Top end Bib shorts

AllezAllezAllez
AllezAllezAllez Posts: 207
edited January 2016 in Road buying advice
Hi All,

Are £100+ bib shorts worth the money?

So far I've always bought DHB at around £70 a pair, but as I've increased by ride frequency and length of ride I've been looking at higher price bibs. I looked at a pair of Rapha Classics but stop short of buying them as the don't seem that much better than mid range bibs. I suppose you only really know after a long ride and can't really tell stood in a shop.

I was really happy when I bought a Gore winter soft shell and rain jacket as you can really feel the difference when compared to mid range products.

I don't mind spending the money, just want to make sure my money is being well spent!

Comments

• Bobbinogs
    Bobbinogs Posts: 4,841
    It's all a bit subjective and the usual law of diminishing returns kicks in too. Are £100 shorts twice as good as £50 shorts? Not really. Are £200 shorts twice as good again? Some folks ride in cheap shorts and say they are fine for the LEJOG, others cannot seem to ride around the block unless they are garbed head to foot in Assos, looking like Captain Marvel.

Personally, I like some good quality shorts (Castelli FAR and Body Paint, which were a gift) because they are well made and fit me great. Then again, I have some Santini ones that were only £70 and they are nice too. I wouldn't spend the extra dosh on Rapha or Assos but then I don't have the disposable cash that some folks do.
  • DKay
    DKay Posts: 1,652
    You notice the quality difference more on longer rides. But if your rides are 50miles long or less, then cheaper bibs are perfectly fine. Personally, I buy more expensive bibs, but only when they're on offer. For instance, I've just bought some Sportful Bodyfit bibs at 50% off from Wiggle and own several pairs of really nice Exteondo summer bibs which were 50% off at Merlin. I very rarely buy bike clothing at full price.
  • meanredspider
    meanredspider Posts: 12,337
    As above, I buy good stuff but never close to RRP. I have some Assos bibs that have lasted me years of doing 50k roadie commute and, whilst they're a bit faded, they're in great nick. I bought some Castelli Nanoflex ones and the pad was horrible and the lettering peeled off in a couple of months. My experience says that you can tell the pricier stuff is better made - the trick is to buy it as cheaply as possible.
    ROAD < Scott Foil HMX Di2, Volagi Liscio Di2, Jamis Renegade Elite Di2, Cube Reaction Race > ROUGH
  • SoSimple
    SoSimple Posts: 301
    Also bought those Exteondo bibs in the Merlin sale and like the OP have previously gone for the top end DHB bibs and thought they were great.

Nothing wrong with the DHB's but the Exteondo's are a different class, both in terms of look/feel but also comfort on longer (75+) rides. Could I bring myself to pay full price....not sure!
  • kajjal
    kajjal Posts: 3,380
    As above i buy it when on sale at half price or better.
  • Tiesetrotter
    Tiesetrotter Posts: 432
    These are my go to 100km+ ride shorts. I also have the wind proof ones for cooler days.

http://www.assosfactoryoutlet.com/t-fi-mille-s5-regularleg-black.html
  • Anonymous
    Anonymous Posts: 79,667
    I also have Assos S5's as my long distance/time in saddle (the reason you buy very decent ones) bib shorts.
    They are very different to any others I own and I will probably be getting another pair soon as it's just not worth getting more of the inferior ones IMO.

For longer rides I would say they were twice as good as (my) ones costing half the price.
    They are also fantastic for consecutive days riding.

You get a lot of haters as the price goes up but sadly that's life I guess.

As you have found the Gore jacket to be worth the extra cost (some people will swear a Lidl one is just as good/better value for money), why do you doubt it will be the same for bibshorts?
  • chrisw12
    chrisw12 Posts: 1,246
    I've done all day/night rides, a few 12hr tt's and all the training that involves and I used to swear by my Assos shorts. I wouldn't wear my club skinsuit in a 12hr because of the pad and instead wore my Assos bibs. But that was a few years ago and in hindsight I was using a saddle which wasn't fit for purpose, it was before you could get specific tt/tri saddles. Now I'm on a saddle that works I think I could probably wear shorts without an insert if needed but I'm not going to try that.

All that being said, I'm finding the fit of the shorts to be more important than the pad or the price. I have shorts which are now too big on me (I've lost weight) and they move around slightly causing major discomfort. I have a nice pair of Castelli which for some reason are tight at the very top and cause my hip flexors to feel pinched.

