Nice places for visits from the fairy

secretsam
secretsam Posts: 5,098
edited May 2015 in Commuting chat
Got a visit from the little minx this morning, whilst coming through Trafalgar Square! Changed the tube leaning up against that model of Gromet done up as Nelson :twisted:

Then the damn minipump wouldn't do its thing :evil: , so had to walk to Cyclesurgery and borrow their track pump (thanks, guys)

Anyone beat that for a tourist-tastic location?

It's just a hill. Get over it.

Comments

• lostboysaint
    lostboysaint Posts: 4,250
    Mine was on a road/track about 10km north of Sao Bartholomeu, in amongst the lakes and rivers, in 40degC heat and was a split sidewall.

Fortunately my riding companion was a smoker so with the lid of his fag packet folded over covering the split and a new tube gassed up I was able to ride the 35km back home without an issue (and the rest of the holiday's riding!).
    Trail fun - Transition Bandit
    Road - Wilier Izoard Centaur/Cube Agree C62 Disc
    Allround - Cotic Solaris
  • bompington
    bompington Posts: 7,674
    I only cycle in nice places, so anywhere I've ever changed a puncture has been pleasant - at least scenery wise.
    But here (I'm not one of the guys in the street view!) was no fun in a blizzard with inches of snow on the road one dark January night.
    Here, on the other hand, was great, possibly due to the adrenaline of surviving a front tyre blow out at exactly 50mph (like a lot of street view pics, you don't really see the gradient) - without coming off or any damage beyond a bust tyre and a lightly dented rim.
  • pblakeney
    pblakeney Posts: 25,598
    On the balcony of my apartment in Port Pollensa in the sunshine.

I simply got a bottle of lager from the fridge to cool down whilst changing tubes.

I cannot imagine a much more pleasant visit.
    The above may be fact, or fiction, I may be serious, I may be jesting.
    I am not sure. You have no chance.
    Veronese68 wrote:
    PB is the most sensible person on here.
  • secretsam
    secretsam Posts: 5,098
    PBlakeney wrote:

I simply got a bottle of lager from the fridge to cool down whilst changing tubes.

how on earth did you flat in an apartment?

It's just a hill. Get over it.
  • bompington
    bompington Posts: 7,674
    Well, when we were in PP we stayed in a flat...
  • itboffin
    itboffin Posts: 20,052
    Outside the roebuck at one of the summer drinks, beer & a nice view

Meh
    Rule #5 // Harden The Feck Up.
    Rule #9 // If you are out riding in bad weather, it means you are a badass. Period.
    Rule #12 // The correct number of bikes to own is n+1.
    Rule #42 // A bike race shall never be preceded with a swim and/or followed by a run.
  • veronese68
    veronese68 Posts: 27,252
    itboffin wrote:
    Outside the roebuck at one of the summer drinks, beer & a nice view

Meh
    I once had the headlamp wiring in a car catch fire outside the Roebuck. Put the fire out and went for a few pints to calm my nerves. Well I couldn't drive it home could I.
  • tgotb
    tgotb Posts: 4,714
    I managed to get a puncture on the turbo; I haven't the faintest idea how!
    Pannier, 120rpm.
  • pblakeney
    SecretSam wrote:
    PBlakeney wrote:

Blow up the tyres to full pressure in a cool air conditioned room.
    Move bike onto balcony in full sunshine and alloy rims.
    Temperature increases, pressure increases, boom!

Also happened to someone in another group outside a cafe in Petra.

