Seat post bolt rounded out

menthel
menthel Posts: 2,484
edited May 2015 in The workshop
So, I have managed to round out the hex bolt on the seat post clamp. Tried a torx driver slightly larger etc but no luck. Am I going to have to have the seat post clamp cut off or is there another way?
RIP commute...
Sometimes seen bimbling around on a purple Fratello Disc or black and red Aprire Vincenza.

Comments

• marcusjb
    marcusjb Posts: 2,412
    Sacrificial flat-head screwdriver of ever so slightly wider size than the rounded out hole - hammer it in and use grips to turn it.

Liquid metal glue and an allen key of the correct size is another option.

If you're prone to rounding out seatpost bolts, may I suggest a torque wrench, or a Surly Constricter! (I have Constricters on the tandem due to a bolt snapping incident......(the seatbolt on the front post has to be pretty tight cause it has the rear handlebars attached, but I over-judged it rather!).
  • menthel
    Thanks Marcus, I have managed to source a dremel so I will try to cut a slot in the bolt head first and remove with a screwdriver.

I now have a torque wrench but I think the rounding process started with prior to its ownership when I fiddled with the seat height a lot. I also think the bolt may be made of cheese...
    RIP commute...
    Sometimes seen bimbling around on a purple Fratello Disc or black and red Aprire Vincenza.
  • ugo.santalucia
    ugo.santalucia Posts: 28,237
    The thing with seat collars is that unless you buy a good one, they are all shite... next time, get a Thomson
    left the forum March 2023
  • menthel
    Sorted. Slot cut in bolt head and brute force used to unscrew. The gym membership was finally useful.

Somehow the bolt had got bent in the clamp, hence being completely knackered.
    RIP commute...