Castelli bibs

casatikid
casatikid Posts: 229
edited May 2015 in Road general
Anyone know where I can find the cheapest Free aero bibs in black or Velocissimo bibs.Size X/L.?

Comments

• andrewjoseph
    andrewjoseph Posts: 2,165
    i'd suggest google shopping. i had some good results when i did it.

wiggle are the cheapest i've seen, evans for my wife. castelli cafe are good too.
    --
    Burls Ti Tourer for Tarmac, Saracen aluminium full suss for trails
  • ai_1
    ai_1 Posts: 3,060
    Wiggle and Ribble both often have them discounted, worth checking.
  • Bobbinogs
    Bobbinogs Posts: 4,841
    Probably worth bearing in mind that the FAs have just been overhauled for 2015 so you should be able to get a good deal on the older version (easy to spot from the grippers as the design has changed quite a bit).
  • ai_1
    Bobbinogs wrote:
    Probably worth bearing in mind that the FAs have just been overhauled for 2015 so you should be able to get a good deal on the older version (easy to spot from the grippers as the design has changed quite a bit).
    Yeah, I got a pair of Free Aero and a pair of Free Tri bib shorts heavily reduced on Wiggle in December/January.
    First time I've tried them and aside from the crazy sizing I'm very happy with both.
  • casatikid
    Thanks all.Ive already tried all of the above and others.Looks like im going to have to pay full price as no decent offer at the moment.Best not mention that th the Mrs.lol
  • CASATIKID wrote:
    Thanks all.Ive already tried all of the above and others.Looks like im going to have to pay full price as no decent offer at the moment.Best not mention that th the Mrs.lol

Keep an eye out on wiggle, I got 30% off some body paint 2.0 last week and the next day they'd gone back up again. They price match some of the German sites like bike discount too if you can find any decent deals while the pound is strong against the euro.

Ribble had some velocissimo for £69 recently. The evoluzione look good value and with platinum discount are about £65 on wiggle.

The body paint shorts are fantastic by the way.
  • casatikid
    Cheers all.Ive managed to locate Body Paint shorts down fron 175 to 122.Will order after the bank holiday.
  • jgsi
    jgsi Posts: 5,062
    If these bibs have this pad
    sorpasso13-chamois.jpg
    then .. long term..12 months .. careful but normal laundry it gives up the ghost of proper support for rides even approaching 50 miles... just about tolerable for a 10 nowadays.
  • apreading
    apreading Posts: 4,535
    I have that pad in my free aeros - 10K miles largely shared between two pairs (all the big rides anyway) and still going strong after 3 years. One pair is maybe a tiny bit softer now compared to some new ones I am now using (mainly because the logos look a bit tatty on the older ones), but I actually prefer that.

Mind you, I dont use cream and wear briefs underneath them most of the time - perhaps its your creme that is destroying them so quick?
  • ai_1
    JGSI wrote:
    sorpasso13-chamois.jpg
    then .. long term..12 months .. careful but normal laundry it gives up the ghost of proper support for rides even approaching 50 miles... just about tolerable for a 10 nowadays.
    Isn't that the pad in most of their better shorts? I'm pretty sure my free aeros have that one. I've just started using them and the pad is very comfortable but I'd be rather unhappy if it only lasted a year - although it depends what you mean by a year. If I was wearing them for a long commute every day, a year might be fair enough. As it is, I'll use them in rotation with another pair in spring-summer-autumn and they'll be put away during the colder months so maybe only 50 rides a year.
  • jgsi
    Ai_1 wrote:
    JGSI wrote:
    sorpasso13-chamois.jpg
    Isn't that the pad in most of their better shorts? I'm pretty sure my free aeros have that one. I've just started using them and the pad is very comfortable but I'd be rather unhappy if it only lasted a year - although it depends what you mean by a year. If I was wearing them for a long commute every day, a year might be fair enough. As it is, I'll use them in rotation with another pair in spring-summer-autumn and they'll be put away during the colder months so maybe only 50 rides a year.

Yes, this pad should be a lot better imo.. perhaps it is just me though.
    My Santini with a NAT .. well I did 110 miles a week back and could have done more, I didnt notice what I was wearing which is the gold standard of kit basically.
  • andrewjoseph
    andrewjoseph Posts: 2,165
    my castelli free aero bibs with progetto 2 pad are nearly a year old now, used at least once a week on road or mtb in all weather. still like new.
    --
    Burls Ti Tourer for Tarmac, Saracen aluminium full suss for trails
  • ai_1
    my castelli free aero bibs with progetto 2 pad are nearly a year old now, used at least once a week on road or mtb in all weather. still like new.
    That's what I wanted to hear!
    I'm finding mine pretty good so far.
  • jgsi
    Just proves we are all different... thats why choice of kit like bibs is pretty crucial.
    It shouldnt make any difference but it does... this insert just niggles me after 10 miles... the Santini Nat, I dont know it is there even after 100.
    The DHB pad is good for me up to 40 miles and ok for 80... so thats why I have about 3 pairs of them.
  • AK_jnr
    AK_jnr Posts: 717
    I have the red pad in my team bibs and I find the pad too thin at the front by my nuts compared to another pair of cheaper castelli bibs I have which is a bit thicker all over. With the former everything down below seems to slip to one side rather than being held firmly in place like the others. Haha. Lovely.