Dead bike :-( Recommend me new ss / fixie

craker
craker Posts: 1,739
edited May 2015 in Commuting general
Not a good day for the old Raleigh, found 8 years ago or so at my local tip and single speeded. My favourite bike these days... Got a puncture and realised the back tire was down to the canvas, the rear mudguard broken at the brake bridge (flipping replacement SKS chromoplastics, only had them 18 months or so). The back wheel has been tracking a bit oddly too (to the point that another cyclist told me my wheels were out of line) and this evening I found the ds chainstay is broken at the weld.

Seeing as the bottom brackets threads have gone and the thing desperately needs a respray I think I'll draw a line under it...

I don't really want recommendations for a new bike just had to get that off my chest.

However... anyone used the Evans trade-in an old bike for new? I've got a barely rideable Gitane that could do with scrapping.

Comments

• The Rookie
    The Rookie Posts: 27,812
    As long as it looks like a bike, they take it as trade in, just consider it as a permanent money off scheme, a mate bought an ebay wreck for about tenner just to trade in, net saving was £40 on the bike he bought.
    Currently riding a Whyte T130C, X0 drivetrain, Magura Trail brakes converted to mixed wheel size (homebuilt wheels) with 140mm Fox 34 Rhythm and RP23 suspension. 12.2Kg.
  • debeli
    debeli Posts: 583
    This thread has put a huge smile on my face. This is cycling as it ought to be.

Found in a skip and used until further repair became impractical.

You deserve a big slice of cake and the choice of any bike you want.

But in truth, I think you'll go trawling the skips for a nice old piece of butted 531 or similar and build up a foxopholous fixie of your own.

No daft questions about which is the best lube on the market or why do my £120 shoes give me a hurty toe...

Find a bike, get it working and ride it until further riding is pointless or impossible.

I salute you, OP.
  • telesv650
    telesv650 Posts: 59
    Top Man! My sort of cycling. I use a Triumph fixie rescued from Scrap as my commuter. IS a great bike and I'd be gutted to see it go.

The frame could be repaired. The Broken Weld could be brazed together and the thread in the BB recovered, but that will cost money. I think the best solution is to go back to the skip or free adds and look for another frame (or two - think spares!!)

I have a couple of gas pipe Raleighs for parts! If you want to collect (Wiltshire) you are welcome to a frame set.
  • craker
    craker Posts: 1,739
    Thanks - Never thought I'd get any plaudits for scrapping an old bike :-) I think I'll hang on to the frame just in case I learn to weld.

I've gone for a Langster as a replacement. It's new, it's shiny and I'll blend in with all you other Specialized riders.