Brighton to Dorking

Hi, am going to do the BHF London to Brighton in June. I think it'll be a pootle down but I thought I'd bike back from there. Can anyone suggest some return routes, that are relatively 'friendly' - possibly well travelled by bikes, from Brighton that do not take into account Ditchling Beacon (it'll be mobbed with those heading south) and gets you in or near to Leatherhead?
Rose Pro DX Cross 3000
GT Edge Ti
Ribble Audax

Comments

• davep1
    davep1 Posts: 836
    Will have a look at the map for you later, but initial thoughts are to head west once you have finished in Brighton before heading inland.

You could either go to Shoreham along the coast on a cycle route, or go over Devils Dyke, which isn't too hard a climb from Brighton and you can go north ish through Henfield and on to Horsham on quiet roads. Keep to the east of Horsham town centre, go through Rusper and on towards Newdigate and then maybe head west over Leith Hill and on to Leatherhead from there.

I did it there and back one year, but went via Pyecombe (just north of where the A23 crosses the A27) and through Crawley. I wasn't as fit back then and it was a miserable lonely ride for about an hour as my energy dropped off completely.
  • 5milestogo
    5milestogo Posts: 224
    Great - I'll take a look on the map DaveP1 - thanks
    Rose Pro DX Cross 3000
    GT Edge Ti
    Ribble Audax
  • bompington
    bompington Posts: 7,674
    From Dorking it's back to Rochdale...
  • thenumber8
    thenumber8 Posts: 68
    DaveP1 wrote:
    or go over Devils Dyke, which isn't too hard a climb from Brighton and you can go north ish through Henfield and on to Horsham on quiet roads. Keep to the east of Horsham town centre, go through Rusper and on towards Newdigate

As per DaveP1's comments, I've done this route from Brighton to Box Hill (and back) which will avoid the L2B route and goes up via . Once you get over Devil's Dyke (and it's not really much of a climb) it's pretty easy going all the way - a few ups and downs but nothing too challenging.

https://connect.garmin.com/activity/215730440