Recovery drinks

secretsam
secretsam Posts: 5,098
edited June 2015 in Road beginners
Are these worth the bother? I did a 47 mile ride yesterday, longest for some time, and quaffed some M&S chocolate milk after :lol: - which seems to have done the trick, legs fine this morning (apart from some sunburn :oops: )

I've used For Goodness Shakes in the past (which are very nice) and High 5 shakes (which were pretty vile) - anyone got any advice and opinions on this?

It's just a hill. Get over it.

Comments

• Grill
    Grill Posts: 5,610
    No, chocolate milk is just as good (and the same stuff really). The best protein for recovery is casein which is found in milk, so there's no point in buying the expensive stuff.
    English Cycles V3 | Cervelo P5 | Cervelo T4 | Trek Domane Koppenberg
  • k3vinjam3s
    k3vinjam3s Posts: 266
    Fruit smoothie for me, banana, frozen fruit from aldi (at the moment it's mangos and dark blackberries) Greek yoghurt, peanut butter, honey, milk and whey protein powder. Good fast acting carbs and protein to jump start muscle repair. Also I'll add oats if I don't think I'll be eating a meal for a few hours.
  • sungod
    sungod Posts: 16,517
    if you are ok with milk it's similar to many recovery drinks albeit often higher in fat, if milk makes you feel sick then it's not so good

personally i prefer the high5 choc one (although the new flavour isn't as good as the old one), unlike milk i don't feel sick after drinking it, it also allows making up on the fly with water

if you do the research you'll find that the generally recommended carb:protein ratio is not met by plain milk, the extra sugar in milkshakes brings many to similar levels, some have much more sugar than you might think

as for expense, if you shop around then for high5+water vs. plain milk for comparable protein intake the extra cost per serving is trivial, and last time i bothered looking high5+water worked out cheaper than buying milkshakes
    my bike - faster than god's and twice as shiny
  • apreading
    apreading Posts: 4,535
    Just to clarify, the High 5 Chocolate and Summer Fruits versions can be mixed with either water or milk. The Banana one needs milk. The chocolate one is fine with water and this is really convenient - havent tried summer fruits yet. Banana is OK with milk but dont have it often as not so easy. Buy the sachets, carry one on a sportive and at the end fill up your water bottle and mix in - soooo easy and no having to run around to find a milkshake to buy.

Milshake does most of the same but as some have said also contains much more fat. Plain milk doesnt have the carbs. Pasta with salmon would also be good!
  • Grill
    Skim milk has a higher carb to protein ratio and zero fat (as the fat is replaced with sugar). Just mix it with some Nesquik and you're good. You can also go with a banana and a handful of nuts and get the same nutrition.

Truth is though, that the need for recovery drinks is mainly to sell said recovery products. I have noticed zero difference in performance when taking recovery to not taking recovery. Just paying for the placebo.
  • sungod
    sungod Posts: 16,517
    Grill wrote:
    Skim milk has a higher carb to protein ratio and zero fat (as the fat is replaced with sugar). Just mix it with some Nesquik and you're good. You can also go with a banana and a handful of nuts and get the same nutrition.

Truth is though, that the need for recovery drinks is mainly to sell said recovery products. I have noticed zero difference in performance when taking recovery to not taking recovery. Just paying for the placebo.

truth?

what you prefer is not automatically 'truth', it is simply what you prefer

you do what you prefer, but do not claim it is 'truth', to me your way is a hassle and costs more*

*though cost is not a factor for me, i just like the taste and lack of milk-based nausea!
    my bike - faster than god's and twice as shiny
  • apreading
    Grill wrote:

That certainly isnt the truth for me. Aching muscles for a day or two after 100Km + rides or taking recovery drink, I can take my pick. Even more so if I am doing a week long tour of these mileages and need to go again the next day, and the day after, and dont want fatigue creeping in. Generally not required for lesser mileage though.
  • Grill
    Placebo. But hey, if ya'lls want to waste your cash be my guest.
  • ugo.santalucia
    ugo.santalucia Posts: 28,235
    Recovery drink for a 47 mile ride? I mean, really? :roll:
    left the forum March 2023
  • Origami02
    Origami02 Posts: 147
    edited May 2015
    + 1 for High 5 recovery. I find it noticeably more effective than the SIS equivalent, which rather negates the placebo argument.
    Everyone will have their own views on this, so while you -for one- sound quite unequivocal, I think you'll find others' views are more mixed Grill...
  • Origami02

you appear to have forgotten 3 things :

1) This thread is in "Road beginners"

2) Intensity is at least as significant in depleting/exhausting the body's reserves as distance.

