Wheels, wheels wheels

DonDaddyD
DonDaddyD Posts: 12,689
edited September 2015 in Commuting chat
I was looking at buying wheels for around £250 - £300. (You can get Fulcrum Racing 3s for this price).

The bike shop man suggested a wheel build. I quite like the idea of some bespoke wheels. One problem, I don't know what components (hubs, rims, spokes) I should get.

So, through up your suggested wheel builds or recommend of the shelf ones and what you like about them. Thanks in advance.
Food Chain number = 4

A true scalp is not only overtaking someone but leaving them stopped at a set of lights. As you, who have clearly beaten the lights, pummels nothing but the open air ahead. ~ 'DondaddyD'. Player of the Unspoken Game

Comments

• craker
    craker Posts: 1,739
    For commuting? I wouldn't choose Fulcrum 3s. I have some, they're great to look at (not sure if I can definitively say they're better than the pX model Bs they replace). TBH I'd choose something much cheaper and / or rebuildable.
  • menthel
    menthel Posts: 2,484
    Archetypes, miche primato hubs and whatever spokes your wheel builder usually works with. Done!
    RIP commute...
    Sometimes seen bimbling around on a purple Fratello Disc or black and red Aprire Vincenza.
  • dhope
    dhope Posts: 6,699
    Mavic Ksyrium Elite WTS-S for £300?
    http://www.4thebike.de/laufraeder/rennr ... aufradsatz
    Rose Xeon CW Disc
    CAAD12 Disc
    Condor Tempo
  • veronese68
    veronese68 Posts: 27,249
    Do you ever head back Wimbledon way? If so Ugo is not far in Richmond. He can advise what he thinks will suit you. There is a long thread about handbuilt wheels in Road Buying Advice that may be worth a look. The question comes up a hell of a lot over there.
  • DonDaddyD
    dhope wrote:

Is this a legitimate website? How long does it take to deliver and if I have a problem and need to call them are they able to speak to me in English/deal with my email in English?
    Food Chain number = 4

A true scalp is not only overtaking someone but leaving them stopped at a set of lights. As you, who have clearly beaten the lights, pummels nothing but the open air ahead. ~ 'DondaddyD'. Player of the Unspoken Game
  • DonDaddyD
    Veronese68 wrote:
    Do you ever head back Wimbledon way? If so Ugo is not far in Richmond. He can advise what he thinks will suit you. There is a long thread about handbuilt wheels in Road Buying Advice that may be worth a look. The question comes up a hell of a lot over there.
    Thanks! Will go digging.
    Food Chain number = 4

• dhope
    dhope Posts: 6,699
    DonDaddyD wrote:
    dhope wrote:

Is this a legitimate website? How long does it take to deliver and if I have a problem and need to call them are they able to speak to me in English/deal with my email in English?
    Yeah. Some here have ordered from there and had no problems. They use DPD to deliver.
    And they're German, of course they speak English.
    Rose Xeon CW Disc
    CAAD12 Disc
    Condor Tempo
  • tgotb
    tgotb Posts: 4,714
    DonDaddyD wrote:
    Why don't you phone them up and ask them?
    Pannier, 120rpm.
  • DrLex
    DrLex Posts: 2,142
    How about these from the "bargains" thread?

(FWIW, I've been commuting with no issues on a set of Fulcrum racing 4s = 3 rim + 5 hub since 2011.)
  • itboffin
    itboffin Posts: 20,052
    Zondas job done
    Rule #5 // Harden The Feck Up.
    Rule #9 // If you are out riding in bad weather, it means you are a badass. Period.
    Rule #12 // The correct number of bikes to own is n+1.
    Rule #42 // A bike race shall never be preceded with a swim and/or followed by a run.
  • greg66_tri_v2.0
    greg66_tri_v2.0 Posts: 7,172
    itboffin wrote:
    Zondas job done

^ Yes. We can now apply threadlock. Move along. Nothing to see here.
    Swim. Bike. Run. Yeah. That's what I used to do.

Bike 1
    Bike 2-A
  • il_principe
    il_principe Posts: 9,155
    itboffin wrote:
    Zondas job done

• lostboysaint
    lostboysaint Posts: 4,250
    menthel wrote:
    Archetypes, miche primato hubs and whatever spokes your wheel builder usually works with. Done!

That. Although I'd be happy with A23 or Pacenti 23mm rims as an option.

That'll be because I have A23, Primatos and Sapim Race (32) and they are excellent.
    Trail fun - Transition Bandit
    Road - Wilier Izoard Centaur/Cube Agree C62 Disc
    Allround - Cotic Solaris
  • dyrlac
    dyrlac Posts: 751
    Don't you have to run a campy groupset with Zondas (aesthetically, that is, I know it is technically possible).
  • DonDaddyD
    edited May 2015
    itboffin wrote:
    Zondas job done

Can you put Zonda's on a bike running shimano gearing? It would set my OCD of fire "it says campag, but I'm shifting shimano". Isn't there a Fulcrum equivalent? Also the rear wheel spoke pattern, how does that hold up to rider around/over the 90kg mark?
    Food Chain number = 4

• itboffin
    itboffin Posts: 20,052
    Dyrlac wrote:
    Don't you have to run a campy groupset with Zondas (aesthetically, that is, I know it is technically possible).