Lesson learned.
    Veronese68 wrote:
  • redvee
    redvee Posts: 11,922
    SecretSam wrote:
    Got a visit from the little minx this morning, whilst coming through Trafalgar Square! Changed the tube leaning up against that model of Gromet done up as Nelson :twisted:

This Grommit?? :)

10.%20Nelson.JPG?_subject_uid=28986481&w=AABiRiBoWPv4L4-4XePmBCCELMuWcLReyhRW7haiX5i7dg
    I've added a signature to prove it is still possible.
  • FoldingJoe
    FoldingJoe Posts: 1,327
    here

Punctured up the climb so thought I'd change it at the top and enjoy the view.
    Little boy to Obama: "My Dad says that you read all our emails"
    Obama to little boy: "He's not your real Dad"

Kona Honky Tonk for sale: http://www.bikeradar.com/forums/viewtopic.php?f=40090&t=13000807
  • The Rookie
    The Rookie Posts: 27,812
    PBlakeney wrote:
    SecretSam wrote:
    PBlakeney wrote:

Lesson learned.
    Doesn't actually stack up, say 20C inside to getting it to 60C outside that is less than a 15% increase in pressure even allowing for no stretch of the tyre!
    Currently riding a Whyte T130C, X0 drivetrain, Magura Trail brakes converted to mixed wheel size (homebuilt wheels) with 140mm Fox 34 Rhythm and RP23 suspension. 12.2Kg.
  • pblakeney
    The Rookie wrote:
    PBlakeney wrote:
    SecretSam wrote:
    PBlakeney wrote:

Lesson learned.
    Doesn't actually stack up, say 20C inside to getting it to 60C outside that is less than a 15% increase in pressure even allowing for no stretch of the tyre!
    Fine.
    You do the maths.
    Still happened. And it was 16C inside. I like it cool when sleeping.
    Veronese68 wrote:
  • The Rookie
    So another 2%, still doesn't stack up as the cause.
    Currently riding a Whyte T130C, X0 drivetrain, Magura Trail brakes converted to mixed wheel size (homebuilt wheels) with 140mm Fox 34 Rhythm and RP23 suspension. 12.2Kg.
  • tgotb
    PBlakeney wrote:
    The Rookie wrote:
    PBlakeney wrote:
    SecretSam wrote:
    PBlakeney wrote:

Lesson learned.
    Fine.
    You do the maths.
    Still happened. And it was 16C inside. I like it cool when sleeping.
    Maths stacks up; 40 degree increase will cause an increase of 15%, which you'd have thought was well within tolerance. However I did almost the same thing many years ago; inflated the tyre outside, subsequently brought the bike indoors and sat it behind the sofa, and got the fright of my life when it exploded while I was watching TV. That would have been a 20 degree increase, at most. I did the same thing this Winter, putting a CX tyre inflated to ~20psi in the car and then turning the heating on, *but* that already had a very big bulge in the sidewall.

You're both right :-)

As a complete aside, the maths says that sticking your bike in an aeroplane will result in ~5psi increase at altitude, so you really don't need to deflate your tyres before taking your bike on holiday. Even taking them into space (+14psi) would be pretty unlikely to blow them off the rims.

Edit: Is 60 degrees a realistic temperature for a black tyre left in hot sun? I don't know for sure, but it wouldn't surprise me if it got a lot hotter than that (thinking of anecdotal tales of people frying eggs on car bonnets).
    Pannier, 120rpm.
  • The Rookie
    I used 60 based on the internal temperature of a dark car parked in midday sunshine in Seville in July. Was testing for a car manufacturer at the time.

You need a very high solar load on matt black absorber to do that, so something like death valley, you won't get that intensity unless the sun is near enough directly overhead as a small change in angle has a significant effect on the amount of radiation absorbed in the atmosphere.
  • tgotb
    The Rookie wrote:
    I used 60 based on the internal temperature of a dark car parked in midday sunshine in Seville in July. Was testing for a car manufacturer at the time.

You need a very high solar load on matt black absorber to do that, so something like death valley, you won't get that intensity unless the sun is near enough directly overhead as a small change in angle has a significant effect on the amount of radiation absorbed in the atmosphere.
    In that case, given that it clearly happened, one of your other assumptions must be wrong :-)
    Pannier, 120rpm.
  • The Rookie
    Or the setup was defective and about to go pop anyway, as that does happen without any external influence at all (had it just like that about 4 weeks ago, no sun, no heat, just pumped it up and came back 20 minutes later and the tyre was blown off the rim.