Majorca, Recommended cycling companies?

2»

Comments

• t4tomo
    t4tomo Posts: 2,643
    Thx tramuntanacycling... I'm now going to ask some stupid Qs, having not done any cycling abroad, but are little things like bottles etc. thrown in with bike hire on the island??? or do you need to bring your own out with you??? I'm assuming you can buy gels and bars etc. in the shops...???

Also, are you able to get Garmins for the bikes or is it preferable to bring your own out...???? as I don't really want to talk all the stuff off of my bike at home...?????

Thx in advance mate...

Pretty much every hire place worth its salt will supply you with a spare tube, tyre levers and a pump and have a basic speed & distance computer, and bikes come fitted with bottle cages, but i've never been supplied with a bottle, for what I reckon are obvious reasons - I would question where you want a bottle that others had used before you? Taking one from home isnt exactly a hassle, they are pretty light- when empty.

I take my garmin and mount (and USB for charging!) with me, that way you can load up your planned routes etc before you go.
    Bianchi Infinito CV
    Bianchi Via Nirone 7 Ultegra
    Brompton S Type
    Carrera Vengeance Ultimate Ltd
    Gary Fisher Aquila '98
    Front half of a Viking Saratoga Tandem
  • Bar Shaker
    Bar Shaker Posts: 2,313
    Never gonna ride a bike of my own with full deep carbon rims so thought I'd give them a go out there... See what all the fuss is about :D

They'll be perfect on those gusty descents

...and pretty awesome at sub 10mph on the climbs.
    Boardman Elite SLR 9.2S
    Boardman FS Pro
  • JohnW52
    JohnW52 Posts: 34
    Irohug5 wrote:
    Anyone ever used http://www.bikeexperiencemallorca.com/en/ ? Booked 6 bikes for a few of us in a few weeks. They were really helpful and knowledgeable back in October when we were booking but have tried calling/ sent a few emails over last week or so to check some details and try to add a bike to the booking but no reply at all so slightly worried now and wondering whether we need to look for a back up. Paid a 20% deposit but through PayPal so hopefully could claim that back if need be.
    I met Andreu from Bike Experience on Wednesday when we used some of his mountain bikes for a bike wine tour - both he and the bikes were excellent. I expect they are just snowed under at the moment - I know they are completely booked up through April. I'm sure he'll make contact nearer the time.
  • Bar Shaker wrote:
    Never gonna ride a bike of my own with full deep carbon rims so thought I'd give them a go out there... See what all the fuss is about :D

...your point being?
  • Bar Shaker wrote:

...your point being?

You'll spend a lot more time going uphill than down.
    I'm sorry you don't believe in miracles
  • wide phil
    wide phil Posts: 51
    Irohug5 wrote:
    Anyone ever used http://www.bikeexperiencemallorca.com/en/ ? Booked 6 bikes for a few of us in a few weeks. They were really helpful and knowledgeable back in October when we were booking but have tried calling/ sent a few emails over last week or so to check some details and try to add a bike to the booking but no reply at all so slightly worried now and wondering whether we need to look for a back up. Paid a 20% deposit but through PayPal so hopefully could claim that back if need be.
    Came back 2 weeks ago. Andreu was superb, his Trek mountain bikes were tired and I had a road bike also Giant TCR which was fantastic. He couldn't do more to help us and was always travelling around in his T5 for any problems we had... and we had a few, but he was always there to provide faultless service
  • JohnW52
    wide phil wrote:
    Irohug5 wrote:
    Came back 2 weeks ago. Andreu was superb, his Trek mountain bikes were tired and I had a road bike also Giant TCR which was fantastic. He couldn't do more to help us and was always travelling around in his T5 for any problems we had... and we had a few, but he was always there to provide faultless service
    When we met him Andreu was complaining that ever since he set up his business he had had no time to just ride his bike - he was now just a van driver and mechanic!
  • wide phil
    wide phil Posts: 51
    JohnW52 wrote:
    wide phil wrote:
    Irohug5 wrote:
    When we met him Andreu was complaining that ever since he set up his business he had had no time to just ride his bike - he was now just a van driver and mechanic!

Guess it comes with the territory. Hes a fairly new venture apparently and working hard to build up. Unfortunately to be successful in a well stocked island he will have to carry on putting in the groundwork. the Trek mountain bikes we had had been given a fairly good bashing and one wheel decided to part company with most of its spokes, all wheels were buckled and suspension was tired, but it did work and I would use him again just because his customer service was faultless
  • wide phil wrote:
    JohnW52 wrote:
    wide phil wrote:
    Irohug5 wrote:

Guess it comes with the territory. Hes a fairly new venture apparently and working hard to build up. Unfortunately to be successful in a well stocked island he will have to carry on putting in the groundwork. the Trek mountain bikes we had had been given a fairly good bashing and one wheel decided to part company with most of its spokes, all wheels were buckled and suspension was tired, but it did work and I would use him again just because his customer service was faultless

Bikes turned up. Not quite what we'd ordered but he knocked a few quid off and they were all great after a bit of tweaking. Would definitely use him again. He had to come back to us a few times to sort out little bits but seemed happy to do so.

