Sram Hydraulic Rim Brakes

grahamunwin5
grahamunwin5 Posts: 6
edited May 2015 in Workshop
Hi

Does anyone know if there is a way that you can put Sram hydraulic rim brakes on shimano RS685 levers? I know everyone from shops will say its not possible and they are not compatible but they both work by fluid being pushed down the tube..... are the shimano and sram hydraulic lines the same diameters?

Many thanks

Graham

Comments

• nicklouse
    nicklouse Posts: 50,675
    They both use incompatible fluids so no.
    "Do not follow where the path may lead, Go instead where there is no path, and Leave a Trail."
    Parktools :?:SheldonBrown
  • What is different about the fluids? Are they different weights? If so could you use something that might not be idea but would work, it can't be that critical......
  • robbo2011
    robbo2011 Posts: 1,017
    Why would you take a risk with your life trying to combine incompatible products?

Seriously, it's not worth it.
  • NeXXus
    NeXXus Posts: 854
    Why would you want or consider mixing DOT 5.1 brake fluid(SRAM) and Shimano mineral oil.

Two very different liquids
    And the people bowed and prayed, to the neon god they made.
  • "risking my life" is a bit extreme lol, I very much doubt I will kill myself by using incompatible brake fluids!
    I wasn't suggesting mixing them I was suggesting that maybe we don't HAVE to subscribe completely to the manufacturers specifications 'incase we kill ourselves' and that there is a fluid that would work with both...... as for the reason I would want to do that, I was interested in running hydraulic brakes on my current bike and considering it doesn't have disc mounts, I run a shimano groupset and sram are the only company (apart from magura which is another possibility) that make hydraulic road rim brakes then that would be a logical solution to the problem.
  • lpretro1
    lpretro1 Posts: 237
    Using the wrong fluid in a brake designed for the other will destroy the seals then your brake will not work
  • nicklouse
    nicklouse Posts: 50,675
    "risking my life" is a bit extreme lol, I very much doubt I will kill myself by using incompatible brake fluids!
    Having no brakes is a good way.

Look at some magura hydro rim brakes and levers.
    "Do not follow where the path may lead, Go instead where there is no path, and Leave a Trail."
    Parktools :?:SheldonBrown
  • robbo2011
    robbo2011 Posts: 1,017
    No it is not a bit extreme. If you use the wrong fluid that damages an internal seal leading to brake failure, then your life could be in danger. Why even take the risk? It's stupid.