Unwell X-Fusion E1-R shock (BTwin Rockrider ER1)

robnicholson
robnicholson Posts: 9
edited May 2016 in MTB buying advice
Whilst not the lightest person in the world, when I started catching my peddles going around corners and the rear brake cable start sticking in my leg, I guessed something was wrong.

The rear shock isn't extending to it's full length when not under load and is bottoming out. The air pressure is okay/high. Here it is:

https://dl.dropboxusercontent.com/u/36684956/My%20shock.jpg

I found a picture of somebody selling the same thing on eBay:

https://dl.dropboxusercontent.com/u/36684956/eBay%20shock.jpg

Notice how that one has about twice as much travel as mine - 30mm on mine, at least twice that on the eBay picture. Explains why I was scraping along the ground.

So few questions:

Firstly, what's wrong with my shock? Has something leaked which I've heard reports of? Is it worth repairing if possible?

If not repairable, I'd like to double-check the size which I think is 215 x 65 as mentioned on the website the above picture came from:

http://www.kijiji.it/annunci/biciclette/catania-annunci-aci-castello/ammortizzatore-mtb-x-fusion-e1r-ad-aria-no-fox/72083886

Load that into Chrome and it'll translate into English:
Buy Shock X-FUSION E1R air measures 215mm x 65mm adjustable rebound (return) in 16 position preload adjustment via Schrader valve holes attacks pins are compatible with fox from 2009 onwards and with RockShox NOT 'LOCKABLE

Final question - always wondered what that little red dial was for - preload adjustment?

Thanks in advance, Rob.

Comments

• And please excuse me is I swear loudly - I bought this bike on 30th March 2013 and there's a two year warranty on shocks from Decathlon!!! Cheers, Rob.
  • nicklouse
    nicklouse Posts: 50,675
    So what is the sag set to?
    "Do not follow where the path may lead, Go instead where there is no path, and Leave a Trail."
    Parktools :?:SheldonBrown
  • Sorry - I didn't get the email notification when you replied. Not sure what the "sag" setting is but after taking the shock into Decathlon where the bike came from and getting a rather vague looks as to who can service/repair them in the UK and being recommended to go to TF Tuned - who don't service this shock - I've decided to buy a 2nd hand Fox shock and simply replace it.

Just battling with getting the existing bushes measured so I can buy those as well. Fun this ;-)

Cheers, Rob.
  • poah
    poah Posts: 3,369
    Sorry - I didn't get the email notification when you replied. Not sure what the "sag" setting is but after taking the shock into Decathlon where the bike came from and getting a rather vague looks as to who can service/repair them in the UK and being recommended to go to TF Tuned - who don't service this shock - I've decided to buy a 2nd hand Fox shock and simply replace it.

Just battling with getting the existing bushes measured so I can buy those as well. Fun this ;-)

Cheers, Rob.

try j tech suspension for x fusion service
  • Thanks will do. Cheers, Rob.
  • benpinnick
    benpinnick Posts: 4,148
    Its probably stuck down - meaning the seal between the positive and negative chambers is leaking, which causes them to balance, so the shock will run at 50% of its travel. Sometimes its just new seals needed, which would be part of a service, sometimes its due to a scratch on the shaft which means the seal wont hold air even if it had a new one. If its the latter it wont be worth fixing as the parts (if you can get hold of them) + labour would cost more than the shock is worth. As you say, its easier looking for a cheap replacement 2nd hand or on somewhere like CRC/Winstanleys.

Shock size is frame dependent, so theres no guarantee that your will be the same. Hardware looks like 8x22 and 8x28 at a guess, but it is just a guess!

The red dial sets your rebound speed.
    A Flock of Birds
    + some other bikes.
  • Thanks for the comments on here - in the end I went for a 2nd hand Fox shock which was just easier and cheaper.

Cheers, Rob.