Training camp options for next April - NOT Mallorca

JackPozzi
JackPozzi Posts: 1,191
edited June 2015 in Tour & expedition
Just got back from a camp in Mallorca, and sadly after doing all my non UK rides out there for a few years I seem to be bored of the place and so didn't enjoy it this time round.

Looking for recommendations for next year now, would prefer an organised camp rather than organising something myself, reasonably cheap, not bothered about luxury and early April for a week or two suits me, any suggestions please?

Comments

• hdow
    hdow Posts: 184
    Having recently spent a really great week cycling in Mallorca I understand what you mean about the limitations of the place.

How about Andalucian Cycling Experience based in the hills north of Ronda. Have cycled just about every road around there over many years. Great variety of routes and distances. Never short of challenges or interest.

HarryD
  • Gran Canaria seems to get reasonable reviews. I may try it in November.
    I'm sorry you don't believe in miracles
  • banditvic
    banditvic Posts: 549
    Gran Canaria is Great if you like climbing not much flat.
    Fremotion for hiring bikes and they do a weekly package which you hire the bike and ride with them everyday, mostly Germans but as always they speak perfect English.
    Terrain is very much like the Alps take full length zip sleeveless jerseys if you have them.
  • bernithebiker
    bernithebiker Posts: 4,148
    Would I be right in saying you stayed in Pollensa, like 95% of other British riders?

If so, then not surprised you got bored - it's completely dead at that time of year, and it's not going to win any architectural prizes....all the rides tend to be either climbing up to Lluc, or flat ones around Sa Pobla.

You should try basing yourself in the South for a change, ideally in or near Palma; you have a whole new set of rides to do, and Palma is very lively and interesting all year round.
  • JackPozzi
    JackPozzi Posts: 1,191
    Has been split betwen Arenal and Pollensa, admittedly more in the north in the last couple of years. Quite like the look of the Andalucia recommendation though so may well give that a go next year, not sure about the canaries...
  • t4tomo
    t4tomo Posts: 2,643
    Would I be right in saying you stayed in Pollensa, like 95% of other British riders?

If so, then not surprised you got bored - it's completely dead at that time of year, and it's not going to win any architectural prizes....all the rides tend to be either climbing up to Lluc, or flat ones around Sa Pobla.

You should try basing yourself in the South for a change, ideally in or near Palma; you have a whole new set of rides to do, and Palma is very lively and interesting all year round.

Pollensa - Surrey Hills on sea! (but smoother tarmac)
    Bianchi Infinito CV
    Bianchi Via Nirone 7 Ultegra
    Brompton S Type
    Carrera Vengeance Ultimate Ltd
    Gary Fisher Aquila '98
    Front half of a Viking Saratoga Tandem
  • el_rey
    el_rey Posts: 83
    I am going to do a tour, not a training camp, with Spice Roads in Oct. I have always organized my own trips so this is a first. They do customized trips, see http://www.spiceroads.com/ I can give you a first person review when I return in Nov
  • thegreatdivide
    thegreatdivide Posts: 5,802
    Crete.
  • mrc1
    mrc1 Posts: 852
    Calpe and the Cote d'Azur both offer a huge range of climbing options and are well worth exploring.
    http://www.ledomestiquetours.co.uk

Le Domestique Tours - Bespoke cycling experiences with unrivalled supported riding, knowledge and expertise.

Ciocc Extro - FCN 1
  • Barbarossa
    Barbarossa Posts: 248
    Sardinia? Sicily?
  • We dont have a specific 'training camp' but how about Northern Cyprus
    http://www.biketripcyprus.com (Mods I'm declaring an interest in this outfit as I run it)

Or if you really need a full on training camp we work closely with a German outfit in southern Cyprus who offer these.

Cyprus is a wonderfull place to ride, both sides of the border.

Anyway, just a suggestion. Good luck.
  • nunowoolmez
    nunowoolmez Posts: 865
    Vamos! Cycling is the perfect solution I reckon. Just got back from 2 weeks riding package which included a 2 night stay in Ronda for the La Sufrida Sportive. Vamos! are based in Cadiar in the Alpajurraras & the climbs are plentiful, the traffic rare! Can't fault Vamos! in any way, this was my 2nd year, & I will be going again next year. Gary is always doing new routes to keep things fresh, & Sarah's cooking is so good. Stunning scenery as you might expect.
  • homers_double
    homers_double Posts: 7,977
    I can't argue with Ugos suggestion having visited Italy more than any country (with the possible exception of Wales but that's not a real country) in my life.

We're base in the lakes though so whilst you don't have huge climbs right on the doorstep the scenery is as dramatic and you have more options. A good climb from our base would be either right out of the doorstep if you carry on up the road or a couple of KM's down the lake and peel off up a valley you like the look of.

Anyway, who wants to go on holiday to suffer up a mountain anyway, I much prefered a good 80 miler around a huge lake with undulating roads and an endless supply of places to drop in for coffee or beer.

I guess one downside I can think of is the weather, it isn't as predictable as Spain and may well ruin your training week.
    Advocate of disc brakes.
  • daviegb
    daviegb Posts: 126
    Have you ever considered Lake Annecy? It's a 45 minute drive from Geneva & has plenty of great climbs that are open early in the year. It has a superb cycle path that connects all the way through to Albertville.

Annecy itself is a beautiful town, with a stunning old town. Climbs in the area include;
    Col Leschaux (3 ways up)
    Col de Semnoz (2 ways up)
    Col du Tamie (3 ways up)
    Col du Vorger
    Col d'Epine
    Col de Buffy
    Col de la Forclaz du Montmin

Try looking at this website - it has many more ideas & potential routes. You'll see many of the routes are open from March.

http://www.cycling-challenge.com/?s=annecy