So what I'm trying to say, price irrelevant. Sort out saddle first then get a pair that fit properly.
  • handful
    handful Posts: 920
    In my view bibs will not make an uncomfortable saddle comfortable however much you spend but can make a difference on a long ride with a saddle that fits. I have some cheap pairs which I wouldn't buy again, some DHB pros that are ok, some Exteondo Orhis that are good, some Castelli Free aero that are very good. My favorite so far are a new pair of Pactimo Raptors which are excellent. These can be had for 30% off the advertised price with some knowledge which I would be happy to share with anyone interested in trying some. I paid £87.50 for mine which is a bargain for the quality, the pad is amazing and I would imagine at least a comparative quality to Assos etc.
    Vaaru Titanium Sram Red eTap
    Moda Chord with drop bars and Rival shifters - winter/do it all bike
    Orbea Rise
  • Grill
    Grill Posts: 5,610
    Once you wear the Assos S7 T.Cento you'll wonder how you wore anything else.
    English Cycles V3 | Cervelo P5 | Cervelo T4 | Trek Domane Koppenberg
  • fat guy hat
    fat guy hat Posts: 16
    Thanks to this thread I'm now looking at buying a pair of normal cycling shorts (non bib) from that Assos outlet place.

How does Assos come up size wise?
  • Bobbinogs
    Bobbinogs Posts: 4,841
    There's a very good reason why the vast majority of cyclists wear bib shorts...and if you are considering decent shorts then bibs will make a massive difference as they keep everything in place and avoid any discomfort around the midriff.
    If you are a bit chunky and worried about fit, then try a few sizes and see what works. Different brands and versions also vary the girth/length, etc...but non-bib shorts are rarely the right solution.
  • fat guy hat
    5'11" and flexing 16st 6lbs at the moment! This is dropping by 2 or 3 lbs a week a the moment though.
  • daniel_b
    daniel_b Posts: 11,538
    edited May 2015
    Just ordered the last Pactimo reflectives in my size (Thanks for the code handful) as have also heard good things about them, so will be interested see how they turn out - hopefully as good as people say!
    Felt F70 05 (Turbo)
    Marin Palisades Trail 91 and 06
    Scott CR1 SL 12
    Cannondale Synapse Adventure 15 & 16 Di2
    Scott Foil 18
  • jaxf
    jaxf Posts: 109
    one of the reasons to go for Rapha is the 'free' crash repair (built into the price). I don't get on so well with their shorts and bibs as I do with Assos, but that crash repair is just great after an off. That's one reason why all my jackets are Rapha.
    I reckon there are 3 factors with bibs / shorts that you pay a premium for
    1) the quality of the pad, maybe doesn't count on a short ride, but I always think 4 or 5 hours into a ride and being uncomfortable, you'd regret saving a couple of quid, and pay almost any price for that niggle to go away.
    2) the stitching and fit - the more you pay, the better it is likely to be.
    3) longevity - Assos bibs go on for ever ........ so price per wear is low.
  • robbo2011
    robbo2011 Posts: 1,017
    You are aware that Assos do free crash repairs too?
  • alex222
    alex222 Posts: 598
    Daniel B wrote:
    Just ordered the last Pactimo reflectives (Thanks for the code handful) as have also heard good things about them, so will be interested see how they turn out - hopefully as good as people say!
    Picked up a pair of Pactimo's Raptors last year during a 40% off TdF deal and have found them excellent.
    Recently also bought their previous top line bibshorts from their outlet site for £52. Same chamois as the Raptors and also very comfortable.
    So you shouldn't be disappointed.
  • handful
    handful Posts: 920
    Daniel B wrote:
    Just ordered the last Pactimo reflectives (Thanks for the code handful) as have also heard good things about them, so will be interested see how they turn out - hopefully as good as people say!

You're welcome, they are quick as well by the way, reckon you'll have them by Tuesday.
    Vaaru Titanium Sram Red eTap
    Moda Chord with drop bars and Rival shifters - winter/do it all bike
    Orbea Rise
  • Anonymous
    Thanks to this thread I'm now looking at buying a pair of normal cycling shorts (non bib)

NON BIB!!! Why???

What has been said in the thread that has changed your mind?
  • kajjal
    kajjal Posts: 3,380
    Carbonator wrote:
    Thanks to this thread I'm now looking at buying a pair of normal cycling shorts (non bib)

NON BIB!!! Why???

