Front cogs not shifting - any temporary fix?

pinkteapot
pinkteapot Posts: 367
edited May 2015 in The workshop
Bike is booked in for service on 12th June, but now in need of a temporary fix until then, if possible....

A few months ago I started having laggy down-changes on the rear cogs and managed to fix it by tweaking the indexing adjustment. Though I am now having laggy rear changes in both directions. Bike is two years and 2,500 miles old and has never had a chain clean, so I've probably killed the chain and/or cables.

Bigger problem: I'm now having VERY laggy down-changes on the front (we're talking up to a minute before it shifts). I can't see an indexing adjustment screw on the front? Do the front cogs not have one? I looked up front gear adjustments online and got entirely confused. :? I'm pretty much stuck with choosing one front cog to use until 12th June unless I can work something out. :oops:

These are the bike components, if it makes a difference:
http://whyte.bike/2012/bike_page.php?ModNo=W-1-022-12

Comments

• imatfaal
    imatfaal Posts: 2,716
    pinkteapot wrote:
    Bike is booked in for service on 12th June, but now in need of a temporary fix until then, if possible....

A few months ago I started having laggy down-changes on the rear cogs and managed to fix it by tweaking the indexing adjustment. Though I am now having laggy rear changes in both directions. Bike is two years and 2,500 miles old and has never had a chain clean, so I've probably killed the chain and/or cables.

Bigger problem: I'm now having VERY laggy down-changes on the front (we're talking up to a minute before it shifts). I can't see an indexing adjustment screw on the front? Do the front cogs not have one? I looked up front gear adjustments online and got entirely confused. :? I'm pretty much stuck with choosing one front cog to use until 12th June unless I can work something out. :oops:

These are the bike components, if it makes a difference:
    http://whyte.bike/2012/bike_page.php?ModNo=W-1-022-12

Is there not a cable adjustment doogit on the shifter itself - it is a knurled ring on the shifter just where the cable comes out. It will be very very stiff and I would recommend a few squirts of lube before attempting to move it.

On the whole it sounds as if you have worn down the cassette, rear mech and chain rings by using an old worn out and stretched chain
  • The Rookie
    The Rookie Posts: 27,812
    Learn to DIY maintain, little point paying for a 'service' once it's in fact 'change the whole drivetrain' really.
    Currently riding a Whyte T130C, X0 drivetrain, Magura Trail brakes converted to mixed wheel size (homebuilt wheels) with 140mm Fox 34 Rhythm and RP23 suspension. 12.2Kg.
  • davis
    davis Posts: 2,506
    Have you cleaned the drivetrain?
    Sometimes parts break. Sometimes you crash. Sometimes it’s your fault.