Nope
    Rule #5 // Harden The Feck Up.
    Rule #9 // If you are out riding in bad weather, it means you are a badass. Period.
    Rule #12 // The correct number of bikes to own is n+1.
    Rule #42 // A bike race shall never be preceded with a swim and/or followed by a run.
  • rubertoe
    rubertoe Posts: 3,994
    @DDD you wish you was 19kg.

Is that meant to be 90kg or 190lbs?
    "If you always do what you've always done, you'll always get what you've always got."

PX Kaffenback 2 = Work Horse
    B-Twin Alur 700 = Sundays and Hills
  • menthel
    menthel Posts: 2,484
    DonDaddyD wrote:
    dhope wrote:

You can have mine with 100km on the clock for less than that. Came with a new bike and I don't really like them.
    RIP commute...
    Sometimes seen bimbling around on a purple Fratello Disc or black and red Aprire Vincenza.
  • Hmm - I've been thinking about new wheels for my Fratello for a while.

Nothing wrong with the current Ventos and I'm simply using man-maths to justify putting the Ventos to one side as winter wheels and getting some new wheels for the summer. The Kysrium's always get good reviews but a pair of Zondas (for a Veloce-shod bike) for barely more than £200 ... I think I've just pressed the equals button on my man-calculator and got the right answer. Presumably I just select the ED-Rotor option?
    Never be tempted to race against a Barclays Cycle Hire bike. If you do, there are only two outcomes. Of these, by far the better is that you now have the scalp of a Boris Bike.
  • exlaser
    exlaser Posts: 264
    Just put zondas on my second bike. Very pleased with the result, light and fast.
    They were on offer at ribble just after Christmas for £225.
    Van Nicholas Ventus
    Rose Xeon RS
  • GiantDance
    GiantDance Posts: 129
    Bought a set of Mavic Ksyrium Elite S Red recently, on offer from a German site name escapes me, but they were about £100 cheaper then here and amazingly delivered with 48 hours.

Am loving them at the moment..
    Moda Prima 2013
    Giant Defy Advanced 1 2014
    Rose Pro DX Cross-3000 'MB' - STOLEN
    Langster SF 2015
  • Anonymous
    Anonymous Posts: 79,667
    Likewise loving my Zondas. Bought off here for £150 with 600 miles on them which I've doubled in their first couple of months. Spin up fast and plenty stiff for hills and sprints. Don't hold speed on the flat as well as my 50mm carbons, but to be expected. I have them with 25mm Michelin Pro4 SC at 100/110psi f/r and have no complaints of harshness at 75kg (should probably go 10psi less)
  • daddy0
    daddy0 Posts: 686
    I've been on Zondas for a few months now. Previously I had Fulcrum 5s (2013). Think I prefer the 5s TBH. I might even put the old 5s back on when I race next week.
  • anonymousblackfg
    anonymousblackfg Posts: 2,029
    Am staggered this is now at two pages, someone said Zondas at post number 5, just get Zondas and then piss off on a ride.
    If I know you, and I like you, you can borrow my bike box for £30 a week. PM for details.
  • stuaff
    stuaff Posts: 1,736
    +another one for the Zondas. Or Racing 3s if you really don't want Campagnolo wheels. F3s are all but identical (only differences branding and rear spoke pattern). Brilliant wheels, and tough. Done something like 10,000 miles on my set with zero problems. Bugger to rebuild apparently (and expensive to do so), but I'll just wear them to death and buy another set.
    Dahon Speed Pro TT; Trek Portland
    Viner Magnifica '08 ; Condor Squadra
    LeJOG in aid of the Royal British Legion. Please sponsor me at http://www.bmycharity.com/stuaffleck2011
  • Anonymous
    Anonymous Posts: 79,667
    Actually not too bad. Replaced a zonda spoke without issue at London Cycle Workshop. Pricey tho
  • DonDaddyD
    thoughts on the following please:

4ZA Cirrus

Cycling Weekly would have me believe that they're perfect in every way: http://www.cyclingweekly.co.uk/reviews/ ... 96g-329-99

Cycling Plus, not so much: http://www.bikeradar.com/road/gear/cate ... -13-47044/

Has anyone owned, ridden them etc.

Thanks in advance.
    Food Chain number = 4

• rick_chasey
    rick_chasey Posts: 72,225
    Look fine to me.

Imagine the difference between them all is fairly marginal. Zondas, krysiriums or those, they'll all be fine.
  • Look fine to me.

Imagine the difference between them all is fairly marginal. Zondas, krysiriums or those, they'll all be fine.

I'd be concerned about the weight limit. 95 kg isn't much, really. I think I could go over that if I put some extra stuff in my backpack.
  • rick_chasey
    rick_chasey Posts: 72,225
    Look fine to me.

I'd be concerned about the weight limit. 95 kg isn't much, really. I think I could go over that if I put some extra stuff in my backpack.

Put the fork down ;).