B. B. King - R i P

mr_goo
mr_goo Posts: 3,770
edited May 2015 in The cake stop
Legendary musician is an over used term. Not in the case of B. B. King. He was one of the most influential guitarists in history. He inspired generations of rock and blues guitarists that we love and admire to this day.

RIP B. B. King.
Always be yourself, unless you can be Aaron Rodgers....Then always be Aaron Rodgers.

Comments

• BelgianBeerGeek
    BelgianBeerGeek Posts: 5,226
    Indeed Mr Goo. He has made an outstanding contribution to music. One of the hardest working men in show business and a true gent.
    Ecrasez l’infame
  • dabber
    dabber Posts: 1,926
    As the TV has been saying... he was the real deal... just loved his music. Time to remind myself and play some tracks today.
    “You may think that; I couldn’t possibly comment!”

Wilier Cento Uno SR/Wilier Mortirolo/Specialized Roubaix Comp/Kona Hei Hei/Calibre Bossnut
  • ballysmate
    ballysmate Posts: 15,921
    The Thrill has Gone :(
  • slowmart
    slowmart Posts: 4,480
    BB-King.jpg
    “Give a man a fish and feed him for a day. Teach a man to fish and feed him for a lifetime. Teach a man to cycle and he will realize fishing is stupid and boring”

Desmond Tutu
  • veronese68
    veronese68 Posts: 27,315
    What a great picture.
    Sorry to say that I never saw him live. Seen John Lee Hooker and also Bo Diddley, well worth going to see the old greats if you get the chance.
  • RideOnTime
    RideOnTime Posts: 4,712
    Sad news, sad news.

He won't be at the Scouts BBQ this year. :cry:
  • tangled_metal
    tangled_metal Posts: 4,021
    We have lost one of the great musicians and talents the world has seen. Well just my opinion.

I first got into the blues after getting into dylan and Stones as a kid at school (also The Clash so a varied route to the blues). I was watching a serious on the greats of modern music on the BBC. My interest was in the Stones and especially Bob Dylan. Each programme was 30 or 60 minutes long and I got my Dad to record it on VHS so I could watch it over and over again. At the same time I watched the other programmes in the series and learnt about other greats. One was BB King, another was Muddy Waters, Robert Johnson, Bo Diddly IIRC and Chuck Berry. That led me to a buying spree of blues. One of those was a box set of BB King's songs (about 60 IIRC). I played those CDs to death I think.

One track always got the hairs standing up on the back of my neck. I can't remember the name of it bu I think it was not one of his hits. It was about a guy waiting on the dock for his sweetheart to come on the boat but it never did. Think about it as similar to Sitting on the Dock of the Bay by ????? the soul track but in blues style. I swear blind it had more soul and emotion in it than any other blues track I have heard and any soul track. It was the tone and calm singing that he told the story but the changes to that at exactly the right time to force emotion into your very body. This might sound a bit melodramatic but imagine an impressionable 17 year old listening on a decent stereo (I am that old that not all music players were stereo). Listening to modern music then putting on a BB King CD he had just bought and hearing a song so laden with an emotional and sad story, with emotion just flying out of the speakers in a subtle and ... Look I can not find the words to explain this so I leave it to you lot to imagine what I can't describe.

RIP B. B. King. The word "Legend" is worthy of you and your legacy. Your influence is deep in music and there will be people listening to it for a long time.
  • RideOnTime
    We have lost one of the great musicians and talents the world has seen. Well just my opinion.

I first got into the blues after getting into dylan and Stones as a kid at school (also The Clash so a varied route to the blues). I was watching a serious on the greats of modern music on the BBC. My interest was in the Stones and especially Bob Dylan. Each programme was 30 or 60 minutes long and I got my Dad to record it on VHS so I could watch it over and over again. At the same time I watched the other programmes in the series and learnt about other greats. One was BB King, another was Muddy Waters, Robert Johnson, Bo Diddly IIRC and Chuck Berry. That led me to a buying spree of blues. One of those was a box set of BB King's songs (about 60 IIRC). I played those CDs to death I think.

One track always got the hairs standing up on the back of my neck. I can't remember the name of it bu I think it was not one of his hits. It was about a guy waiting on the dock for his sweetheart to come on the boat but it never did. Think about it as similar to Sitting on the Dock of the Bay by ????? the soul track but in blues style. I swear blind it had more soul and emotion in it than any other blues track I have heard and any soul track. It was the tone and calm singing that he told the story but the changes to that at exactly the right time to force emotion into your very body. This might sound a bit melodramatic but imagine an impressionable 17 year old listening on a decent stereo (I am that old that not all music players were stereo). Listening to modern music then putting on a BB King CD he had just bought and hearing a song so laden with an emotional and sad story, with emotion just flying out of the speakers in a subtle and ... Look I can not find the words to explain this so I leave it to you lot to imagine what I can't describe.

RIP B. B. King. The word "Legend" is worthy of you and your legacy. Your influence is deep in music and there will be people listening to it for a long time.

yes as you say he'll be missed at the BBQ this year.
  • Bobbinogs
    Bobbinogs Posts: 4,841
    I can't think of a single track he did. What one/s stick out for the folks?
  • dabber
    dabber Posts: 1,926
    Bobbinogs wrote:
    I can't think of a single track he did. What one/s stick out for the folks?

Try, for starters....

The thrill has gone. https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=SgXSomPE_FY
    “You may think that; I couldn’t possibly comment!”

Wilier Cento Uno SR/Wilier Mortirolo/Specialized Roubaix Comp/Kona Hei Hei/Calibre Bossnut
  • whoof
    whoof Posts: 756
    I went to see him live as I thought he might not be around for too much longer. That was in 1985! Glad I went it was excellent.
  • RideOnTime
    I suspect I'll see his face in the coleslaw.

Popeyes_coleslaw.JPG
  • mr_goo
    mr_goo Posts: 3,770
    RideOnTime wrote:

Popeyes_coleslaw.JPG

What! ?
    Always be yourself, unless you can be Aaron Rodgers....Then always be Aaron Rodgers.
  • RideOnTime
    Mr Goo wrote:
    RideOnTime wrote:

Popeyes_coleslaw.JPG

What! ?

At the BBQ. I expect I'll see his image in the coleslaw. Twill be moving...
  • pinno
    pinno Posts: 51,340
    Ain't no body's business what I do...
    Never make a move too soon.
    I wish I was a catfish
    His tunes ring around in my head at a whim ever since I played the Live at St Quentin album again and again and again...
    seanoconn - gruagach craic!
  • Moontrane
    Moontrane Posts: 233
    RideOnTime wrote:

Popeyes_coleslaw.JPG

Your own recipe? Care to share?
    Infinite diversity, infinte variations
  • Moontrane
    Moontrane Posts: 233
    On Steptoe and Son:

https://youtu.be/0TR4d5xmVt4
    Infinite diversity, infinte variations
  • RideOnTime
    Moontrane wrote:
    On Steptoe and Son:

https://youtu.be/0TR4d5xmVt4

At least the woman at the back has summat to eat on the way home.