Big Brother EU gets its way again with car tracking deal

CYCLESPORT1
CYCLESPORT1 Posts: 471
edited May 2015 in Commuting chat

Comments

• ugo.santalucia
    ugo.santalucia Posts: 28,172
    What's wrong with that device? Could even turn up to be useful in court, for hit and run cases...
    left the forum March 2023
  • tgotb
    tgotb Posts: 4,714
    What's wrong with that device? Could even turn up to be useful in court, for hit and run cases...
    Armies of bad people are waiting for this to happen, so that they can hack into the devices and use them to track your car's every movement. Every one of us will be stalked, in real time, by someone who will know that you're driving along the M4, visiting South Mimms Services, stuck on the North Circular. Just think about it: Someone you don't even know, will be able to see that your car is stuck in a traffic jam on the North Circular :shock:

This is the thin end of the wedge; next thing they'll force each of us to display a unique code on our car, which will be recorded in a big database on a computer...
    Pannier, 120rpm.
  • dhope
    dhope Posts: 6,699
    I suspect it's the usual "EU have made us do something" complaint rather than worrying about the specifics of what's being discussed.

Neglecting to notice that, as part of the EU, the UK would have had a say in any such deal. Usual kippers appearing to think that the decision are being made for us, rather than the UK being a part of the process.
    Rose Xeon CW Disc
    CAAD12 Disc
    Condor Tempo
  • rick_chasey
    rick_chasey Posts: 72,244
    Isn't this the same party that wants numberplates for bicycles?
  • dhope
    dhope Posts: 6,699
    Surely cyclists are leading the way on this anyway since Strava starting live tracking ;)
    Rose Xeon CW Disc
    CAAD12 Disc
    Condor Tempo
  • menthel
    menthel Posts: 2,484

They are crammed full of immigrants. The worst kind too.

UKIP and their supporters deffo get rolly eyes. :roll:
    RIP commute...
    Sometimes seen bimbling around on a purple Fratello Disc or black and red Aprire Vincenza.
  • neal1984
    neal1984 Posts: 240
    I have this system fitted to my car already and thankfully I've not had to use it. A friend of a friend did have an accident in his car and within 60 seconds his phone rang asking him if he required the assistance of the emergency services. I would imagine if he was alone and knocked unconscious this system could have potentially saved his life. Pro's and con's to it I'm sure but if it can save your life I'll take it.

Life is like riding a bicycle: you don't fall off unless you stop pedaling.

Scott Foil Team Issue HMX Di2
    Boardman Team Carbon LTD
  • veronese68
    veronese68 Posts: 27,252
    No.
    Do UKIP still want to legalise handguns?
  • tgotb
    tgotb Posts: 4,714
    Neal1984 wrote:
    I have this system fitted to my car already and thankfully I've not had to use it. A friend of a friend did have an accident in his car and within 60 seconds his phone rang asking him if he required the assistance of the emergency services. I would imagine if he was alone and knocked unconscious this system could have potentially saved his life. Pro's and con's to it I'm sure but if it can save your life I'll take it.
    Come to think of it, I knew someone who passed out (due to undiagnosed illness), drove his car off the road, and was subsequently spotted by a random passer-by. Every now and then you read about people who do the same thing but disappear down an embankment into the bushes, and are found months later.
    Pannier, 120rpm.
  • ugo.santalucia
    As pointed out, people seem to be quite keen to share all sorts of information on social media... I am pretty sure the technology can be made reasonably safe... if then someone wants to know where Alan Sugar is at any given time, I can't care less... surely nobody will take an interest in folks like me... who are neither Tories or UKIPs with bags of valuables.

The simple fact of not seeing any post from Veronese68 for a couple of hours prompted me to break into his house... 8)
  • asprilla
    asprilla Posts: 8,440
    So, it will add £100 pounds to the cost of a brand new car in 2018?

Wow. All the folks that could only just afford a brand new car will now have to change their plans. Such a shame.

My 11 yo BMW (now sold) had an SOS button that would call the emergency services and a lot of other cars have similar systems anyway. The cost to the mobile networks will be negligible as they will still only site masts where it's viable and they can cope with the bandwidth requirements (in a similar way to the Amazon whispernet).
    Mud - Genesis Vapour CCX
    Race - Fuji Norcom Straight
    Sun - Cervelo R3
    Winter / Commute - Dolan ADX
  • The Rookie
    The Rookie Posts: 27,812
    Veronese68 wrote:
    No.
    Do UKIP still want to legalise handguns?
    Steady, if they did it would be one of their more sensible ideas (that is returning to the pre-Dunblane level of legalisation).
    Currently riding a Whyte T130C, X0 drivetrain, Magura Trail brakes converted to mixed wheel size (homebuilt wheels) with 140mm Fox 34 Rhythm and RP23 suspension. 12.2Kg.
  • davmaggs
    davmaggs Posts: 1,008
    As pointed out, people seem to be quite keen to share all sorts of information on social media... I am pretty sure the technology can be made reasonably safe... if then someone wants to know where Alan Sugar is at any given time, I can't care less... surely nobody will take an interest in folks like me... who are neither Tories or UKIPs with bags of valuables.

The simple fact of not seeing any post from Veronese68 for a couple of hours prompted me to break into his house... 8)

You mean some people are happy to share information on social media?

