Giro Del Trentino ***SPOILERS***

12346»

Comments

• phreak
    phreak Posts: 2,906
    Pross wrote:
    phreak wrote:
    Lets face it, the Giro is a much better race than the Tour anyway. The Tour is largely hype.

No that's just cycling snob b***ocks. The Tour is the race that has the top riders and is therefore the better race. The Giro has had to rely more and more on gimmicky stages to get attention, the Tour gets hype as it is the biggest race and the one that the riders really want to win other than some Italian riders.

It's a better race to me. Who are you to say otherwise? :)
  • blazing_saddles
    blazing_saddles Posts: 21,812
    Pross wrote:
    phreak wrote:
    Lets face it, the Giro is a much better race than the Tour anyway. The Tour is largely hype.

No that's just cycling snob b***ocks. The Tour is the race that has the top riders and is therefore the better race. The Giro has had to rely more and more on gimmicky stages to get attention, the Tour gets hype as it is the biggest race and the one that the riders really want to win other than some Italian riders.

Not getting into another TDF/Giro dispute, but the irony being that the Tour now seems to be following the Giro's lead with more gimmicky stages, while the Giro has reverted to a more traditional route.
    "Science is a tool for cheaters". An anonymous French PE teacher.
  • deejay
    deejay Posts: 3,138
    Pross wrote:
    phreak wrote:
    Money is what makes the Tour better as they have sewn the Big money sponsors and the Caravan helps it to be part of the National Heritage with Government support for the Gendarmes & Police.
    Therefore it has become a French Carnival wherever it passes.

This forum only considers the parcours of the events and what that means to the competitions but the TDF has far more to it than just a cycle race.
    I too have preferred the Giro d'Italia and it's habit, to produce the more unexpected racing.

The Money seems to be on France and Europe cannot change their way of doing things since the Bastile
    Organiser, National Championship 50 mile Time Trial 1972
  • TheBigBean
    TheBigBean Posts: 20,619
    Worth noting that despite a very one sided 2011 victory over Nibali, Scarponi etc. in the Giro, Contador was then unable to compete at the tour, so I'm not how he plans to overcome this problem this time.*

Personally, I'd love it if riders started targeting two GTs in a year, but I don't remain optimistic.

*I'm aware Contador officially wasn't present at either event, but anyone who watched would have noticed a rider looking much like him.
  • RichN95.
    RichN95. Posts: 27,153
    TheBigBean wrote:
    Worth noting that despite a very one sided 2011 victory over Nibali, Scarponi etc. in the Giro, Contador was then unable to compete at the tour, so I'm not how he plans to overcome this problem this time.*
    That time though, he hadn't pre-planned to do both. He was doing the Giro as his doping hearing at CAS was originally scheduled for June, but good moved to August right at the end of the Giro. I don't think he had expected to do the Tour.
    Twitter: @RichN95
  • norvernrob
    norvernrob Posts: 1,447
    You are sneering Rich. C'mon. Wasn't born yesterday. If you're not, you're coming across like you are!

To him, he's won 3 Tours, and plenty of other GTs, so winning another wouldn't be all that big for him, whereas a Giro Tour double would.

Guy's heading towards the end of his career, why not give the big 1-2 a go?

DOn't think Contador cares what 'people' think anywhere near as much as you think he does.

----

Anyway, Porte's gotta be at least joint favourite for Giro after this & Paris Nice, right?

Paddy Power has Contador odds-on at 10/11 and Porte 9/4. I didn't think there would be such a big difference after the form Porte has shown so far this season.
  • Macaloon
    Macaloon Posts: 5,545
    I can't think of another sport where its top participants actively avoid the top races. We've had a clutch of sensational Stage racers for a couple of years and have yet to see them all on form in the same GT. Bonkers.
    ...a rare 100% loyal Pro Race poster. A poster boy for the community.
  • Crozza
    Crozza Posts: 991
    Macaloon wrote:
    I can't think of another sport where its top participants actively avoid the top races. We've had a clutch of sensational Stage racers for a couple of years and have yet to see them all on form in the same GT. Bonkers.

Mayweather (38) and Pacquiao (36) finally getting it on :)

also track athletics, particularly the sprints (apart from Worlds and Oympics)
  • Macaloon
    Macaloon Posts: 5,545
    Crozza wrote:
    Mayweather (38) and Pacquiao (36) finally getting it on :)

also track athletics, particularly the sprints (apart from Worlds and Oympics)

Disclaimer: the only sport I have any time for is cycling.
    ...a rare 100% loyal Pro Race poster. A poster boy for the community.
  • No_Ta_Doctor
    No_Ta_Doctor Posts: 13,326
    deejay wrote:
    This forum only considers the parcours of the events and what that means to the competitions but the TDF has far more to it than just a cycle race.

Not quite true. We also take a very active interest in: cheese, wine, beer, local sausages and product, horses, cows, geology, native mammals....
    Warning No formatter is installed for the format