Cambridge 100 - May 2015

munkster
munkster Posts: 819
Anyone doing this or done it previously? Mainly doing it since Mrs M is doing the 50 with a friend. Route appears to be flat as the proverbial, any ideas if it's a well-attended event usually or am I going to be out on those flat roads on my own?? Website all looks quit understated almost as if it might go unnoticed.

TIA :-)

Comments

• munkster
    Is there *really* no one on here doing this??

I may have the fens to myself, lucky me! :D :shock: :cry:
  • I'm going. There is another thread for this event though.
    viewtopic.php?f=40007&t=13006303
  • munkster
    You're mistaken I'm afraid. The Tour of Cambridgeshire is in July (AFAIK) and is a closed road thing.

I'm talking about the Cambridge 100 sportive on 3 May...
  • ugo.santalucia
    ugo.santalucia Posts: 28,243
    I once did a sportive in that area, courtesy of Wiggle "no excuses" free event scheme. After two hours I decided the challenge was to finish it all in the big ring, which annoyingly I had to drop once towards the end to overcome a small double figure bump on the road...
    I would never pay to ride in Cambridgeshire to be honest
    left the forum March 2023
  • munkster

And nor would I ordinarily (or most anywhere in the UK these days to be fair) but Mrs M is doing the 50 miler with a friend who lives very close to the start point so I am duty bound. And I obviously didn't think the 50 miler was boring enough, so hence why I'm doing the 100 :shock:
  • 100 miles and 1150 ft climb? Wow, that makes the cheshire plain look hilly!
  • Calpol
    Calpol Posts: 1,039
    I once did a sportive in that area, courtesy of Wiggle "no excuses" free event scheme. After two hours I decided the challenge was to finish it all in the big ring, which annoyingly I had to drop once towards the end to overcome a small double figure bump on the road...
    This was exactly my feeling. Its a fairly dull county for cycling plus I generally object to paying to ride roads I can ride anyway. Closed or not there are better things I can do with £40. That said loads of my buddies are riding it.
  • munkster
    Lucky it was "only" about £20 then ;-)
  • Welcome to Cambridge! It's part of the reason I only really commute by bike and don't many long rides since it's so boring!
  • Well, i visited Cambridge this week. Took the bike. 42 miles for 400ft climbing. It was NOT my idea of a good ride - not much to see scenery wise, wind was sapping, roads were straight.
    Saw a good amount of wildlife, but have to say I can see why there were so many commuters and so few MAMILS. Honestly, If I lived here I'd not be a recreational cyclist..
  • Vslowpace
    Vslowpace Posts: 189
    hmmm you make the best of what you've got and I would argue against it being boring.

If you go out expecting the Yorkshire Dales then you will be disappointed but flat, windy roads present their own challenges. Plus you don't have to travel that far before you are on quiet, twisty lanes that have a more undulating feel to them.
  • munkster
    Did this today. Absolutely disgusting day's cycling.

Not made *any* better by three punctures (two pinch flats - one on each end - and one where the rubber round the valve split) and needing to get the support van out, great! Those headwinds are something else, absolutely flew on the outward leg, like wading through treacle on the way back. Kicking myself I didn't just ride my tubeless wheels :-(

On the plus side I saw a man standing by the side of the road in the Fens with a pitchfork. Never seen anyone with an actual pitchfork before, I think it was the highlight of the day :-)