after disaster...advice on boardman 650b please

mcgann_77
mcgann_77 Posts: 39
edited April 2015 in MTB buying advice
hi all today I went into Halfords to choose between two bikes I had to order the bizango and Carrera fury.the bizango was slightly too big for me and had play in the front wheel which I thought was wheel bearings initially but turned out to be the front spindle not fitted correctly.and it also was rubbing the chain on the front derailler.not a good start so I tried the fury to find that although a better fit the suspension had a fault and wouldn't lock out,so I walked away from that too .i saw the boardman and that looked good but there wasn't one assembled in my size so provisionally ordered it for tomoz although Im not 100% it will be any better.i can get it for £530 after 20% discount between the offer they have at the mo and british cycling discount.id like to know what you guys think of this bike,what its like and if the spec is any good? thanks

Comments

• mcgann_77
    mcgann_77 wrote:
    hi all today I went into Halfords to choose between two bikes I had to order the bizango and Carrera fury.the bizango was slightly too big for me and had play in the front wheel which I thought was wheel bearings initially but turned out to be the front spindle not fitted correctly.and it also was rubbing the chain on the front derailler.not a good start so I tried the fury to find that although a better fit the suspension had a fault and wouldn't lock out,so I walked away from that too .i saw the boardman and that looked good but there wasn't one assembled in my size so provisionally ordered it for tomoz although Im not 100% it will be any better.i can get it for £530 after 20% discount between the offer they have at the mo and british cycling discount.id like to know what you guys think of this bike,what its like and if the spec is any good? thanks
    http://www.halfords.com/cycling/bikes/m ... mp-ht-650b
  • bob6397
    bob6397 Posts: 218
    Good bike, especially at that price.. Well specced and not too heavy for the price range :)

I am a bit biased though...I own an earlier version but a model up from that.. love it :)
    Boardman HT Team - Hardtail
    Rose Pro-SL 2000 - Roadie
  • mcgann_77
    thanks bob....just hope they can put this one together better then :)
  • Antm81
    Antm81 Posts: 1,406
    mcgann_77 wrote:

Not really huge problems with the bizango (apart from the size issue) all things that are minor and very easy to sort, plus they'll do it for you if you point it out. As for the fury did the lockout have any effect (made it hard etc)? No decent dork will fully lock out, if they are faulty, again they'd sort it before selling it to you if you mention it.
  • mcgann_77
    Yeah I agree not big problems and they would have sorted but until I pointed them out they were happy to let them go out like that which being brand new and set up that day shouldn't have happened.the fork wouldn't lock out at all and they said will need to be changed.just thought wasn't a great start that's all.what is your opinion on the Boardman as a decent bike?
  • bruce225
    bruce225 Posts: 129
    Hi

I got a Team 650b at the back of last year and that came with teething problems brakes rubbing, ring on cassette not seated right but it helped me figure out how things work by trying to sort them by myself and with the help of Halfords.Now all sorted love my bike for the money I paid.

P.S thought my lock out on forks wasn't working until I became educated on this forum how they should work and not fully lock out,can now tell the difference.
  • mcgann_77
    hi bruce,good to know your happy with the boardman.the forks wernt working at all on the Carrera but were great on the bizango ( typical as it didn't fit me lol).hope to pick my boardman up later on.this forum is full of very helpful people and they all have good advice...has definitely helped me loads,thanks for your advice :)
  • rockmonkeysc
    rockmonkeysc Posts: 14,774
    All the faults you mention on the Carrera are things which would be sorted on the PDI set up / inspection. Bikes are never fully set up on the shop floor.
    The fork in the Voodoo won't fully lock and some decent forks don't feel much different when lock because they close the compression damper which you won't feel too well just bouncing on it in the shop. Lock outs are pointless anyway.
  • mcgann_77
    hi,they were set up with everything checked off ready for me to collect which ever one I chose.just picked up the boardman and everything is good so far :)
  • The Rookie
    The Rookie Posts: 27,812
    So a poor PDI, I'd choose a different Halfords.

The lockout DOES NOT lockout the fork on those, it just makes the compression damping much stiffer, there was probably nothing wrong with the forks, chain rub on dérailleur is 2 mins indexing, front spindle (QR?) may not have been done up with the expectation the wheel would be coming off for you to take it home in a car.
    Currently riding a Whyte T130C, X0 drivetrain, Magura Trail brakes converted to mixed wheel size (homebuilt wheels) with 140mm Fox 34 Rhythm and RP23 suspension. 12.2Kg.
  • mcgann_77
    yeah it was poor.a different mechanic set up the boardman and there was no issues at all,i'll ask that he does the free six week service.