Security

Zani
Zani Posts: 14
edited May 2015 in MTB general
Hi guys,

So I have purchased my first full suspension (KTM Lycan 272), had it 3 weeks and love it. I would like to hear some ideas on how to keep it secure.
- It is currently living in the bedroom while I am making room for it in the shed.

Now the problem is, the shed is the old wooden type and assume it wouldn't take more then 30 seconds to break in to. Now I have a new york fahgettaboudit chain for it, but nothing to lock it to?

I was thinking about getting a 40kg kettle bell to tie it to (don’t think the average opportunist will be able to drag bike/lock/kettle bell out the shed... only thing is they are on wards of £60 pounds!

Any ideas what I could lock my bike to? Or how else to secure it?
- Wall mount out is of the question as it could just be ripped off.

Much appreciated

Comments

• The Rookie
    The Rookie Posts: 27,812
    Dig a hole under the shed and fill it with concrete with an inset ring, lock the bike to the ring with the chain.
    Currently riding a Whyte T130C, X0 drivetrain, Magura Trail brakes converted to mixed wheel size (homebuilt wheels) with 140mm Fox 34 Rhythm and RP23 suspension. 12.2Kg.
  • cooldad
    cooldad Posts: 32,599
    Leave it in the bedroom and sleep in the shed.
    I don't do smileys.

There is no secret ingredient - Kung Fu Panda

London Calling on Facebook

Parktools
  • Chunkers1980
    Chunkers1980 Posts: 8,035
    I lock mine to a Calor Gas bottle.
  • tangled_metal
    tangled_metal Posts: 4,021
    Large tub of concrete with a plastic tube running in a loop out of it. Then when set use your chain through the loop. If the concrete block is big enough and heavy enough they won't move it.

On the other hand check with your insurance what their minimum level of security is to enable a pay out if it does get nicked. If they insist on a Sold Secure Gold rated lock linking your bike to a Sold secure gold rated ground anchor properly fitted then anything other than that will invalidate your bike insurance.

I heard of a guy who lost a £3.5k bike to thieves who just broke through the roof of the garage. he had used a gold rated lock attached to a silver rated anchor and the insurers just did not pay up.

Bodge a secure method if you like but is it worth paying for an expensive bike then an expensive chain (that is gold rated) only to bodge an anchor when another £60 can get you a gold rated one which will meet almost all bike insurance requirements (although get them in writing so you are covered).
  • Either make sure its insured or keep it in the house. Sheds and garages are too easy to get into and the every lock is breakable its more how long it takes to break it than anything. Thieves go to extraordinary lengths to get high value items believe me.
  • Zani
    Thank you all for your insight, at least I have some solid ideas to work from... leaving it the bed room is still a possibility

cooldad wrote:
    Leave it in the bedroom and sleep in the shed.

Hahaha! Excellent!

Large tub of concrete with a plastic tube running in a loop out of it. Then when set use your chain through the loop. If the concrete block is big enough and heavy enough they won't move it.

On the other hand check with your insurance what their minimum level of security is to enable a pay out if it does get nicked. If they insist on a Sold Secure Gold rated lock linking your bike to a Sold secure gold rated ground anchor properly fitted then anything other than that will invalidate your bike insurance.

I heard of a guy who lost a £3.5k bike to thieves who just broke through the roof of the garage. he had used a gold rated lock attached to a silver rated anchor and the insurers just did not pay up.

Bodge a secure method if you like but is it worth paying for an expensive bike then an expensive chain (that is gold rated) only to bodge an anchor when another £60 can get you a gold rated one which will meet almost all bike insurance requirements (although get them in writing so you are covered).

Thank you... I did not know a gold secure chain to a non gold secure anchor would invalidate insurance!
  • Zani
    I lock mine to a Calor Gas bottle.

Had a look on ebay... can get them from 5 to 9 pounds each!
    - Idea would be to purchase 2. Lock both my bikes either side of them, Front wheels to one, frame and rear to other- I have 2 x gold secure chains.

Thanks will have a look
  • Mr_Cellophane
    Mr_Cellophane Posts: 690
    Zani wrote:
    Thank you... I did not know a gold secure chain to a non gold secure anchor would invalidate insurance!
    That depends on the insurance. Mine (through British Cycling) just requires them to be locked in a shed when they are at home. The reality is more secure, but for insurance my OTT security isn't needed.
  • schlepcycling
    schlepcycling Posts: 1,614
    'Hello to Jason Isaacs'