I can't see your link to the notion that because some people voluntarily post on Facebook that there is therefore a case for saying that 100% of vehicles should have a device that adds to the cost, forces external costs onto other services, creates a maintenance cost which will turn some people into criminals, increases carbon emissions (admittedly probably by small amounts), and for almost zero benefit.

The system has no business case. Where it gets useful is for road pricing.
  • ugo.santalucia
    Imposing the DPF, which was and still is a device that doesn't work in most cases and causes frequent and expensive problems, was a much worse piece of legislation (Euro 4), yet nobody complained at the time, as it was supposed to make cities' air cleaner, but it didn't.

I see it as a useful resource, that the police can dip into for investigations... if you prefer to see it the Big brother way, that's just a different perspective, I suppose
  • veronese68
    Sshh, I was working. But don't tell anyone they might expect me to do it more often.

I don't see this kind of monitoring system as being an issue, but I have nothing to hide.

• UKIPs cycling manifesto is disgraceful.
    I'm sorry you don't believe in miracles
  • cookeeemonster
    cookeeemonster Posts: 1,991

UKIPs manifesto is disgraceful.

FTFY ;)
  • asprilla
    asprilla Posts: 8,440
    They have a manifesto?

I thought they just barked arbitrarily at things they didn't do or understand.
    Mud - Genesis Vapour CCX
    Race - Fuji Norcom Straight
    Sun - Cervelo R3
    Winter / Commute - Dolan ADX
  • veronese68
    Asprilla wrote:
    They have a manifesto?

I thought they just barked arbitrarily at things they didn't do or understand.
    It's published in instalments, also known as the Daily Mail.
  • tangled_metal
    tangled_metal Posts: 4,021
    Love the image of UKIPers barking at a tree with a cat up it. Thanks Asprilla.

(For cat read immigrant).
  • neal1984
    I can't see your link to the notion that because some people voluntarily post on Facebook that there is therefore a case for saying that 100% of vehicles should have a device that adds to the cost, forces external costs onto other services, creates a maintenance cost which will turn some people into criminals, increases carbon emissions (admittedly probably by small amounts), and for almost zero benefit.

No use apart from potentially saving lives? The police can already track criminals whereabouts via mobile phones and nobody can hack that. If you've nothing to hide I don't see the problem. For info in my car at least I am able to disable the system but I choose not to. Its reassuring to know help would be sent that could save my life.

The EU also stipulated that all new cars have the annoying beepers that go off when you don't put a seat belt on. Really annoying but I can guarantee more people buckle up now.

Boardman Team Carbon LTD
  • chris_bass
    chris_bass Posts: 4,913
    http://www.telegraph.co.uk/men/active/r ... party.html

Anyone who votes for Ukip really should have 24 hour care.
    www.conjunctivitis.com - a site for sore eyes
  • greg66_tri_v2.0
    greg66_tri_v2.0 Posts: 7,172

Dear Shithead

Fuck off

Yours,

The sane majority.
    Swim. Bike. Run. Yeah. That's what I used to do.

Bike 1
    Bike 2-A
  • davmaggs
    davmaggs Posts: 1,008
    Neal1984 wrote:

No use apart from potentially saving lives? The police can already track criminals whereabouts via mobile phones and nobody can hack that. If you've nothing to hide I don't see the problem. For info in my car at least I am able to disable the system but I choose not to. Its reassuring to know help would be sent that could save my life.

The EU also stipulated that all new cars have the annoying beepers that go off when you don't put a seat belt on. Really annoying but I can guarantee more people buckle up now.

I think you missed "think of the children" off the cliché list.

If you truely believe you car could vanish in Britain then carry a phone. Don't inflict a solution seeking a problem on every consumer.

The business case simply isn't there. The yank manufacturers have such system, but there's been little to no commercial interest here.
  • neal1984
    davmaggs wrote:
    Neal1984 wrote:

I think you missed "think of the children" off the cliché list.

If you truely believe you car could vanish in Britain then carry a phone. Don't inflict a solution seeking a problem on every consumer.

The business case simply isn't there. The yank manufacturers have such system, but there's been little to no commercial interest here.

And if you are knocked unconscious? Or are trapped upside down in a ditch? I'm not sure why you are fearful of a system that can help you to be honest. Is it the slight increase in cost? Euro emission legislation cost many times this, do you think cleaner emissions are a bad idea as well?

Boardman Team Carbon LTD
  • veronese68
    He's clearly incapable of thinking for himself and making any sort of reasoned argument, mainly because there isn't one.
  • <span class="skimlinks-unlinked">http://www.mirror.co.uk/news/uk-news/robert-blay-ukip-suspends-parliamentary-5641537</span&gt;

What's your response cycle?

Good grief! I mean, we all suspect that the Kippers are a bunch of barely-closeted racist scum, but that's still somehow shocking.
  • veronese68
    <span class="skimlinks-unlinked">http://www.mirror.co.uk/news/uk-news/robert-blay-ukip-suspends-parliamentary-5641537</span&gt;

What's your response cycle?

Good grief! I mean, we all suspect that the Kippers are a bunch of barely-closeted racist scum, but that's still somehow shocking.
    He's just said out loud what they are all thinking, we shouldn't really be surprised. He genuinely believes he is entitled to more without doing anything to deserve it other than being born in the UK. Imagine if there was such a thing as karma and reincarnation. These hateful individuals would be born into real poverty, hopefully with a memory of the privileged life they'd led and how they wasted it through being greedy and lazy.