Cycling Edinburgh to London. Training tips please

CycleBhoy
CycleBhoy Posts: 6
Hi,

My first post! :)

I'm doing a charity cycle ride from Edinburgh to London in the Summer. The event is over a week and averages about 50 miles a day.

The longest I've ever done is the London to Brighton cycle ride and a London to Windsor charity ride last year.

I've started training, mainly spending the weekends doing laps of Richmond Park, and am looking for any tips/advice on how to train, eat and generally condition myself for the event.

The ride takes place on 1st August.

Cheers in advance!

Comments

• imposter2.0
    imposter2.0 Posts: 12,028
    I would think about getting out of Richmond park for a start, and on to some real roads. Train by doing longer rides more regularly. Long rides back to back can come as a bit of a shock if you're not used to it, so you have to try to replicate in training the type of riding you will be doing over the course of the event.
  • jgsi
    jgsi Posts: 5,062
    Call it if you want 'training' but really a couple of rides each week of 2/3/4 hour durations on roads that are not ultra smooth tarmac.
    This will get you to know that your bike and your kit are up to the job later in the year.
    If you are not 100% happy with any part of your setup you need to address these things now.
    Longer rides will found out of your bibshort pad is up to doing its job allowing you to ride in comfort for example.
    There are a number of things that could upset your attempt - mechanical and weather.. one you can do something about... the other, well you can prepare for it.
    For an experienced cyclist 50 miles a day is nothing but as a beginner it is a challenge.
  • OK.

Thanks for the tips.

Need to find a route to cycle in and around London (that's not Richmond Park).