New bike help

Wildthing
Wildthing Posts: 3
edited May 2015 in Road beginners
Hi all I'm looking to get a new road bike and I was looking at these two the B'TWIN Alur 700 Road Bike and the Specialized Allez Sport 2015 Road Bike both £600
Ant ideas and thoughts would be a big help
Thanks

Comments

• ilm_zero7
    ilm_zero7 Posts: 2,213
    there was a Cycling Plus review of bikes in this range recently - I recall the BTwin came out better
    http://veloviewer.com/SigImage.php?a=3370a&r=3&c=5&u=M&g=p&f=abcdefghij&z=a.png
    Wiliers: Cento Uno/Superleggera R and Zero 7. Bianchi Infinito CV and Oltre XR2
  • Bobbinogs
    Bobbinogs Posts: 4,841
    The Spesh will be a good bike that will be dependable and hold its value well. However, you pay for that in the spec, which is pretty much all Sora (not that modern Sora is all that bad). The B'twin is a little more of a punt but the spec is much better (nearly all 105) and there are a lot of folks who rate them.

There are plenty of reviews around and I don't think either bike will disappoint so it may come down to a personal preference of colour or the one preferred after a test ride. I must admit though, test rides are a great concept but most offer limited real life experience as I would want to put a few hundred miles into a ride before making any decisions...although I can understand why a bike shop wouldn't want to lend me a bike for a week or two.

You may want to widen your scope as the market up to £1k is choc full and there are some good bargains to be had.
  • Wildthing
    Wildthing Posts: 3
    Thanks for your input I think I'll have another look at both bikes again I want something that is going to last a while :lol:
  • I've recently purchased the Allez sport 2015 and I love it. It's my first road bike so I have nothing to compare it to and can't speak for the B'twin but I'm very happy with my Allez.
    "Great minds think a bike"
  • daniel_b
    daniel_b Posts: 11,608
    The Alur for me everytime out of those two, cracking spec (105 is realistically all the groupset you will ever need, although realise it is not full) for the money and lovely looking bike to my eye.

Only downside could be that you can't fit full mudguards to it, though that may not be a consideration for you.

We bought my brothers gf a Triban 300 Red last year, and these were actually such good and well rated bikes, they were selling for a premium on ebay second hand!
    Not saying it will happen with this, but just goes to show that B-Twin bikes are pretty highly regarded.
    Felt F70 05 (Turbo)
    Marin Palisades Trail 91 and 06
    Scott CR1 SL 12
    Cannondale Synapse Adventure 15 & 16 Di2
    Scott Foil 18