Clipping in issues (Look keo cleats)

robthehungrymonkey
robthehungrymonkey Posts: 616
edited May 2015 in Road beginners
Hey there,

I've been using clipless pedals since I started riding (both SPD's and road SPD SL's). I've recently changed to Look Keo carbon pedals (was given them by a friend), and am really struggling to clip in!

It's quite embarrassing on occasion, there are traffic lights near my house on a steep hill, and I really struggle to clip in if I have to stop on the hill. I never had the problem with shimano pedals.

Is this normal? Is it because my cleats are too worn (i'm using old cleats that I somehow had in my box of bits)? I can't see how worn cleats make much difference to clipping in.

Is it because i've gone to lighter, better pedals and they spin a bit more when you push off up a hill?
http://www.KOWONO.com - Design-Led home furniture and accessories.

Comments

• drlodge
    drlodge Posts: 4,826
    Clipping in with Look pedals can be a bit tricky, I certainly don't find it easy at times but after getting used to it, I have kinda got the knack. The hard bit is rotating the pedal and positioning the cleat so you can then slide it in forwards. If it doesn't go it, I find it easiest to remove foot from pedal and start over again.

Clipping in on a hill is always tricky, best to move across the road while clipping in, then turn to go up.
    WyndyMilla Massive Attack | Rourke 953 | Condor Italia 531 Pro | Boardman CX Pro | DT Swiss RR440 Tubeless Wheels
    Find me on Strava
  • w00dster
    w00dster Posts: 880
    Yeah the same happens with mine, but you kind of get used to it and come up with a strategy. They seem very light on the crank and spin very easy.
    When moving off on a hill I tend to keep one foot clipped in or clip in whilst stationary and as the pedal rotates I don't clip in on the first rotation, but use the bottom of my shoe (away from the cleat) to rotate the pedals one more rotation, this normally gives me enough time to be in a position where I'm moving and able to check the pedal is in the correct position and then clip in.

Once you get used to it its fine. When I first got them I did have a fairly scary occassion at a roundabout when I couldn't clip in and slipped off the pedal, but I've had them for over a year now and no issues.
  • simon_masterson
    simon_masterson Posts: 2,740
    I don't have the Blades, but I do have Sprints and Classics. They do take some getting used to, and frankly they can be a bit annoying in traffic. Light though they may be, I'm not convinced that the bearings are all that great.
  • Thanks guys,

Seems i'm not the only one... I'll see if I can get used to it, seems odd that the shimano system seems so much easier.
    http://www.KOWONO.com - Design-Led home furniture and accessories.
  • ben@31
    ben@31 Posts: 2,327
    The only problem I've had with Look Keo pedals is when the cleats have been worn. It looked like the front of the cleat was so ground down and disformed, the cleat was no longer the correct shape to engage in the pedal. These things happen when you walk on them.

Replacement cleats are quite cheap about £12.
    "The Prince of Wales is now the King of France" - Calton Kirby