Custom Bike website (PLEASE READ)

will3555
will3555 Posts: 4
edited May 2015 in The hub
Hey guys,

I am building a new custom bike website and its really important I have the information I need to make the perfect bike building website where you can build your dream bike! I am aware this has already been done, but lets face it....they are all really really expensive. So please fill out this quick survey, it will take your about 3 minuets max.

I look forward to hearing from you soon, thank you very much for your time.
Survey: https://www.surveymonkey.com/s/D2YKRFS

Comments

• njee20
    njee20 Posts: 9,613
    Sort your spelling and grammar out. It reads like you're 12, doesn't make it credible.

Where, not were
    They're, not there
    You, not your

Q1 of your survey - companies, not company's.

I'm not even sure what this proposed website is doing. Is it an online shop? Or does it pull parts from other online shops to get you the best deals? Or is it just to have a pretty looking bike on your screen.

I'm out I'm afraid.
  • will3555
    I'm sorry to hear that, if you look at the survey you will find out.
  • benpinnick
    benpinnick Posts: 4,148
    Yeah you lost me at Q1. No explanation as to what it was, a badly worded question and terrible grammar before I made it to the end of the first sentence.
    A Flock of Birds
    + some other bikes.
  • njee20
    I didn't though, I looked at your survey. It asks if you'd like to "make or design your own custom bike using parts from different company's".

So is that an on screen thing, to see how it looks? You then ask if I'd like to order it to have it delivered, so are you a shop? Or is this from multiple shops? How do I know the price is the best? Is this basically Ocado for bikes?
  • will3555
    Ok, I am very sorry about that but can you fill out the survey. It is a online custom bike building shop where you can buy the bike you build online.
  • cooldad
    cooldad Posts: 32,599
    Took me a lot less than 3 minuets. But I do prefer Blues, so I'm out.
    I don't do smileys.

There is no secret ingredient - Kung Fu Panda

London Calling on Facebook

Parktools
  • russyh
    russyh Posts: 1,375
    I have done the survey, but its very woolly. I like to ride more than just one style of bike. I can only click one?

Would I like a custom website? Not too sure if I'm honest. I like to build my own bikes and suspect I am not alone in this. Its at least 50% of what i really enjoy about mountain, road or whatever biking.
  • robertpb
    robertpb Posts: 1,866
    cooldad wrote:
    Took me a lot less than 3 minuets. But I do prefer Blues, so I'm out.

E sed wile plaing sum Choppin.
    Now where's that "Get Out of Crash Free Card"
  • njee20
    Russyh wrote:
    I have done the survey, but its very woolly. I like to ride more than just one style of bike. I can only click one?

Would I like a custom website? Not too sure if I'm honest. I like to build my own bikes and suspect I am not alone in this. Its at least 50% of what i really enjoy about mountain, road or whatever biking.

This.

I was trying to be helpful - but it's hard to answer a vague survey when I don't even know what the product actually is. Would I want to give £5,000 to you? Not a cat in hell's chance!
  • The Rookie
    The Rookie Posts: 27,812
    If this is a serious business idea, you need to get much better organised.

"What type of bikes do you like to ride?" and then a single option answer is an obvious one.

You don't 'make' a bike you build it, you don't mention if you will be making your own frames or sourcing branded ones, as the whole bike starts with the frame that is a very important question and the answer to it should have been obvious in the survey.

Cost/value are key parameters, most people who have a custom bike will source the parts and build it themselves, so you need to add some value to make it worth them buying from you which will presumably cost them more.
    Currently riding a Whyte T130C, X0 drivetrain, Magura Trail brakes converted to mixed wheel size (homebuilt wheels) with 140mm Fox 34 Rhythm and RP23 suspension. 12.2Kg.
  • njee20
    To continue the Rookie's point about custom building - which brands will you have? At the moment it reads like it could be boundless, but even if you become a dealer Trek (for example) won't let you mail order, so are you only doing a few niche brands? High end, or low? You're not gonna stock everything.

If this is a serious suggestion it doesn't seem to me that you're at the stage of actually being able to conduct a market research survey, you need to offer a bit more about your proposition. Then get someone else to read it. Unless it's a school project, in which case ignore the "give us more about the proposition" bit, and just get someone else to read it.