3) Posting simply to be disparaging is against the rules, and really not necessary or helpful. Please have a read of rule 9 . :roll:
  • kajjal
    kajjal Posts: 3,380
    apreading wrote:
    Grill wrote:

That certainly isnt the truth for me. Aching muscles for a day or two after 100Km + rides or taking recovery drink, I can take my pick. Even more so if I am doing a week long tour of these mileages and need to go again the next day, and the day after, and dont want fatigue creeping in. Generally not required for lesser mileage though.

I find the same but pretty much any chocolate milkshake works for me to stop minor muscle aches the next day.
  • norvernrob
    norvernrob Posts: 1,447
    I keep reading how recovery drinks are a rip off and all you need is chocolate milk - as pointed out above it often works out more expensive buying milkshakes, so I'm not sure where the rip off is. The High 5 recovery stuff works out around 60-70p per serving.

I usually have a couple of scoops of protein, milk, a banana or two and some frozen berries all blended up. I don't care if it makes a difference or not, it tastes really nice and is filling too.
  • southdownswolf
    southdownswolf Posts: 1,525
    Milkshake for me. Tastes much nicer than protein drinks and we always have milkshake in the house.

Where can you buy the High5 drink for 60-70p at recommended serving levels? Looking at recommended serving levels, places like Evans etc work out at nearly £1 per 500ml serving even when mixed with water.
    Milkshake works out about 45-50p per 500ml.
  • apreading
    Milkshake for me. Tastes much nicer than protein drinks and we always have milkshake in the house.

Where can you buy the High5 drink for 60-70p at recommended serving levels? Looking at recommended serving levels, places like Evans etc work out at nearly £1 per 500ml serving even when mixed with water.
    Milkshake works out about 45-50p per 500ml.

Wiggle £7.88 for 9 sachets or CRC £7.20 (£7.99 less 10% discount for British Cycling) - 80p per sachet
    normally cheaper if you buy a tub but I prefer convenience of these.

Plus I get mine free these days from Evans Cycles Rideit events - For £10 total, my son and I do a ride and get a free High5 race pack each and another free small box of samples - I end up with so many gels and powders and stuff that I give them away these days...
  • Anonymous
    Anonymous Posts: 79,667
    Grill wrote:

How is it wasting cash? M&S chocolate milk is dearer isn't it?
    People on here say they have a McDonalds milkshake.
    Would you tell someone they were wasting their money if they dared to have one of those?

I like to mix specific sports nutrition with 'normal' food personally.
    Just be sensible about it, try different things, and do what works for you.

Convenience, placebo, treat/reward, enjoyment of taste and variety are all big plus points of nutrition IMO.
    If they work technically then its almost just a bonus.

If you did a sportive or race on a hot day, ow are you going to get M&S chocolate milk before you get home (which could be a fair time)?
    You need the recovery soon after the effort don't you?
  • diy
    diy Posts: 6,473
    More important to have a good stretch after. But any combo of carbs/protein is good recovery food assuming you have low enough body fat to need it. A cappuccino would also work.
  • secretsam
    secretsam Posts: 5,098
    Carbonator wrote:
    Grill wrote:

IIRC, the milk was about £1.50, in an M&S Pimply food

Yes, seriously, I'm quite heavy and not that fit and I get achey legs after exercise. Plus I was tired and needed my lunch. Sorry for not being Contador's long-lost twin but that's just the way I am :lol:

It's just a hill. Get over it.
  • nferrar
    nferrar Posts: 2,511
    I just have milk but I only bother if it's been a hard ride and I'm looking to ride in the couple of days after otherwise I don't see a lot of point.
  • Origami02
    Carbonator wrote:
    Grill wrote:

Would you tell someone they were wasting their money if they dared to have one of those?

