New phone problems

Stevo_666
Stevo_666 Posts: 58,164
edited May 2015 in The cake stop
Please help a tech dunce :)

I've got a new Samsung Galaxy A3 and have just set it up so I can receive my emails from my webmail account. The emails come in no problem but I can't send anything - the outgoing emails are just sitting in the outbox. I've rejigged the sync settings to the most frequent, but nothing is happening.

No similar problems with texts.

An ideas folks?
"I spent most of my money on birds, booze and fast cars: the rest of it I just squandered." [George Best]

Comments

• rick_chasey
    rick_chasey Posts: 72,243
    Buy a new bike.
  • slowmart
    slowmart Posts: 4,474
    edited May 2015
    You also have to set up outgoing emails in the sameway as incoming mail.

If that fails ask your daughter!
    “Give a man a fish and feed him for a day. Teach a man to fish and feed him for a lifetime. Teach a man to cycle and he will realize fishing is stupid and boring”

Desmond Tutu
  • Have you tried switching it off and back on again?

HTH
    I'm sorry you don't believe in miracles
  • slowmart
    slowmart Posts: 4,474
    51SYe8ObVoL._SX258_BO1,204,203,200_.jpg

Just and idea you old silver surfer......
    “Give a man a fish and feed him for a day. Teach a man to fish and feed him for a lifetime. Teach a man to cycle and he will realize fishing is stupid and boring”

Desmond Tutu
  • veronese68
    veronese68 Posts: 27,252
    What Rick said, preferably one that can go up hills.
    Failing that you need to check the settings for the outgoing server. smtp.somethingorother.co...
  • Bobbinogs
    Bobbinogs Posts: 4,841
    Yepp, as per the above, you need to set an SMTP address to send emails and a POP3 address to receive emails. The services usually use similar naming conventions but differ in critical ways. If you are using an app, like Outlook, it takes care of all this. However, if you are simply adding an account then you will probably need to configure both elements correctly.

Check the webmail provider and see if they list the info somewhere. Then, check you phone/tablet for the account you have added to see if there is an option to define the send element (should be in the same kind of area that you set the receive bit).
  • Stevo_666
    Thanks for the tips. I found the page where you set up the outgoing mail on smtp. Unfortunately it said server not available and then on another try that the server does not allow authentication. I'm wondering if this is a problem with my current webmail service?
    "I spent most of my money on birds, booze and fast cars: the rest of it I just squandered." [George Best]
  • Stevo 666 wrote:
    Thanks for the tips. I found the page where you set up the outgoing mail on smtp. Unfortunately it said server not available and then on another try that the server does not allow authentication. I'm wondering if this is a problem with my current webmail service?

It will either be the outgoing port or something you have ticked that shouldn't be or vice versa. You might find checking what is ticked somewhere else where it is working the fastest way forwards. Once you have it keep a record of what works.

Also, I found with one of the galaxies that the order settings are changed made a difference - with one of them reverting to a previous value unless it was the last value changed.
  • Stevo_666
    Stevo 666 wrote:

It will either be the outgoing port or something you have ticked that shouldn't be or vice versa. You might find checking what is ticked somewhere else where it is working the fastest way forwards. Once you have it keep a record of what works.

Also, I found with one of the galaxies that the order settings are changed made a difference - with one of them reverting to a previous value unless it was the last value changed.
    T&W - spot on, thanks. For some reason the wrong port number and outgoing smtp address were pre-filled in. Found the right ones on my webmail providers website and bingo :)
  • Wunnunda
    Wunnunda Posts: 214
    It never ceases to amaze me how, after having YEARS to get it right, so many mail applications still insist on making this process so tricky. Completely unnecessary.
  • I have an old Nokia with Symbian operating system. To set up email you give it a few details and it interrogates the server and sets up the email automagically.

Someone explain to me how progress means making things harder.
  • tlw1
    tlw1 Posts: 21,831
    Get an iPhone?
  • drlodge
    drlodge Posts: 4,826
    What mobile network and email service provider are you on?

I am on three and have a plusnet email and previously had to use the plusnet incoming SMTP server but the three outgoing SMTP server. There is now another plusnet outgoing server that seems to work or they changed their settings.

Its probably a case of using another outgoing SMTP server.
    WyndyMilla Massive Attack | Rourke 953 | Condor Italia 531 Pro | Boardman CX Pro | DT Swiss RR440 Tubeless Wheels
    Find me on Strava
  • sungod
    sungod Posts: 16,433
    matthew h wrote:
    Get an iPhone?

it would have exactly the same issue, as does os x mail

pop, imap, smtp etc. are old protocols from days before the internet was invaded by criminal gangs, spammers, script kiddies and other sadfucks

so they've had various bags strapped to them to try and improve security, but there are many options and not all client/server implementations support them all, service providers must also choose parameters, some choose different ones

with so many clients/platforms and their developers 'enhancing the user experience' by hiding or attempting to automate set-up parameters, the user is left wondering if the latest software update/device model is faulty or if it's simply wrong set-up because the 'improvemed' version now requires different configuration to the old version, this is exacerbated by email service providers failing to keep their instructions up to date for the new releases

as a result it can sometimes be painful
    my bike - faster than god's and twice as shiny
  • mr_goo
    mr_goo Posts: 3,770
    These mail service interfaces still work to the best of my knowledge.

article-1146177-03890FFC000005DC-876_468x279.jpg
    Always be yourself, unless you can be Aaron Rodgers....Then always be Aaron Rodgers.