Commuting & Leisure Bike

skr88
skr88 Posts: 15
edited May 2015 in Commuting general
I'm looking for a bike for commuting thats pretty lightweight and speedy but I'd also like to take it on cycle paths/ c2c routes etc on weekends. I really like the Fuji Absolute 1.1 Disc, however it seems to be more road orientated and comes with 25mm slicks by the looks of it. If I were to swap those for something a bit more chunkier (can take up to 35mm I believe) would this be suitable enough to take on some rougher routes or am I better off looking at a different bike?

http://www.fujibikes.com/bike/details/absolute-11-disc#bk_desc_tab

Comments

• The Rookie
    The Rookie Posts: 27,812
    If the Fuji will take the wider tyres, then yes it should cope fine, have a lok at the voodoo Marasa as well, my cousin uses one and has 32mm tyres on it for fastish road use and then swaps on MTB tyres for the weekend and it becomes a rigid 29er, very versatile.
    Currently riding a Whyte T130C, X0 drivetrain, Magura Trail brakes converted to mixed wheel size (homebuilt wheels) with 140mm Fox 34 Rhythm and RP23 suspension. 12.2Kg.
  • imatfaal
    imatfaal Posts: 2,716
    I would try it and others of a similar spec out on the road - I bought a similar level of hybrid a few years back and luckily I followed advice and tried out a few. All similar specs, all about same price - and one just stood out once I was on the bike; done about 20k on it in last few years and still love it. So get a road trial and don't part with readies till you have tried at least two or three.
  • skr88
    The Rookie wrote:
    If the Fuji will take the wider tyres, then yes it should cope fine, have a lok at the voodoo Marasa as well, my cousin uses one and has 32mm tyres on it for fastish road use and then swaps on MTB tyres for the weekend and it becomes a rigid 29er, very versatile.

Thanks. I've came across the Marasa whilst looking around, it looks like a decent bike for the money. Unfortunately I'm limited to Evans as I have vouchers otherwise I'd probably go for that.
    imatfaal wrote:
    I would try it and others of a similar spec out on the road - I bought a similar level of hybrid a few years back and luckily I followed advice and tried out a few. All similar specs, all about same price - and one just stood out once I was on the bike; done about 20k on it in last few years and still love it. So get a road trial and don't part with readies till you have tried at least two or three.

Thanks, gonna try some more bikes out this weekend. I'm now debating going for a cyclocross bike as I think they are more suited for what I want to do. Never ridden a drop bar bike though so will defo try it out first. The only thing is for the same money the CX bikes are entry level, where as the hybrids in my price range seem to be of a higher level.
  • imatfaal
    imatfaal Posts: 2,716
    skr88 wrote:
    The Rookie wrote:

Thanks. I've came across the Marasa whilst looking around, it looks like a decent bike for the money. Unfortunately I'm limited to Evans as I have vouchers otherwise I'd probably go for that.
    imatfaal wrote:

Thanks, gonna try some more bikes out this weekend. I'm now debating going for a cyclocross bike as I think they are more suited for what I want to do. Never ridden a drop bar bike though so will defo try it out first. The only thing is for the same money the CX bikes are entry level, where as the hybrids in my price range seem to be of a higher level.

One piece gear shifters / brake levers are really expensive - this is the main difference between drop bar and flat bar prices. Although with lots of people shifting to 11-speed there are some price drops for 10-speed STI shifters (dura ace at 139). Personally I would go for flat bar with best spec disc brakes - all the shifters/mechs are pretty good for commuting; but good hydraulic discs are just brilliant

Commuting on a CX bike is fun - but in the end I use my hybrid 90% of the time. In London you can go for days between chances to actually stretch your legs, get into the drops, and go for it
  • skr88
    One piece gear shifters / brake levers are really expensive - this is the main difference between drop bar and flat bar prices. Although with lots of people shifting to 11-speed there are some price drops for 10-speed STI shifters (dura ace at 139). Personally I would go for flat bar with best spec disc brakes - all the shifters/mechs are pretty good for commuting; but good hydraulic discs are just brilliant

Commuting on a CX bike is fun - but in the end I use my hybrid 90% of the time. In London you can go for days between chances to actually stretch your legs, get into the drops, and go for it

That makes sense now, I didn't really understand your answer until I tried out a couple of cx bikes today. Took me a minute to work out how to change gears. I actually really liked the drops once I found the right size bike for me. I think they'd work well for me as it's pretty hilly and very windy at times where I am. I have a (very cheap) flat bar hybrid so could always change things up a bit with that if I get bored of the drops. Now to choose a bike! Not much choice on Evans for my price point so that should help. Thanks for your advice.