Recommend Me A Steerer Bung

Smokin Joe
Smokin Joe Posts: 2,706
edited May 2015 in Road buying advice
I have a BBB bung in my steerer at the moment, it's a royal PITA as it tends to slip upwards when I tighten the top cap and getting play out of the headset takes a lot of faffing about. Both LBS near me have either BBB or some unbranded rubbish in stock. Any recommendations for good one's out there?

Comments

• rrsodl
    rrsodl Posts: 486
    Smokin Joe wrote:
    I have a BBB bung in my steerer at the moment, it's a royal PITA as it tends to slip upwards when I tighten the top cap and getting play out of the headset takes a lot of faffing about. Both LBS near me have either BBB or some unbranded rubbish in stock. Any recommendations for good one's out there?

Planet X does one that is about 45mm long for about a tenner... used to be that m7ch a couple of years ago. I've never had a problem with that one.
  • sheffsimon
    sheffsimon Posts: 1,282
    Smokin Joe wrote:

I think I have the same bung, and it was only this weekend during some bike faffing that I realised you should tighten up the bung before putting the bolt in. The bolt hole in the top of the bung has an allen key socket at top of it.
  • Smokin Joe
    SheffSimon wrote:
    Smokin Joe wrote:

I think I have the same bung, and it was only this weekend during some bike faffing that I realised you should tighten up the bung before putting the bolt in. The bolt hole in the top of the bung has an allen key socket at top of it.
    I know how they work, I just don't find it much good.
  • veronese68
    veronese68 Posts: 27,252
    The one that came with my Kinesis CX has never been a problem, unfortunately I can't tell you what make they use.
  • Smokin Joe
    Smokin Joe wrote:
    SheffSimon wrote:
    Smokin Joe wrote:

I previously replied the "I knew how they worked".

Then I re-read your post and realised I didn't. I had been inserting the whole unit and tightening the top cap instead of putting the bung in first and tightening that. What a prat :oops: :oops: :oops: :oops: :oops:

So many thanks for you're very helpful post which has solved the issue. My only excuse is it's the first carbon steerer I've had, I'm used to star nuts.
  • veronese68
    Nice to see someone admit to their mistake, I'm sure a lot of people would have let that slip. Glad you sorted it.
    I wonder how many people that have problems with these bungs have done what you did and not been big enough to realise they may have been wrong?
  • mugensi
    mugensi Posts: 559
    Veronese68 wrote:
    Nice to see someone admit to their mistake, I'm sure a lot of people would have let that slip. Glad you sorted it.
    I wonder how many people that have problems with these bungs have done what you did and not been big enough to realise they may have been wrong?

I'd say quite a few. A mate of mine was complaining of the same problem, he has the same bike as me and I was telling him I had no problem with mine and it never came loose or moved. He went and bought a brand new Pro bung and top cap to replace his old one which was buggered (in his opinion) He asked me to fit it to be sure it was fitted the correct way. When he took his bike over to mine I discovered his original one was fine and he wasnt tightening the bung once inserted. He was opening the bung up correctly and sliding it in to the tube and then simply fitting the top cap without tightening the bung further. So now he has a spare bung (*and one of the most expensive ones available) lying there simply because of a simple error. :roll:
  • ravey1981
    ravey1981 Posts: 1,111
    Another tip if still having problems is to smear a bit of carbon grip paste around the bung before you put it in. Helps it to bite and then expand properly rather than rotating inside the steerer.
  • on-yer-bike
    on-yer-bike Posts: 2,974
    they can still slip even when you think youve tightened them. however, dont overtighten!
    Pegoretti
    Colnago
    Cervelo
    Campagnolo
  • veronese68
    they can still slip even when you think youve tightened them. however, dont overtighten!
    Agreed. It was more a hypothetical question as to the proportion of genuine problems compared to incorrect fitment.
  • chris_bass
    chris_bass Posts: 4,913
    The first time I tried to work these things out I did the very same thing! took me quite a while to realise!
    www.conjunctivitis.com - a site for sore eyes
  • Smokin Joe
    Chris Bass wrote:
    The first time I tried to work these things out I did the very same thing! took me quite a while to realise!
    Thanks all, I feel better now I know it isn't only me :|