Off-the-peg Alloy Wheels

meanredspider
meanredspider Posts: 12,337
edited May 2015 in Commuting chat
I'm doing another Rapha (Prestige) ride that involves gravel - this time 200k in the Ardennes. They strongly advise against carbon wheels so I'm looking for some good value alloy wheels to fit to the Foil that are robust, none-too-heavy and won't break the bank. I've seen what's mentioned in the bargains thread. Any (other) thoughts? They won't get much use and will probably end up on #2 son's road bike.
ROAD < Scott Foil HMX Di2, Volagi Liscio Di2, Jamis Renegade Elite Di2, Cube Reaction Race > ROUGH

Comments

• ugo.santalucia
    ugo.santalucia Posts: 28,172
    What's happening to the commuting forum? Is it becoming the new road-buying advice-new wheels forum?

Anyway, a man of your stature (moral of course :wink: ) should know better than off the peg... but if off the peg has to be, then have you noticed now Wiggle sells Harry Rowland's builds as well as Archetypes built on Shimano hubs?
    Not very cheap, as handbuilts go, but deffo off-the-peg!

Otherwise get some Fulcrum 7 and cross your fingers
    left the forum March 2023
  • veronese68
    veronese68 Posts: 27,252
    What's happening to the commuting forum? Is it becoming the new road-buying advice-new wheels forum?
    I was just thinking that.
    There are some cheap Shimano wheels that often get mentioned, can't remember which ones though.
  • adambruntlett
    adambruntlett Posts: 257
    Veronese68 wrote:
    I was just thinking that.
    There are some cheap Shimano wheels that often get mentioned, can't remember which ones though.

Shimano WH-R501. Bombproof and you can usually get a pair for about £60 if you shop around.
  • rubertoe
    rubertoe Posts: 3,994
    "If you always do what you've always done, you'll always get what you've always got."

PX Kaffenback 2 = Work Horse
    B-Twin Alur 700 = Sundays and Hills
  • meanredspider

Anyway, a man of your stature (moral of course :wink: ) should know better than off the peg... but if off the peg has to be, then have you noticed now Wiggle sells Harry Rowland's builds as well as Archetypes built on Shimano hubs?
    Not very cheap, as handbuilts go, but deffo off-the-peg!

Otherwise get some Fulcrum 7 and cross your fingers

It's that I don't have any time to organise some proper ones - I just need them to turn up in Amsterdam in the next couple of weeks.

Thanks for the suggestions - I'll take a look.
    ROAD < Scott Foil HMX Di2, Volagi Liscio Di2, Jamis Renegade Elite Di2, Cube Reaction Race > ROUGH
  • First.Aspect
    First.Aspect Posts: 14,498
    Handbuilt wheels attract a sort of religious following. The worst issues I've ever had with wheels have both been hand built. Probably because people make mistakes, innit. The best wheels I've had are "factory" wheels from Mavic, Shimano and, latterly, Xentis. Built by faceless machines with no soul. Checked and put into the box by mere operatives.

I'm assuming you are after wheels with discs. I have a set of those shimano ones a couple of rungs up and yes, they are very good.
  • meanredspider
    I bought the Rose DT Swiss ones in the end. They're for the Foil and therefore regular rim brakes.