Mallorca is amazing. Love the place and already looking to go back next year if not sooner!
  • JohnW52
    His challenge is to create a year round business in the middle of the island. At peak season he could rent out many more bikes than he has but then they would sit doing nothing for all summer. He doesn't have the advantage that the likes of Max Hurzueler have in being able to move bikes back to the Alps for the summer or the local bike shops in resorts who can diversify with renting leisure bikes for tourists in the summer. Hence we came across him providing bikes for wine tours and doing guided tours, which will provide some summer business.
  • SoSimple
    SoSimple Posts: 301
    Thought it would be easier to jump on this thread than start another. Just booked a short break to Majorca with OH, going in two weeks and while its definitely not a cycling holiday, I'm allowed out on bike for a few hours each day, hopefully to include the ride to Cap Formentor.

The problem.... we're staying in Cala d'Or, which appears to be as far from cycling civilisation as possible. We're hiring a car from the airport and wanted some advice whether I just bite the bullet and drive up to Alcudia/Pollensa and collect a bike, or would to make more sense to rent from around Palma area. Some firms say they'll deliver and I'm waiting for replies but guessing it may exceed the cost of hire.

Any thoughts/advice would be appreciated
  • bernithebiker
    bernithebiker Posts: 4,148
    SoSimple wrote:
    Thought it would be easier to jump on this thread than start another. Just booked a short break to Majorca with OH, going in two weeks and while its definitely not a cycling holiday, I'm allowed out on bike for a few hours each day, hopefully to include the ride to Cap Formentor.

The problem.... we're staying in Cala d'Or, which appears to be as far from cycling civilisation as possible. We're hiring a car from the airport and wanted some advice whether I just bite the bullet and drive up to Alcudia/Pollensa and collect a bike, or would to make more sense to rent from around Palma area. Some firms say they'll deliver and I'm waiting for replies but guessing it may exceed the cost of hire.

Don't worry, the cycling around the Cala d'Or area is far from shabby. The whole SE coast area is quite nice to ride (Cala Pi, etc.). And you have easy access to the only decent hill in that area, Randa - you can see it from miles away.

But if you really want to do Formentor, then probably best to hire a car if you're not allowed to do full day cycling. Also consider the SW, the riding around Estellencs and Deia is spectacular.

Lots of good info here; https://www.facebook.com/TramuntanaCycling
  • SoSimple
    Thanks Berni, really helpful and reassuring!

Did you have any idea about bike hire in the area as I've been able to find a couple of firms in Cala d'Or but they seem to specilise in hybrids etc

thanks
  • Starsboy
    Starsboy Posts: 66
    SoSimple wrote:

Don't worry, the cycling around the Cala d'Or area is far from shabby. The whole SE coast area is quite nice to ride (Cala Pi, etc.). And you have easy access to the only decent hill in that area, Randa - you can see it from miles away.

But if you really want to do Formentor, then probably best to hire a car if you're not allowed to do full day cycling. Also consider the SW, the riding around Estellencs and Deia is spectacular.

Lots of good info here; https://www.facebook.com/TramuntanaCycling
    Sorry, what's wrong with San Salvador? It's right on the door step and is a very nice climb :D
  • bernithebiker
    bernithebiker Posts: 4,148
    SoSimple wrote:

Did you have any idea about bike hire in the area as I've been able to find a couple of firms in Cala d'Or but they seem to specilise in hybrids etc

thanks

There's a place in Felantix (not far from Cala d'Or) that have nice Italian (forget the brand) carbon Ultegra bikes, and they deliver. I paid 140E for the week I think, delivery to Palma included. Here, just found the link;

http://www.velosportmallorca.com/Kontak ... ipo_d.html

If not, there are plenty of places around Can Pastilla and El Arenal (beach area to East of Palma).
  • mechanism
    mechanism Posts: 891
    SoSimple wrote:

thanks

There's a place in Felantix (not far from Cala d'Or) that have nice Italian (forget the brand) carbon Ultegra bikes, and they deliver. I paid 140E for the week I think, delivery to Palma included. Here, just found the link;

http://www.velosportmallorca.com/Kontak ... ipo_d.html

If not, there are plenty of places around Can Pastilla and El Arenal (beach area to East of Palma).

I'd look into Canyon at Robinson Club Cala Serena in Cala d'Or (but I am a Canyon fan) https://www.canyon.com/en/pure_cycling/canyon_base/mallorca.html
  • SoSimple
    Thanks for all the replies, looks like I may not need to travel up to Pollensa after all and could maybe save those rides for the lads week I'm working on!
  • JohnW52
    You could also try http://www.bikeexperiencemallorca.com/en, who are discussed further up this thread. They are based in the centre of the island at Villafranca but they deliver across the island. As we're getting beyond peak season they may well have availability.
  • priory
    priory Posts: 743
    http://www.bikerental-mallorca.com/home

I hired a terrific week on a bike from this pleasant austrian couple at playa de palma, worth a look
    Raleigh Eclipse, , Dahon Jetstream XP, Raleigh Banana, Dawes super galaxy, Raleigh Clubman

http://s189.photobucket.com/albums/z122 ... =slideshow