Go on, get your fat ass out and vote

rick_chasey
rick_chasey Posts: 72,538
edited May 2015 in Commuting chat
Don't give a sh!t for who, or even if you spoil your ballot.

Go on. Get on with it.

Comments

• First.Aspect
    First.Aspect Posts: 14,617
    Voted a week ago. I placed my ballot in the red ballot box set into the stone wall opposite my front door.
  • DrLex
    DrLex Posts: 2,142
    Do you mind? He's just big-boned!
    laughing-donkey.jpg
  • itboffin
    itboffin Posts: 20,052
    Voted a week ago. I placed my ballot in the red ballot box set into the stone wall opposite my front door.

Ditto although I had to add a box for my name, they seemed to have missed it off my form.

#winning
    Rule #5 // Harden The Feck Up.
    Rule #9 // If you are out riding in bad weather, it means you are a badass. Period.
    Rule #12 // The correct number of bikes to own is n+1.
    Rule #42 // A bike race shall never be preceded with a swim and/or followed by a run.
  • tailwindhome
    tailwindhome Posts: 18,925
    I'll vote the day the add a "None of the above" option to the ballot paper.
    Or, the parties intending to form a government decide to actually stand in my constituency
    “New York has the haircuts, London has the trousers, but Belfast has the reason!
  • anthdci
    anthdci Posts: 543
    I was there at 7.05 on my way to work. Second person to vote at that station. Common Labour!
  • iPete
    iPete Posts: 6,076
    edited May 2015
    2nd in 1st out, hopefully pick up a KOM for my efforts but I lost valuable seconds during eeny meeny miny moe.
  • gabriel959
    gabriel959 Posts: 4,227
    Voting this eve, only local elections for me but to be fair I would be spoiling my vote at the Generals if I could vote in them.
    x-x-x-x-x-x-x-x
    Commuting / Winter rides - Jamis Renegade Expert
    Pootling / Offroad - All-City Macho Man Disc
    Fast rides Cannondale SuperSix Ultegra
  • dhope
    dhope Posts: 6,699
    Instructions unclear, arrested for turning up at the local school/polling station with fat ass out.
    Will try again this evening.
    Rose Xeon CW Disc
    CAAD12 Disc
    Condor Tempo
  • surrey_commuter
    surrey_commuter Posts: 18,866
    No vote for me as I continue to wage my war of attrition for proportional representation
  • dhope
    No vote for me as I continue to wage my war of attrition for proportional representation
    Your input has been counted this time too, proportionally.
    Rose Xeon CW Disc
    CAAD12 Disc
    Condor Tempo
  • elbowloh
    elbowloh Posts: 7,078
    Left home at 6.25, so no time to vote this morning.

Will have to vote tonight. Still undecided tbh. Not sure whether to vote tactically or for who I actually would support.

Not much to choose from if i'm to be honest.
    Felt F1 2014
    Felt Z6 2012
    Red Arthur Caygill steel frame
    Tall....
    www.seewildlife.co.uk
  • surrey_commuter
    dhope wrote:

well if Dominic Raab's 18,593 gets slashed to a tie then I will hang my head in shame
  • rubertoe
    rubertoe Posts: 3,994
    Should Voting be compulsory, even if you go in and spoil or they have a box that says none of the above?
    "If you always do what you've always done, you'll always get what you've always got."

PX Kaffenback 2 = Work Horse
    B-Twin Alur 700 = Sundays and Hills
  • rick_chasey
    rick_chasey Posts: 72,538
    dhope wrote:
    Instructions unclear, arrested for turning up at the local school/polling station with fat ass out.
    Will try again this evening.

:D
  • dhope
    rubertoe wrote:
    Should Voting be compulsory
    No
    rubertoe wrote:
    have a box that says none of the above?
    Yes

Not sure what use the statistic would be, but quantifying how unimpressed people are would be interesting
    Though it might lead to people that would normally vote for someone actually voting for no-one
    Rose Xeon CW Disc
    CAAD12 Disc
    Condor Tempo
  • kurako
    kurako Posts: 1,098
    dhope wrote:
    rubertoe wrote:
    No
    rubertoe wrote:
    Yes

Not sure what use the statistic would be, but quantifying how unimpressed people are would be interesting
    Though it might lead to people that would normally vote for someone actually voting for no-one

The 'none of the above' option is to spoil your ballot paper. Anything apart from one cross in one box will do the trick.
  • dhope
    Kurako wrote:
    dhope wrote:
    rubertoe wrote:
    No
    rubertoe wrote:
    Yes

The 'none of the above' option is to spoil your ballot paper. Anything apart from one cross in one box will do the trick.
    Yes, but there is not a distinction between obviously spoiled papers vs people that have ballsed up the paper and not noticed (a tiny % I know)
    Which leads to not being able to state a "This % of the population actively turned up to abstain"
    Rose Xeon CW Disc
    CAAD12 Disc
    Condor Tempo
  • seajays
    seajays Posts: 331
    When you skip voting
    It's not rebellion
    It's surrender
    Cannondale CAADX Tiagra 2017
    Revolution Courier Race Disc '14
    My Strava
  • surrey_commuter
    When the referendum on PR was held in 2011 the turnout and Yes vote were equally underwhelming so whilst people may be disaffected by both the choice of candidates and the electoral system the biggest driver would appear to be apathy

