PLANET X RT90

rickeverett
rickeverett Posts: 988
edited September 2015 in Your road bikes
Ordered last week, arrived this morning!

Just had its first ride and very, very happy indeed. Need a couple of adjustments but the groupset was bang on out of the box. Fast comfy, light bike. Bugger all flex (apart from a little in the rear wheels when standing up hard) Absorbs the road bumps really well. Thought I will post some pics...

APwPNR.jpg

JPT6mr.jpg

hULodC.jpg

Zilhm9.jpg

Spec.

Planet X RT-90 Comp Team Edition Road Bike. Medium size 54cm
SRAM Force 22
FSA Gossamer Pro Brakeset
FSA Team 30 Wheelset
Vittoria Diamante Pro III Folding Radiale

Selcof alu bars and stem. 42cm & 100mm
Selcof Carbon 27.2mm seatpost
Prologo Plain Touch Bar Tape
Prologo Kappa 2 Saddle
+
Old set of Look keo easy pedals

Actual total weight inc pedals: 7.65kg
without: 7.37kg

The wheelset is 1600g not including skewers so the bike could potentially be a feather!.

Comments

• diamonddog
    diamonddog Posts: 3,426
    Nice bike, one of my bikes is a Pro Carbon and with minimal changes it comes in at 7.25kg ready to ride so you should be able to get that below 7kg easily if you feel like it. :)
  • rickeverett
    diamonddog wrote:
    Nice bike, one of my bikes is a Pro Carbon and with minimal changes it comes in at 7.25kg ready to ride so you should be able to get that below 7kg easily if you feel like it. :)

That's pretty light for a PRI carbon. Planet x quote it over 8kg.

The RT90 frame is only 900g which is silly!

Bike rides a dream though.
  • diamonddog
    edited May 2015
    Mine was quoted at 7.7kg when I got it a few years back but came in a bit lighter with a Small frame, it weighed 7.75kg with Keo pedals fitted. Changed bars, stem, seat post and saddle etc to get it down to what it is now, lovely little bike TBH it gets just as much use as the Canyon.

Enjoy the RT90 it does look a lovely bike.
  • kbmack
    kbmack Posts: 73
    Hi

Bike looks great-I am a fan of PX so pretty partial therefore. I have an RT 57 and it is my best bike (better, in my opinion, than my Giant TCR Advanced).

I am considering this myself to go with my RT 57 and just slightly lower Pro Carbon. What confuses me just a tad is the simply devastating critique of the RT 90 in Cycling Plus recently. I have to say that the language used in the 'review' was unequivocal. Even more confusing was the three star rating attached to a review that doesn't suggest this-at all!

I am certain the bike, as you clearly state/imply, is not like this-which raises the issue of reviewing and attaching frankly daft star ratings to them.

PX have a business model that undercuts the competition: could this be a contributory factor to a review in a commercial magazine? I am not sure whether that's a rhetorical or real question!

Anyhow, love the look of the bike, I am certain it's a very good bike but, as always, everything is subjective........Give us your additional thoughts and many thanks

KB
  • rickeverett
    kbmack wrote:
    Hi

Bike looks great-I am a fan of PX so pretty partial therefore. I have an RT 57 and it is my best bike (better, in my opinion, than my Giant TCR Advanced).

I am considering this myself to go with my RT 57 and just slightly lower Pro Carbon. What confuses me just a tad is the simply devastating critique of the RT 90 in Cycling Plus recently. I have to say that the language used in the 'review' was unequivocal. Even more confusing was the three star rating attached to a review that doesn't suggest this-at all!

I am certain the bike, as you clearly state/imply, is not like this-which raises the issue of reviewing and attaching frankly daft star ratings to them.

PX have a business model that undercuts the competition: could this be a contributory factor to a review in a commercial magazine? I am not sure whether that's a rhetorical or real question!

Anyhow, love the look of the bike, I am certain it's a very good bike but, as always, everything is subjective........Give us your additional thoughts and many thanks

KB

I haven't seen /can't find the RT90 review however I have always found cycling mag reviews to be questionable at best. For example the Viner Mitus has EXACTLY the same frame set and as we know owned by Planet X.... It got 4.5 stars.

Got a ride in this morning whilst the sun was out and again a smile on my face. Last bike was a Mekk Pogguio which was (and still is) very highly rated and praised in cycle mag reviews etc. The Planet X is by far a better bike to ride. Its stiffer, more comfortable and dynamic on the road.

In comparison to other bikes I have had and ridden its very very good. I have no complaints about the bike and group set. The wheels do flex slightly under aggressive load as I run the pads close but everything else is bang on and at the moment can't find a fault. Will prib upgrade the wheels in time but there's no real rush with them and certainly no rush in regards to the rest if the spec.

Great little bike!
  • theraggyone
    theraggyone Posts: 147
    lovely bike 8) , im really liking the new planet x bikes. absolutley love my pro carbon but i would of got one of these instead if they had them at the beginning of the year
  • rickeverett
    Anyone reckon its worth "upgrading the FSA Gossamer pro brakes to SRAM Force as seen of the elite version?

and i it worth a wheel upgrade next season? - Racing 3 or RS80 ?
  • luv2ride
    luv2ride Posts: 2,367
    Anyone reckon its worth "upgrading the FSA Gossamer pro brakes to SRAM Force as seen of the elite version?

Not familiar with the FSA brakes, but have SRAM force brakes on my Scott and they're great stoppers....
    Titus Silk Road Ti rigid 29er - Scott Solace 10 disc - Kinesis Crosslight Pro6 disc - Scott CR1 SL - Pinnacle Arkose X 650b - Pinnacle Arkose singlespeed - Specialized Singlecross...& an Ernie Ball Musicman Stingray 4 string...
  • diamonddog
    ^^This, I have Apex and Force brakes on a couple of bikes and TBH there is no difference in the braking ability between the two IME, both are very good.
    AFAIK your wheels are a bit heavier than you think but I don't think you would notice much difference if you bought a new set. I have some cheap (1625gm) wheels and a set of Mavic (1400 gm) wheels that cost 5 times as much and the difference is minimal but it's always nice to get new bits. :)
  • SoSimple
    SoSimple Posts: 301

Upgraded the Team Vision 30's on my RT58 to Fulcrum Racing 3's and made a huge difference to my Strava segments and not that it matters ( :D ) they also look the business too!

• Yep and wrong bike, wrong wheels and probably the bike mag snob bias. The planet x wheels on that onbe are heavy on that bike and don't spin up well... I think they also heavily sway the review as to the hard ride. As we know (and the reviewer should)... Wheels and tyres contribute significantly to the feel oif a bike. The frame however is just the exact same frame and layup as the viner reviewed here... http://www.bikeradar.com/road/gear/category/bikes/road/product/review-viner-bikes-mitus-0-6-15-49308/ (owned and sold by planet x)

The RT90 and Viner Mitus are the same frame and fork according to planet x and the fellas in store.. Same layup and weight. The RT80 is the similar with different layup . with decent wheelset the rt90 is a fantastic bike.

A RT90 review here.. http://www.theguardian.com/environment/bike-blog/2015/may/22/test-ride-three-1000-road-bikes-web-only-canyon-rose-planet-x
  • What do you think of the saddle?
    Cube Attain SL Disc
    Giant CRS 2.0
  • What do you think of the saddle?

OK but nothinbg special. Put a SLR Floiw one on anyway which I find better. Should have changed spec in store.