Within 30 minutes of exercise, is reckoned to be the optimum window for consuming recovery nutrition.
  • ugo.santalucia
    SecretSam wrote:
    Yes, seriously, I'm quite heavy and not that fit and I get achey legs after exercise. Plus I was tired and needed my lunch. Sorry for not being Contador's long-lost twin but that's just the way I am :lol:

The reason why neither you nor I are the size of Contador is because we tend to overestimate the amount of calories involved in cycling and underestimate the calories we actually eat.
    Every time I spend a weekend away for a big sportive I come back heavier... guesswork says I've used 3-4000 KCal, yet I seem to have more than exceeded that in the intake.
    As for recovery drinks... there was a cheap as chips experiment on a TV program where they showed how a pint of milk is better than a recovery drink, in terms of hydration, protein content, minerals etc...
    When it comes to sport nutrition, I am on the opposite side of the fence... yes if it is the handiest way to "fuel" yourself with something you can carry in your pocket, no if you actually have the time to eat or drink something which is not made in a chemistry plant.
    To be honest, what comes out the back side after using gels, powders and recovery drinks is quite frightening...
    Don't bother, you don't need it
  • Anonymous
    SecretSam wrote:
    yes if it is the handiest way to "fuel" yourself with something you can carry in your pocket, no if you actually have the time to eat or drink something which is not made in a chemistry plant.

Nicely put ;-)
    Not all nutrition is nuclear waste though is it?
  • ugo.santalucia
    Carbonator wrote:
    Not all nutrition is nuclear waste though is it?

Bars are fine... but gels, drinks and powders seem to be rather nasty on the digestive system... what comes out of it can be treated as nuclear waste... :wink:
  • Anonymous
    Torq recovery for example seem to claim naturally derived ingredients or ones that naturally occur within the body, with no artificial colours, flavourings or sweeteners.

BS, or better for you than some/most?
  • Grill
    Carbonator wrote:
    Grill wrote:

I like to mix specific sports nutrition with 'normal' food personally.
    Just be sensible about it, try different things, and do what works for you.

Convenience, placebo, treat/reward, enjoyment of taste and variety are all big plus points of nutrition IMO.
    If they work technically then its almost just a bonus.

If you did a sportive or race on a hot day, ow are you going to get M&S chocolate milk before you get home (which could be a fair time)?

I'm saying any recovery product (milkshake/chocolate milk/etc. included) is a waste of money. Just eat like normal and you'll be fine.
  • apreading
    I'm saying any recovery product (milkshake/chocolate milk/etc. included) is a waste of money. Just eat like normal and you'll be fine.

Fascinating - just in the last week you have informed us that all Physiotherapists are idiots and worthless, no need for them and core fitness is b****cks and of no benefit whatsoever to a cyclist because body condition does not matter at all and stretching etc is a waste of time and now that any form of nutritional science is b****hit and a waste of money.

It must be great to be the only person in the world who sees things as they are, unlike the completely delusional population who havent a clue and are just out to get you...!
  • Origami02
    Grill wrote:

In your opinion.
  • Origami02

Bars are fine... but gels, drinks and powders seem to be rather nasty on the digestive system...... :wink:

In your experience. :wink:

I think the point is being missed here, no would suggest that gels, recovery drinks etc are "better than" or used "instead of" normal nutrition. However, in my experience, they do work and are easy to have to hand when needed most.
    A gel, like a condom, can be the difference between bonking or not bonking. Gels are easier to carry than pizza, don't melt in the jersey pocket quite as easily as Mars bars and are less bulky than bananas. Carrying 3 or 4, for a long ride, is not a problem.
    Recovery drinks (in whatever form) are convenient as it's easy to get one into your system within the 30 minute post exercise window. This could easily be whilst driving home from an event, washing off your bike, or even on the way to the shower.
    Try doing any of those things whilst preparing a "snack" from the fridge .
  • Grill
    Origami02 wrote:
    Grill wrote:

In your opinion.

Sure, based on much longer and harder rides than most have done. ;)
  • brettjmcc
    brettjmcc Posts: 1,361
    As for recovery drinks... there was a cheap as chips experiment on a TV program where they showed how a pint of milk is better than a recovery drink, in terms of hydration, protein content, minerals etc...

I believe that programme compared milk against Lucozade Sport, not really comparing products in the same area they are meant to be used for.
    BMC GF01
    Quintana Roo Cd01
    Project High End Hack
    Cannondale Synapse SL (gone)
    I like Carbon