On a turnout of 42.2 per cent, 68 per cent voted No and 32 per cent voted Yes. Ten of the 440 counting districts recorded 'Yes' votes above 50 per cent; six in London, and those in Oxford, Cambridge and Edinburgh Central and Glasgow Kelvin in Scotland.[2]
  • elbowloh
    elbowloh Posts: 7,078
    dhope wrote:

well if Dominic Raab's 18,593 gets slashed to a tie then I will hang my head in shame
    Mole Valley?
    Felt F1 2014
    Felt Z6 2012
    Red Arthur Caygill steel frame
    Tall....
    www.seewildlife.co.uk
  • seajays
    seajays Posts: 331
    Not voting simply means you're ignored, and you get to live with what the other people vote for. Whilst you may not agree with every policy of a particular party, there has to be some that you agree with more of, and there have to be some that you agree with less of. You should still vote therefore.

vote.jpg

Not voting will not change the system. Don't be lulled into thinking it will.
    Cannondale CAADX Tiagra 2017
    Revolution Courier Race Disc '14
    My Strava
  • surrey_commuter
    elbowloh wrote:
    dhope wrote:

Mole Valley?

Walton and Esher... but am moving to Epsom which has been held by a Conservative since its creation in the Redistribution of Seats Act 1885.

which is actually quite funny
  • surrey_commuter
    Seajays wrote:
    Not voting simply means you're ignored, and you get to live with what the other people vote for. Whilst you may not agree with every policy of a particular party, there has to be some that you agree with more of, and there have to be some that you agree with less of. You should still vote therefore.

vote.jpg

Not voting will not change the system. Don't be lulled into thinking it will.

But who I vote for is irrelevant.... if I had voted last time it would have raised Mr Raab's majority to 18,594 or lowered it to 18,592. And that is assuming I voted for the party that came 2nd. I fail to see what earthly difference that would have made. By a tiny fraction I deem not voting to be more likely to help bring about change.
  • The Rookie
    The Rookie Posts: 27,812
    anthdci wrote:
    I was there at 7.05 on my way to work. Second person to vote at that station. Common Labour!
    Not many of the 'common man' any more, though why you chose to mention it I'm not sure.

Or does it reflect badly on your ability to rationally and intelligently decide who to vote for?
    Currently riding a Whyte T130C, X0 drivetrain, Magura Trail brakes converted to mixed wheel size (homebuilt wheels) with 140mm Fox 34 Rhythm and RP23 suspension. 12.2Kg.
  • tailwindhome
    tailwindhome Posts: 18,925
    “New York has the haircuts, London has the trousers, but Belfast has the reason!
  • dyrlac
    dyrlac Posts: 751
    I was 10th in line at 0657 but was well scalped by some guy on a hybrid in baggy shorts (wearing an AFC Wimbledon top) who was 8th. Voted purely for mood affiliation though as Hammond's majority in Wimbers in 2010 was 11,408.
  • DonDaddyD
    DonDaddyD Posts: 12,689
    Will vote after work and after I go to the gym. So around 9pm tonight, maybe a tad later.

Voting Lib Dem.
    Food Chain number = 4

A true scalp is not only overtaking someone but leaving them stopped at a set of lights. As you, who have clearly beaten the lights, pummels nothing but the open air ahead. ~ 'DondaddyD'. Player of the Unspoken Game
  • timothyw
    timothyw Posts: 2,482
    But who I vote for is irrelevant.... if I had voted last time it would have raised Mr Raab's majority to 18,594 or lowered it to 18,592. And that is assuming I voted for the party that came 2nd. I fail to see what earthly difference that would have made. By a tiny fraction I deem not voting to be more likely to help bring about change.
    And as an added bonus, you get to sit around eating biscuits during that time you saved, so inevitably bringing forth the revolution. :roll:

Of course individually it makes almost no difference if you personally don't vote, but that's rather missing the big picture isn't it?

If you recognise the need for change, surely you could at the very least vote for a candidate that supports electoral reform/the kind of change that you are hoping for, whether they are a realistic prospect or not. You might just help them keep their deposit and do that bit better next time. But then again, this might require researching the candidates, which is once again less time to eat biscuits.
  • dhope
    By a tiny fraction I deem not voting to be more likely to help bring about change.

How?
    Non voters outnumbered any other party last time.
    What change did it bring about?

When every party that could conceivably get into power does so by being voted for, how is it in the interest of any of them to cater for non voters. Pick the group that advocates STV or PR or whichever you think is closest to achieving some measure of the change you want.

Bah. I'm avoiding social media today for this very reason. I think I have about as little faith in the electorate as I do those being elected :roll: :wink:

Edit: Yeah, what TimW said
    Rose Xeon CW Disc
    CAAD12 Disc
    Condor Tempo
  • surrey_commuter
    TimothyW wrote:
    And as an added bonus, you get to sit around eating biscuits during that time you saved, so inevitably bringing forth the revolution. :roll:

Of course individually it makes almost no difference if you personally don't vote, but that's rather missing the big picture isn't it?

If you recognise the need for change, surely you could at the very least vote for a candidate that supports electoral reform/the kind of change that you are hoping for, whether they are a realistic prospect or not. You might just help them keep their deposit and do that bit better next time. But then again, this might require researching the candidates, which is once again less time to eat biscuits.

Oh Dearest Timmy why do you need to make it personal? why would I be spending my time eating biscuits? why assume I know nothing about politics?
    How is not voting missing the big picture?
    How would knowing the LibDems support PR take any time whatsoever and they don't need my help to save their deposit