My worst day

2»

Comments

• ai_1
    ai_1 Posts: 3,060
    itboffin wrote:
    invest in a dual co2 handpump, best of both worlds.
    I considered it when i got my current pump but an inflator is so small it didn't seem worth restricting my choice of pump. I think you can get a replacement hose for the Lezyne road drive that works as a CO2 inflator too making it a dual solution pump but it's just more cost I don't think adds much.
  • Having learnt the hard way I always carry -

Small pump that is attached to my bike.
    Spare inner tube.
    Park Tools stick on patches which work surprisingly well in case I get a second puncture.
    A little adapter for my presta valve so I can pump up my tyres with a garage forecourt tyre pump.

Seems to do the job, touch wood.
  • itboffin
    itboffin Posts: 20,052
    I bought a combi dual pump and co2 then came to use it and couldn't get the co2 end off when I got home it seems I have a dud with no valve hole, I emailed the manufacturer nothing!
    Rule #5 // Harden The Feck Up.
    Rule #9 // If you are out riding in bad weather, it means you are a badass. Period.
    Rule #12 // The correct number of bikes to own is n+1.
    Rule #42 // A bike race shall never be preceded with a swim and/or followed by a run.
  • itboffin wrote:
    I bought a combi dual pump and co2 then came to use it and couldn't get the co2 end off when I got home it seems I have a dud with no valve hole, I emailed the manufacturer nothing!

Never trust 'dual' anything - like washer-dryers innit.
    Must say I just don't see the point of CO2 except maybe if you are taking part in some sort of event or race - a decent mini-pump will get tires plenty hard enough for any riding purposes that I can think of ....
  • ai_1
    itboffin wrote:

Must say I just don't see the point of CO2 except maybe if you are taking part in some sort of event or race - a decent mini-pump will get tires plenty hard enough for any riding purposes that I can think of ....
    Many mini-pumps aren't capable of getting road tyres to a normal pressure (say 100psi) without a lot of effort or maybe not at all. Although they should all be capable of delivering enough pressure to continue. I've never used my CO2 but it's there if I want it. If I was stuck at the side of a busy road in cold and wet weather I'd probably use it just to get moving again quicker but that thankfully has never happened to me yet. I'd certainly use it if I needed to inflate during a race.
  • Ai_1 wrote:
    itboffin wrote:

Many mini-pumps aren't capable of getting road tyres to a normal pressure (say 100psi) without a lot of effort or maybe not at all. Although they should all be capable of delivering enough pressure to continue. I've never used my CO2 but it's there if I want it. If I was stuck at the side of a busy road in cold and wet weather I'd probably use it just to get moving again quicker but that thankfully has never happened to me yet. I'd certainly use it if I needed to inflate during a race.

OK but do you *really* need 100psi to complete a ride. Won't 80 do?
    I'll sacrifice the extra 20 not to carry another bit of stuff around.
  • ai_1
    Ai_1 wrote:
    itboffin wrote:

OK but do you *really* need 100psi to complete a ride. Won't 80 do?
    I'll sacrifice the extra 20 not to carry another bit of stuff around.
    Agreed. That's what I said isn't it?