Road to Briancon/Lauteret blocked

davidof
davidof Posts: 3,036
edited May 2015 in Tour & expedition
The road to Briancon, Col du Lauteret, Galibier will be closed until at least June just after the turnoff to les 2 alpes coming from Grenoble. This is due to land movements around the Chambon tunnel which have caused part of the roof to collapse. This could impact the Marmotte if they are unable to stabilize the terrain by the start of summer.
BASI Nordic Ski Instructor
Instagramme

Comments

• cc78
    cc78 Posts: 599
    Doesn't sound good.

There's also the small matter of the Tour later in July!

I suppose if the worst came to the worst, they could reroute both Tour and Marmotte over the Croix de Fer (possibly via Mollard) and then back down Glandon to Bourg d'Oisans. Wouldn't be quite the same though.
  • ror3h
    ror3h Posts: 68
    Nooo! I've got a big trip to the Alps planned at the end of June and really wanted to get the Galibier in, which would mean coming down through there to get to my hotel in Les Deux Alpes. Balls! :(
    Cheers for the info though.
  • davidof
    ror3h wrote:
    Nooo! I've got a big trip to the Alps planned at the end of June and really wanted to get the Galibier in, which would mean coming down through there to get to my hotel in Les Deux Alpes. Balls! :(
    Cheers for the info though.

If it is not fixed by then you may be ok as there is a ferry boat service in place on the lake. Some people have also taken the path that runs above the tunnel (check on an IGN map)... although not ideal on a road bike.
    Instagramme
  • davidof
    Galibier should be open in the 2nd half of May. The chambon tunnel will not reopen before the 10th July, and maybe much later. TdF is looking at alternative routes now.
    Instagramme
  • cc78
    cc78 Posts: 599
    davidof wrote:
    Galibier should be open in the 2nd half of May. The chambon tunnel will not reopen before the 10th July, and maybe much later. TdF is looking at alternative routes now.

wow

so the Marmotte will have to change route as well

thanks again for the update