Non bib is a strange choice on a road bike.
  • daniel_b
    daniel_b Posts: 11,538
    edited May 2015
    Carbonator wrote:

NON BIB!!! Why???

My assumption might be because he has stated he is losing 2-3lbs each week, so if he shells out £100 or so on some bibs that fit, they will likely not fit within about 4 weeks.
    I wait to be proved wrong!
    I started with non bibs as well back in the day, then demoted them to training shorts, and I do have a couple of good quality shimano shorts I picked up for £10 each from CRC last year that are good pads, and perfectly acceptable for a sub hour turbo session.
    handful wrote:
    Daniel B wrote:

You're welcome, they are quick as well by the way, reckon you'll have them by Tuesday.

Still only 'processing' sadly - as this was the last one, wondering if their stock system might be out of date and they don't actually have any left, I wait to be proved wrong again - postage was only RM second class, so would just hope to have it by the end of the week.

EDIT: Just shipped! WFH tomorrow and Thursday though, so likely will not lay my hands on them until Friday.

So for those who have Orhi's (Which are currently my favourite short and pad combo, would you say the Raptor is suited to longer rides?
    I currently ride a 60 miler every weekend, but plan to stick a century in potentially one week in four.
    I'll try them on a shorter ride first though, and see how I go.

If I like them, I might wait and see if they do any of these big discounts during the tour and bag another.
    Like the look of some of their jerseys too.
    Felt F70 05 (Turbo)
    Marin Palisades Trail 91 and 06
    Scott CR1 SL 12
    Cannondale Synapse Adventure 15 & 16 Di2
    Scott Foil 18
  • meesterbond
    meesterbond Posts: 1,240
    Kajjal wrote:
    Carbonator wrote:

NON BIB!!! Why???

Non bib is a strange choice on a road bike.

In the cycling forum world of questions with no 'right' answers (Campag vs Shimano, road disc or not, handbuilt or factory etc etc) bibs vs normal shorts is about the only one where there is an unequivocally correct answer.
  • fat guy hat
    Carbonator wrote:

NON BIB!!! Why???

I've never used bib before, only normal shorts. Will give them a try now.
  • Carbonator wrote:

NON BIB!!! Why???

Welcome to BR

Ask for advise, then ignore it :lol:
    I'm sorry you don't believe in miracles
  • Anonymous
    Carbonator wrote:

NON BIB!!! Why???

Welcome to BR

Ask for advise, then ignore it :lol:

Aint that the truth lol
    The thread title clearly says Bib shorts :shock:
  • Anonymous
    Daniel B wrote:
    Carbonator wrote:

NON BIB!!! Why???

My assumption might be because he has stated he is losing 2-3lbs each week, so if he shells out £100 or so on some bibs that fit, they will likely not fit within about 4 weeks.
    I wait to be proved wrong!
    I started with non bibs as well back in the day, then demoted them to training shorts, and I do have a couple of good quality shimano shorts I picked up for £10 each from CRC last year that are good pads, and perfectly acceptable for a sub hour turbo session.

Personally, I would wait the 4 weeks.

He is not going to be any shorter no mater how much weight he losses, so wouldn't bibs that are too big be better than shorts that are too big anyway?

IME shorter and higher intensity exercise is better for loosing weight, so I would concentrate on saddle fit and weight loss before going on any rides long enough to need expensive bibs.
  • rafletcher
    rafletcher Posts: 1,235
    5'11" and flexing 16st 6lbs at the moment! This is dropping by 2 or 3 lbs a week a the moment though.

XL in Assos will do then as long as you keep losing weight. XLG if you think you'll stay around that weight.
  • rafletcher
    rafletcher Posts: 1,235
    robbo2011 wrote:
    You are aware that Assos do free crash repairs too?

And free (apart from postage to Yellow of course) wear and tear repairs - I broke some stitching on a pair of 7 yr old F1.13's, repaired no questions asked.
  • Anonymous
    la passione (lapassione.cc) make what are essentially rapha classic bibs (I think, could be PT) but cost £80. 10% off with FROMTOBY10 and free postage over 70 quid, so bang on. A friend (toby, incidentally) has a pair and raves about them. He's just bought his second pair and a load of tops. Seem highly recommended and worth a look.
  • bluemoon17
    bluemoon17 Posts: 718
    Anybody else tried La Passione? Some of the stuff looks good.