Athena 2015: Front Derailleur clicks to change...

timbob67
timbob67 Posts: 30
edited May 2015 in Workshop
My local shop have set my Athena 2015 FD up so that it moves from small to big chain rings with a single click, with another (very firm) press required to trim the mech so I can use the smallest 4 or 5 sprockets. It feels like I'm having to force the level to get that second "trim" click.

Reading my instructions, this is obviously wrong - it specifically says the FD must operate with 3 clicks, I think the shop have over-tensioned the cable massively, so that the 2nd click is just doable, but it's physically impossible to get the 3rd.

I'd like to know at which point the mech should lift the chain from small to big chainring.

The only document I can find relates to Chorus/Record/Super Record, and has a helpful diagram showing the 1st click trims the FD to use the upper gears in the small ring, the 2nd click trims the FD again to use the 11 sprocket (still in small ring) and the 3rd click lifts the chain (all sprockets accessible). I can't find an equivalent diagram for the Athena FD however, and don't want to just assume the same operation.

Comments

• cswitch
    cswitch Posts: 261
    Id take it back and get them to re-do it or learn how to do it yourself (my recommendation) assuming there is nothing wrong with the parts or crappy cable routing which can increase friction. Front mechs are usually pretty easy to set up and there should be some useful vids on youtube. I think Campag has there own tech vids too.
  • sungod
    sungod Posts: 16,577
    yes, learn to diy is best

is there a barrel adjuster? unless it's already screwed all the way in you may be able to resolve things simply by giving it a turn or two

another thing to try is operate the front mech several times, it can take a while for cable, outer and ferrules to fully seat, tension also reduces slightly as this occurs
    my bike - faster than god's and twice as shiny
  • timbob67
    timbob67 Posts: 30
    I'm a reasonably confident DIYer already - was just after clarification on what the correct operation should be so I make sure I set it up right.

I've re-set and adjusted the FD now, the first two clicks trim the mech for the small chainring, and the 3rd lifts the chain onto the big ring - which is how Chorus (and higher) should be set. Been for a ride and all seems fine...!