Spokes still twanging - does that mean I need a new bike?

seajays
seajays Posts: 331
edited May 2015 in Commuting chat
Spokes on the front wheel still playing a merry tune as I ride along, despite my half-hearted attempts to adjust. I think LBS visit is in order, however not sure when I'll be able to do that.

Clearly there must be a safety hazard here, which must be enough justification for SWMBO to allow me bike number two? What do you think? :lol:
Cannondale CAADX Tiagra 2017
Revolution Courier Race Disc '14
My Strava

Comments

• rubertoe
    rubertoe Posts: 3,994
    I think you have answered the question yourself.
    "If you always do what you've always done, you'll always get what you've always got."

PX Kaffenback 2 = Work Horse
    B-Twin Alur 700 = Sundays and Hills
  • veronese68
    veronese68 Posts: 27,249
    Most ridiculous question I've ever heard. Of course you need a new bike.
  • cookeeemonster
    cookeeemonster Posts: 1,991
    Don't be ridiculous.

You need two new bikes in case the new one explodes or something
  • seajays
    seajays Posts: 331
    edited May 2015
    Just thought I'd check... I can now officially say I've asked and everyone else thought this was the best option... :mrgreen:
    Cannondale CAADX Tiagra 2017
    Revolution Courier Race Disc '14
    My Strava
  • tgotb
    tgotb Posts: 4,714
    Don't be ridiculous.

You need two new bikes in case the new one explodes or something
    I don't understand this. You obviously need to have a spare bike, in case there's a mechanical problem with the one you were planning to ride. This is so universally obvious, that it's safe to assume the OP must already have at least one spare bike. It would be ludicrous to assume anything else.

So yes - he should obviously use this problem as leverage to buy another bike, but let's stop the patronising and frankly insulting implications that he currently owns just one bike...
    Pannier, 120rpm.
  • rubertoe
    rubertoe Posts: 3,994
    He clearly needs new wheels as well (or what is going to do with this bike).
    "If you always do what you've always done, you'll always get what you've always got."

PX Kaffenback 2 = Work Horse
    B-Twin Alur 700 = Sundays and Hills
  • The Rookie
    The Rookie Posts: 27,812
    The only safe option here is a new bike and new wheels to fix this one....and then fix the wheels anyway, nothing else makes any sense to me!
    Currently riding a Whyte T130C, X0 drivetrain, Magura Trail brakes converted to mixed wheel size (homebuilt wheels) with 140mm Fox 34 Rhythm and RP23 suspension. 12.2Kg.
  • It's clearly sensible to have a back up plan

New bike it is then
  • daddy0
    daddy0 Posts: 686
    New wheels, new bike and more new wheels, for spares in case the first new wheels stop working too. Then more new wheels for the new bike too. You could then add another set of new wheels, so you have a spare set should you end up using one of the other spare sets on one of your two bikes (this is now twice as likely to happen as you have 2 bikes). Better get another spare bike whilst you're at it, you wouldn't want to end up with a spare set of wheels and no working bike to put them on.