Comments

• joelsim
    joelsim Posts: 7,552
    More info

http://uk.reuters.com/article/2015/04/3 ... Y720150430

What is wrong with some people.
  • blazing_saddles
    blazing_saddles Posts: 21,812
    Well, if they've already caught them, the race should go on, no?
    Or does the new UCI rules on rider safety have a terrorist clause? :lol:
    "Science is a tool for cheaters". An anonymous French PE teacher.
  • joelsim
    I suspect they are unsure of whether they have caught all the protagonists.
  • blazing_saddles
    blazing_saddles Posts: 21,812
    Joelsim wrote:
    I suspect they are unsure of whether they have caught all the protagonists.

I see that the official reason for cancelling is spectator safety along the route.
    Well, even if they are already behind bars, I guess that's still a win for the terrorists.
    "Science is a tool for cheaters". An anonymous French PE teacher.
  • Stridor
    Stridor Posts: 48
    I think it's for the best. I really don't think they should take the risk that they may not have arrested all of the individuals involved. It's a very frightening situation, for now and for the future. It's almost impossible to police the whole length of a stage race to prevent crazies from blowing shit up. Mass spectator events are so vulnerable to attack.

We can help by accepting the decision of the organizers and be extra vigilant and report any concerns if we see them whilst spectating.
  • joelsim
    Stridor wrote:
    I think it's for the best. I really don't think they should take the risk that they may not have arrested all of the individuals involved. It's a very frightening situation, for now and for the future. It's almost impossible to police the whole length of a stage race to prevent crazies from blowing shoot up. Mass spectator events are so vulnerable to attack.

We can help by accepting the decision of the organizers and be extra vigilant and report any concerns if we see them whilst spectating.

I agree.

"Officer, I've just seen a really angry man over there. Oh hang on a minute, that's Cav".
  • Stridor
    Stridor Posts: 48
    HaHaHaHa.. :lol:
  • DeVlaeminck
    DeVlaeminck Posts: 8,732
    I was going to make some lame joke about how the riders should be able to handle whatever the conditions threw at them but I wont because it's just another sad day for our society when a small minority of misguided extremists can spoil things for everyone. I guess it goes on daily with airport security etc etc but those things have become so ingrained as normal we don't even notice them. I don't know what the answer is other than education, well education and a well funded security service.
    [Castle Donington Ladies FC - going up in '22]
  • rick_chasey
    rick_chasey Posts: 72,571
    Slightly worrying.

If Frankfurt has issues, the Tour is in for a world of pain.
  • k1875
    k1875 Posts: 485
    The great thing about pro cycling is that if these guys had succeeded and opened fire on the peloton (god forbid), they'd probably all get up and ride on. Hoogerland's cadence wouldn't even drop.

Well done to the authorities for catching the would be perpetrators, would be churlish to suggest that they're wrong to cancel the race given that they knew enough to prevent it being stopped in the most tragic of circumstances.
  • thomthom
    thomthom Posts: 3,574
    I'm seriously giving the meanest dead legs to people if they don't start behaving properly soon, man!