Hump Day

Flâneur
Flâneur Posts: 3,081
edited April 2015 in The bottom bracket
In honor of our long lost member Arran, I shall simply call this hump day. Guess the crayola crayons are toxic after all.

Anyway another day, the sun is out and I have meetings probably in a windowless box.
All my deliveries failed to turn up yesterday/delivered to the neighbors who were out all night made me sad :(
Spent the evening pretending football doesn't exist and trying to work out how to remove the bearings from my BB to stop the creaking etc.

Probably be taking it to the bike shop later.

Have a good day everyone
Stevo 666 wrote: Come on you Scousers! 20/12/2014
Crudder
CX
Toy

Comments

• homers_double
    homers_double Posts: 7,978
    Well we had heavy sleet this morning so it is in fact "Grim Oop North".
    Advocate of disc brakes.
  • veronese68
    veronese68 Posts: 27,252
    Morning all,
    I pretend football doesn't exist all the time, it's not difficult. Also removing the bearings from your BB might stop the creaking but there will be other noises, and quite a lot of play. I'm not waiting for any deliveries, but might do some shopping soon. Trying to resist at the moment.
    Went back to the quacks last night and they've put me on steroids to try and calm my lungs down. She said they'd give me more energy so I'll give them a few days to take effect then have a go at some Strava segments complete with red light jumping 'roid rage. Or not.
    Wednesday means pub tonight but we are adding curry to the mix tonight. Unfortunately this means I may have to kip on the couch due to emissions problems later.
  • pinno
    pinno Posts: 51,199
    In the light of recent compliments/sentiments by sa(add nonsensical letters/numbers)e. I'll keep this short.

Meh. Coffee. Meh. Grunt. Meh. Ugg. Meh.

Bye.

PS That post was far too long V68 - you'll upset the OP.
    seanoconn - gruagach craic!
  • pinno
    Royal Mail emailed saying that they will try to deliver today. It is either a saddle or a court summons because sau38y59233y2592u3y is suing me for extra long threads.
  • Flâneur
    All I read was v68 wants to do some shopping and he is now on steroids to enhance performance.

Removed the bearings the other day, thought i'd used enough grease but the creaking was worse, they all feel smooth, so thought I'd start again and maybe use the internet for some help before I visit the LBS
    Crudder
    CX
    Toy
  • pinno
    sa0u823e wrote:
    All I read was v68 wants to do some shopping and he is now on steroids to enhance performance.

Removed the bearings the other day, thought i'd used enough grease but the creaking was worse, they all feel smooth, so thought I'd start again and maybe use the internet for some help before I visit the LBS

Sounds like you have a bit of water in there. Make sure you get everything pristine and bone dry before re-assembly. What sort of BB have you got? If they are sealed bearing races, it is nigh on impossible to remove water contamination and will need to be replaced.

Need more info.
  • veronese68
    sa0u823e wrote:

It would appear I've ordered a new saddle. Half price Fizik thing from CRC that's supposedly good for inflexible old bastards like me.
    The creaking may not be the bearings in that case. Could be the fit of the bearings to the frame, the cranks to the bearings, pedals, your knees or a variety of other options. If it got worse after removing and refitting I'd suspect bearings to frame. Are they press fit? Did you grease or use threadlock when refitting?
  • pinno
    ...crank arm bolts...cleats...
  • homers_double
    I think I tried that version before settling on the Antares. It felt a bit funny to me, like there was lump of foam just behind my, well, errrr, I think I'll leave you to figure that bit out.
    Advocate of disc brakes.
  • veronese68
    I think I tried that version before settling on the Antares. It felt a bit funny to me, like there was lump of foam just behind my, well, errrr, I think I'll leave you to figure that bit out.
    That's the problem, impossible to judge a saddle until you've tried it. I figure at that price it can always find a home on Fleabay.
  • Flâneur
    grease, OSBB from ceramic speed. I'll puzzle it out, need to learn eh

No lawyers Pina, whats a few words between friends and you need to save money for the other potential cases at daycare.

Cleats are fine as no sound on the other bike.

4 cups of coffee and counting, going to be bouncing home later
    Crudder
    CX
    Toy
  • pinno
    sa0u823e wrote:
    grease, OSBB from ceramic speed. I'll puzzle it out, need to learn eh

No lawyers Pina, whats a few words between friends and you need to save money for the other potential cases at daycare.

Cleats are fine as no sound on the other bike.

4 cups of coffee and counting, going to be bouncing home later

BF30 or PF30?

Press fit are a pain in the 4rse. Take the cups out and threadlock them in. I have a spare BB30 if it's for Sram.
  • pinno
    (Loctite 480)
  • pinno
  • Flâneur
    A pf30 variation I believe so I get to use some adapters. Think I may just visit the bike shop tomorrow, manual is on about epoxy and I only have park tools grease polylube. Definitely not the lube colour any girl would like...

Cheers for the help gents
    Crudder
    CX
    Toy
  • tlw1
    tlw1 Posts: 21,832
    In sunny Exeter today, which involved leaving the house at 4am, tired now :(

Just been for a decent 8 mile run and it has confirmed I haven't run for a while because I was slow and it hurt

Right, better get ready for dinner
  • homers_double
    For the strava users amongst us, I've just got over the 9000m hump.
    Advocate of disc brakes.
  • Stevo_666
    Stevo_666 Posts: 58,172
    My bottom bracket has come out in sympathy as it's doing a passable impression of a bowl of rice crispies. The bike is going back into the LBS to finish the fettling/drivetrain and BB replacement on Friday. On the bright side at work we managed to get something past the 'workers council' in our French subsidiary that will save us a million or so a year so I'm feeling quite chirpy.

In the meantime I'm listening the the footy on Radio 5 Live which isn't going entirely to plan...but has improved a bit while I was posting :)
    "I spent most of my money on birds, booze and fast cars: the rest of it I just squandered." [George Best]