Car Brake Cleaner

ZootHornRollo
ZootHornRollo Posts: 85
edited May 2015 in MTB general
Hi,

After i ride in muddy conditions i like to give my bike a good hose down before putting it away.

I am conscious of leaving water on the drivetrain so spend the time drying off the chain and derailers before i give them a good spray with Pagid car brake cleaner to get rid of some of the gunk before relubing. It seems to expel the water and remove the grime so seems like an easy option.... too easy maybe...

Is there any problem using this?

Comments

• Chunkers1980
    Chunkers1980 Posts: 8,035
    Yes.
  • cooldad
    cooldad Posts: 32,599
    Yes, big problem. You are not using it on a car.
    Car brakes are far more powerful and attain much higher temperatures. So sh1t gets burned off.
    I don't do smileys.

There is no secret ingredient - Kung Fu Panda

London Calling on Facebook

Parktools
  • Chunkers1980
    Chunkers1980 Posts: 8,035
    Not to mention you're not using it just on brakes!
  • Maro
    Maro Posts: 226
    Use it to clean your brake rotors, and maybe a little squirt on the odd component if it's been removed. Use degreaser on your chain, then lube.
    Bird Aeris. DMR Trailstar. Spesh Rockhopper pub bike.
  • cooldad
    cooldad Posts: 32,599
    No don't^^^^^^^^^^^^

It has additives that can contaminate bike brakes. Just use ordinary water, and if the rotors do get contaminated use IPA. If pads get contaminated replace them, after cleaning the rotors.
    I don't do smileys.

There is no secret ingredient - Kung Fu Panda

London Calling on Facebook

Parktools
  • batmo
    batmo Posts: 277
    cooldad wrote:
    No don't^^^^^^^^^^^^

It has additives that can contaminate bike brakes. Just use ordinary water, and if the rotors do get contaminated use IPA. If pads get contaminated replace them, after cleaning the rotors.
    It should be explained that "IPA" stands for isopropyl alcohol. I badly contaminated my brakes with Wadsworth 6X before someone made this clear.
    Viscount Grand Touring - in bits
    Trek ZX6500 - semi-retired
    HP Velotechnik Spirit
    Brompton M6
    Specialized Camber Comp
  • rockmonkeysc
    rockmonkeysc Posts: 14,774
    Batmo wrote:
    cooldad wrote:
    No don't^^^^^^^^^^^^

It should be explained that "IPA" stands for isopropyl alcohol. I badly contaminated my brakes with Wadsworth 6X before someone made this clear.

You idiot, 6x isn't an IPA.
  • nicklouse
    nicklouse Posts: 50,675
    Car brake cleaner contains oils to help reduce rust forming on cast Irin discs.

You don't have cast Iron discs so don't use it.

Looks like you might have just killed your pads.
    "Do not follow where the path may lead, Go instead where there is no path, and Leave a Trail."
    Parktools :?:SheldonBrown
  • The Rookie
    The Rookie Posts: 27,812
    Excepting he says he uses it on the drivetrain, as a daly degreaser and cleaner GT85 is fine, just keep well away from the brakes.
    Currently riding a Whyte T130C, X0 drivetrain, Magura Trail brakes converted to mixed wheel size (homebuilt wheels) with 140mm Fox 34 Rhythm and RP23 suspension. 12.2Kg.