newbie {kind of mainly stupid} tyre question

upandover35
upandover35 Posts: 4
edited May 2015 in MTB beginners
ok so i have new bike which is a 650 b boardman to be exact the tyres on my old trustee steed were high rollers and tyres on new bike are racing ralphs which i found a bit lethal no grip on climbs and fatal on the downs so though i will get high rollers they dont fit why is my question this is the rim http://www.evanscycles.com/products/mav ... m-ec054039

and tyre is http://www.wiggle.co.uk/maxxis-high-rol ... ding-tyre/

i know this is a downhill tyre on an xc bike but did this with last bike no problems and i will forfeit the drag for extra grip any help would be appreciated
thanks

Comments

• dj58
    dj58 Posts: 2,217
    The recommend tyre sizes for that rim are 1.50 - 2.30.

DIMENSIONS
    ETRTO size 26": 559 x 19
    ETRTO size 650/27.5": 584 x 19
    ETRTO size 29": 622 x 19

Recommended tyre widths: 1.50 to 2.30
    Valve hole diameter: 8.5 mm, supplied with valve adapter
    Recommended nipple length: 12 mm
    Recommended rim tape: Mavic UST rim tape
  • cheers
  • cyd190468 wrote:
    There's no reason why any 650B tyre can't fit to any 650B rim. They may be hard to fit as the side wall on those High Rollers is thick and stiff, but 650B is 650B.

its not a too tight issue and i get what you saying you can pass the rim through the tyre its way oversized spoke to wiggle where i got them from and they were suprised too
  • dj58
    dj58 Posts: 2,217
    Do you mean that when you fit the tyre to the rim it is bigger than the stated 2.4 size and that the tyre fouls the fork and frame, or do you mean that the tyre bead is a larger diameter than rim bead seat?
  • rockmonkeysc
    rockmonkeysc Posts: 14,774
    It should fit on those rims fine. It won't ride great, you're going to get a bit of a balloon type profile with the narrow rim.
    The High-flyer isn't a downhill tyre but it is an enduro tyre so pretty heavy duty.
    I would try something like a Continental Trail King 2.2" or Specialized Ground Control or Schwalbe Nobby Nice.
    The Racing Ralph you have is the nasty wire bead, ultra hard compound plastic rubbish. The better versions are actually very good.
  • mattyfez
    mattyfez Posts: 638
    I was running 2 rocket rons, the newer fancy triple compound ones which I was pretty pleased with. Pretty good balance between speed/weight and grip for more XC type riding.

Put them on to replace the frankly lethal oem kenda tyres that can on the bike, I say oem as there's no discernible model name on them, I guess they are kendas cheapest tyre!

I recently replaced the rear ron as I damaged the sidewall with an older model ralph 'performance' compound, which I got cheap, but it's definitely a bit more 'sketchy' in terms of grip, it should in theory be a little faster, but I've yet to have a clean enough run to make a decision.

All these tyres are 26x2.1, the oem kendas were wire bead, (I've kept them as emergency spares) but the rons and the ralph are folding, running with standard conti tubes. Maybe have a look at the 2.1 ron.. Dunno if that's any help.
  • asdfhjkl
    asdfhjkl Posts: 333
    cyd190468 wrote:
    There's no reason why any 650B tyre can't fit to any 650B rim. They may be hard to fit as the side wall on those High Rollers is thick and stiff, but 650B is 650B.

its not a too tight issue and i get what you saying you can pass the rim through the tyre its way oversized spoke to wiggle where i got them from and they were suprised too

Did you try to actually install the tyre? It'll take proper shape once you stick it on the rim but until then, the (presumably) folding bead will be bigger than the diameter of your wheel.
  • njicasetg
    njicasetg Posts: 2
    They may be hard to fit as the side wall on those High Rollers is thick and stiff, but 650B is 650B.jy4Grj