Worlds / World Tour classic course?

13»

Comments

• rick_chasey
    rick_chasey Posts: 72,612
    johnboy183 wrote:
    johnboy183 wrote:
    Is the course being designed with what we we would like to see as a spectator? Or should it be designed for a winner that we'd like to see? Thinking patriotically here for a kennaugh win, or better yet, another Cav. And how about a tt course for Wiggo or Dowsett?

If I was a more invasive mod I'd ban all nationalist chat in pro-race. (luckily for you I'm not)

The forum was a better place in the mid '00s when there were no (or exceptionally few) Brits in the Tour at all. It was just a bit purer then.

So no, I'm just thinking of a course I'd get ridiculously excited about. So part vicinity, part being on roads I have ridden & think would make a fun course and part me seeing how ludicrous I can make a worlds course & finding the line of what is ludicrous and what course would make for good racing.

Not having been around in the 00's, I'm glad that we have enough top class Brits to perhaps ruffle your feathers :lol::mrgreen:

Nah, honestly, it was better then.
  • rick_chasey
    OK, I'll have a go. But can't decide. This...

https://www.strava.com/routes/2288037

Or this...

https://www.strava.com/routes/2288080

:D

Bahaha, how many KM of cobbles does that work out as?
  • FJS
    FJS Posts: 4,820
    OK, I'll have a go. But can't decide. This...

https://www.strava.com/routes/2288037

Or this...

https://www.strava.com/routes/2288080

:D
    Love it. Would love to see the Colobian team deal with that :lol:
  • greasedscotsman
    greasedscotsman Posts: 6,962

The first one is 6.5 km per lap and the second is 7.4km. So if you were trying to get a 250km course, the 1st course would be 12 laps, 255.6km with 78km of cobblestones. 2nd course would be 14 laps, 257.6km with 103.6km of cobblestones.
  • rick_chasey

The first one is 6.5 km per lap and the second is 7.4km. So if you were trying to get a 250km course, the 1st course would be 12 laps, 255.6km with 78km of cobblestones. 2nd course would be 14 laps, 257.6km with 103.6km of cobblestones.

Hahahaa. Excellent. :twisted:
  • ellerslierd
    ellerslierd Posts: 266
    Mad_Malx wrote:

I'd take them South here and up Brassknocker, just for the pleasure of seeing them do my daily grind, but too selective for laps on the WC.
    Tour of Britain circa 1990 did this bit with (I think) Robert Millar showing them how to do it. Then went down Bathwick Hill before Malcolm Elliot took the stage on Pulteny Street. Some grainy footage on YouTube.

I didn't know there was footage, I'll have to look it up. The 5 Hills Challenge around the uni would be a good'un (but crosses over itself). 750m climbing over 25km, that would get them by the end of 250 km, 50 climbs later :twisted:

You could have a proper classics course in the Avon Valley around Freshford. The day Prospect Place and/or Rosemary Lane make it into a pro race...
  • rick_chasey
    Best thread in a while this one. Good fun.
  • bobmcstuff
    bobmcstuff Posts: 11,196
    My 2 pence, don't laugh - was thinking about this when I was out last night, made one in Aberdeen - https://www.strava.com/routes/2292467

Start and finish on Union Street (slightly uphill sprint finish), climb out to the A90 (Midstocket is quite a sharp little climb) then down to the Don, then there's a couple of km's worth of nasty cobbles in past the uni and old Aberdeen, then a spin along the beach front for some guaranteed crosswind/headwind action.

Most of the streets with the exception of the cobbled bits are pretty wide. I rode the cobbles last night and it's pretty back breaking, there's even a nice little climb on them - would love to see the pros go through. This route also takes in some of the actual nice buildings in Aberdeen, such as they are.

Probably zero chance of getting the A90 closed off though - maybe once the new bypass is built it might work.

If you wanted to put a loop on to begin with you could send them out over Cairn o Mount :D
  • Dorset_Boy
    Dorset_Boy Posts: 6,918
    A route based on Shaftesbury. Can't use Gold Hill as the exit is only 5 feet wide max! A nice 11% finish.
    https://app.strava.com/routes/2295954
  • FJS
    Bristol and Bath seem good choices. Strange that Bristol hasn't featured more in the ToB, other pro events, etc, advertising itself as cycling city etc.

Would love the Worlds to come to Sheffield, it certainly has the terrain.

Here's my attempt. 19 km with two solid climbs: Ripponden Bank 1.2 km 9.4% average (20% bit), finish just after Birdcage Hill, 0.6 km 12% average with cobbles. A mix of LBL and Vlaanderen. Whole loop is on wide enough roads, finish on the big open space of Savile Park (plenty of space for VIP tents, etc), slightly uphill. 13 laps would be just over 4000m climbing in total. Or, a start in Sheffield over Holme Moss :wink: .

10xf1tt.jpg
  • rick_chasey
    Great effort FJS.
  • gsk82
    gsk82 Posts: 3,465
    The worlds isn't based entirely on a circuit is it?
    "Unfortunately these days a lot of people don’t understand the real quality of a bike" Ernesto Colnago
  • rick_chasey
    gsk82 wrote:

I thought it was.
  • hammerite
    hammerite Posts: 3,408
    gsk82 wrote:

I thought it was.

It often is but not always. The other year in Valkenburg I think ended up 100km riding elsewhere then 9 x 20k laps (or something like that). It meant they could have the end of the U23s on the finishing circuit before the men's race got to it.
  • FJS
    hammerite wrote:
    gsk82 wrote:

I thought it was.

It often is but not always. The other year in Valkenburg I think ended up 100km riding elsewhere then 9 x 20k laps (or something like that). It meant they could have the end of the U23s on the finishing circuit before the men's race got to it.
    The first to start away from the circuit was Geelong/Melbourne in 2010 for the worlds, and Beijing for the Olympics in 2008. I think since 2010 all worlds have had a 100 km or so route to the circuit, apart from Ponferrada.

I imagine that will be the case if it's organised/sponsored by a larger region in the UK, like Wales or Yorkshire
  • rick_chasey
    So given they'll be getting around to designing the worlds course for Yorkshire 2019, why don't we all have a stab at our preferred worlds course?

When I get round to it i'll give my Sheffield attempt another go, perhaps a little ludicrously difficult (perhaps not).