they have had words.
    Contador is the Greatest
  • blazing_saddles
    blazing_saddles Posts: 21,741
    Aru files a defamation lawsuit against Greg. Go get him.

http://www.cyclingweekly.co.uk/news/lat ... ets-172267

ps. rubbish rider Greg is in the Giro. I wonder if they have had words.

Straight of the Armstrong playbook.
    I guess the truth must hurt.........................a lot.
    "Science is a tool for cheaters". An anonymous French PE teacher.
  • dolan_driver
    dolan_driver Posts: 831
    Here is a quote from the article on Cycling News on this story;

"the legal action has been taken ‘to protect the good name and honour of Fabio Aru and the team (Astana) he rides for.”

Surely they taketh the urine with the underlined!!!! :lol: You can't sue to protect something that doesn't exist. Aru may well have no positive dope test against his name but GH wouldn't have said something if there weren't strong suspicions within the peloton about him. He is riding on a team that failed a shed load of dope tests last year led by one of the most prolific, unrepentant dopers from the last twenty years and (almost) every man and his dog is having trouble believing what they are seeing currently from Astana on the Giro. Let's see how it all pans out in the next few weeks and months.

DD.
  • joelsim
    joelsim Posts: 7,552
    Greg should just think of any damages that have to be paid as being an investment which will pay dividends at some point in the near future
  • Macaloon
    Macaloon Posts: 5,545
    Anyone volunteered to run the Hendo defence fund yet?
    ...a rare 100% loyal Pro Race poster. A poster boy for the community.
  • rick_chasey
    Greg'll be pleased he didn't say it in the UK....
  • blazing_saddles
    blazing_saddles Posts: 21,741
    http://cyclingtips.com.au/2015/05/the-s ... -and-more/
    The whole Astana situation is something that’s been the talk of the peloton for a fair while now. I for one haven’t got a clue what the UCI were up to when they allowed Astana to keep their licence. The team and their situation pisses so many people off; they’re a joke really.

And as for Fabio Aru, well, I’ll keep my mouth shut. I’ll learn from the mistake made by Greg Henderson, a man I have huge respect for. To people who say the omertà is still alive and that riders should just speak out if they know something: get a grip. In this day and age throwing around accusations without evidence is tough; you can’t say anything for fear of getting sued. But I know after Greg Henderson put “that” tweet out many people made the effort to shake his hand and praise him for saying what he did.
    "Science is a tool for cheaters". An anonymous French PE teacher.
  • joelsim
    joelsim Posts: 7,552
    More baseless innuendo, this time without even a name beside it. Not cool.

Or it's someone just saying it how it is.