Meh and more meh - chain pin question...

cookeeemonster
cookeeemonster Posts: 1,991
edited May 2015 in Commuting chat
So...I appear to have shortened my kmc z610hx 3/32 single speed chain by one link too many (I know...I know...MEH, MEH AND DOUBLE MEH!)

Any idea what replacements pins if any I could use? They appear to be 8mm...would the shimano ones fit? Can't see anything for kmc other than quick links...this chain already has one and I'm guessing it's not a good idea to 'chain' them.

Cheers in advance

Comments

• rower63
    rower63 Posts: 1,991
    So...I appear to have shortened my kmc z610hx 3/32 single speed chain by one link too many (I know...I know...MEH, MEH AND DOUBLE MEH!)

Any idea what replacements pins if any I could use? They appear to be 8mm...would the shimano ones fit? Can't see anything for kmc other than quick links...this chain already has one and I'm guessing it's not a good idea to 'chain' them.

Cheers in advance
    A £10 mistake I reckon (new chain)
    Dolan Titanium ADX 2016
    Ridley Noah FAST 2013
    Bottecchia/Campagnolo 1990
    Carrera Parva Hybrid 2016
    Hoy Sa Calobra 002 2014 [off duty]
    Storck Absolutist 2011 [off duty]
    http://www.slidingseat.net/cycling/cycling.html
  • cookeeemonster
    Cheers rower, could be worse...will save me buying a spare quick link I suppose!
  • daniel_b
    daniel_b Posts: 11,579
    Cheers rower, could be worse...will save me buying a spare quick link I suppose!

You could turn the remains of the chain into a necklace for your other half?
    Felt F70 05 (Turbo)
    Marin Palisades Trail 91 and 06
    Scott CR1 SL 12
    Cannondale Synapse Adventure 15 & 16 Di2
    Scott Foil 18
  • jds_1981
    jds_1981 Posts: 1,858
    Daniel B wrote:
    You could turn the remains of the chain into a necklace for your other half?

They tend to be a bit sticky though?
    FCN 9 || FCN 5
  • The Rookie
    The Rookie Posts: 27,812
    Just use 2 quick links!

I set most my bikes up with 2 quick links like that, that way if I have a chain failure I can use the one quick link and inner and the spare quick link I carry to fix the chain and just have to remember not to select the gear that requires the longest chain (lowest gear on most my bikes as they are single chainring) for the rest of the ride.
    Currently riding a Whyte T130C, X0 drivetrain, Magura Trail brakes converted to mixed wheel size (homebuilt wheels) with 140mm Fox 34 Rhythm and RP23 suspension. 12.2Kg.
  • davis
    davis Posts: 2,506
    Yeah you can get away with two quick links. Works fine.
    Sometimes parts break. Sometimes you crash. Sometimes it’s your fault.
  • cookeeemonster
    2 quick links connected to each other? really? Didmt think that'd be allowed. It's for a single speed chain if that makes any difference?
  • dav1
    dav1 Posts: 1,298
    do you have any of the chain left from breaking?

What you can do is push the pin out far enough to get the inner part out but leave enough in so it stays in the outer plate. Offer this up to your fitted chain then mush the pin back through to add the length to it. Be sure that the link isn't stiff after doing this and you should be good to go.

I have done this a couple of times when I needed a longer chain again after a couple of rides and deciding I wanted a bigger sprocket.

If you want to go the two quick link route then shorten the chain more and use the spare bit to add space between the quick links.
    Giant TCR advanced 2 (Summer/race)
    Merlin single malt fixie (Commuter/winter/training)
    Trek superfly 7 (Summer XC)
    Giant Yukon singlespeed conversion (winter MTB/Ice/snow)

Carrera virtuoso - RIP
  • The Rookie
    The Rookie Posts: 27,812
    2 quick links connected to each other? really? Didmt think that'd be allowed. It's for a single speed chain if that makes any difference?
    No, as quick links are outers only, you need an inner section in between obviously!

Being single speed makes no difference as long as it's not the wacky type with the half inner and half outer sde plates.
    Currently riding a Whyte T130C, X0 drivetrain, Magura Trail brakes converted to mixed wheel size (homebuilt wheels) with 140mm Fox 34 Rhythm and RP23 suspension. 12.2Kg.
  • telesv650
    telesv650 Posts: 59
    Cut the chain again and fit a second link with a section of chain in between. Re cut to the correct length +2 links. Check, re cut to the correct length. Bodge, but works.
  • rubertoe
    rubertoe Posts: 3,994
    telesv650 wrote:
    Cut the chain again and fit a second link with a section of chain in between. Re cut to the correct length +2 links. Check, re cut to the correct length. Bodge, but works.

This or a new chain
    "If you always do what you've always done, you'll always get what you've always got."

PX Kaffenback 2 = Work Horse
    B-Twin Alur 700 = Sundays and Hills
  • y33stu
    y33stu Posts: 376
    I put a shimano pin in a KMC chain yesterday. I only had shimano pins, the guy who's chain broke was KMC. We never thought it would work, but it did. He made it over some pretty steep gradients too.
    Cycling prints
    Band of Climbers
  • dav1
    dav1 Posts: 1,298
    y33stu wrote:
    I put a shimano pin in a KMC chain yesterday. I only had shimano pins, the guy who's chain broke was KMC. We never thought it would work, but it did. He made it over some pretty steep gradients too.

This may be a problem with single speed though if the two chain types don't quite match perfectly and the chain is run tight (rather than through a tensioner).

I was running a Halo half-link for a while and it created a horrible tight spot when it went over the sprocket because for some reason it sat differently then the links in the SRAM chain it was added to.
    Giant TCR advanced 2 (Summer/race)
    Merlin single malt fixie (Commuter/winter/training)
    Trek superfly 7 (Summer XC)
    Giant Yukon singlespeed conversion (winter MTB/Ice/snow)

Carrera virtuoso - RIP
  • Man Of Lard
    Man Of Lard Posts: 903
    Paging Manc33 for more chain-related japery :)
  • telesv650
    telesv650 Posts: 59
    rubertoe wrote:
    telesv650 wrote:

This or a new chain

True. I've used it as a get out of jail until I can get a new chain.