Bikepacking!

monkeydan
monkeydan Posts: 95
edited April 2015 in MTB buying advice
Hi all,

I have today received my Cyclescheme voucher for £1,000, which I believe I can use at any participating stores.

I have four bikes already (one hybrid which I've given to my girlfriend), two fixed gear road bikes and a carbon road bike (Ribble). I basically know nothing at all about mountain bikes.

I'm looking to get into bikepacking this year and wanted to use my voucher to buy a suitable bike. I had looked at CX bikes, found a new species of bike: 'adventure road bikes' and had originally chosen a Pinnacle Arkose 3 http://www.evanscycles.com/products/pinnacle/arkose-three-2015-adventure-road-bike-ec071307

Looking to cycle the South Downs Way in June, reading about it made me think that I might be better of getting a hardtail mountain bike. I couldn't find any 'adventure road bikes' with front suspension.

Other than South Downs it would be nice to have the flexibility to do a bit more hardcore off-road stuff, rather than just trails, etc. But I'm not really sure, which is why I'm asking you lot!

So, do you think it's worth getting a mountain bike? Or should I stick with the Arkose 3 (or something similar)?

Basically I only have 2 caveats -

1. must have rear rack mounts
2. must cost £1,000 or less

Over to you... thanks for any suggestions you may have.
When the going gets weird, the weird turn pro

Comments

• ddraver
    ddraver Posts: 26,348
    just an FYI, I asked a similar question on here and got zero response. It seems it has nt caught on here. There are many many (usually US based) sites and forums that would help you better

However, An all road bike won't do the South Downs way so If you want to ride proper off road then get an MTB. However, MTBs will not have rack mounts (usually) as racks are not a great way of carrying luggage on MTBs. For that have a look at apidura or alpkit (UK based, many more in the US).

For under 1000, I'd suggest going to a big bike shop and select the bike that fits you best, whatever it is
    We're in danger of confusing passion with incompetence
    - @ddraver
  • Chunkers1980
    Chunkers1980 Posts: 8,035
    At trailer?
  • monkeydan
    ddraver wrote:
    just an FYI, I asked a similar question on here and got zero response. It seems it has nt caught on here. There are many many (usually US based) sites and forums that would help you better

However, An all road bike won't do the South Downs way so If you want to ride proper off road then get an MTB. However, MTBs will not have rack mounts (usually) as racks are not a great way of carrying luggage on MTBs. For that have a look at apidura or alpkit (UK based, many more in the US).

For under 1000, I'd suggest going to a big bike shop and select the bike that fits you best, whatever it is

Bedankt. I'll have a look at some other forums / websites and see if there are any recommendations. From what I have seen, people use almost mountain bikes almost exclusively.

I am torn between something more road oriented, as this will also allow me to use it for touring duties (which is something else I wanted to do!) or MTB so I can get proper off road. Maybe I'll get the adventure road bike this year and MTB next year...

I did see a blog from someone who rode South Downs Way without suspension, we're planning to do it over 4 days, so will only average 25-30 miles a day. It sounds doable (but might let a little air out of the tyres :D )

Anyways, thanks again.
  • monkeydan
    At trailer?

Yeah my mate (who does have a MTB) was thinking of getting one of these and it does sounds like a decent solution. But there's just something about using a trailer that just doesn't appeal! (Snobbery probably!)

Might have a look at some...
  • oodboo
    oodboo Posts: 2,171
    Cotic escapade
    http://www.cotic.co.uk/product/escapade

You'd have to go through a dealer though for the cyclescheme voucher.
    I love horses, best of all the animals. I love horses, they're my friends.

Strava
  • shindig
    shindig Posts: 173
    Get one of these. I have a surly pugsley (which is similar) for bike packing and love it.

http://www.evanscycles.com/products/cha ... e-ec073761

• monkeydan
    shindig wrote:
    Get one of these. I have a surly pugsley (which is similar) for bike packing and love it.

Looks sweet! Do you have a rack on it? trying to figure out how the panniers are attached in the 2nd pic...

Cheers.
  • oodboo
    oodboo Posts: 2,171
    monkeydan wrote:
    shindig wrote:

Looks sweet! Do you have a rack on it? trying to figure out how the panniers are attached in the 2nd pic...

Cheers.
    Does look nice. You can see the rack mounts a bit better on the charge website:
    http://www.chargebikes.com/cooker/cooker-maxi-1
    I love horses, best of all the animals. I love horses, they're my friends.

Strava
  • shindig
    shindig Posts: 173
    monkeydan wrote:
    shindig wrote:

Cheers.

Yip I have a rack on it. It has rack mounts. I keep the rack on most of the year,except in the middle of winter. No need for a rack then.
  • monkeydan
    I'm torn!! Really like the look of the Charge, but I wanted kind of a 'do it all' bike... I know the Arkose 3 won't be great off-road, but the Charge looks like it would be very heavy going on tarmac should I want to do some road-based trips. Swings and roundabouts I guess!

Might get them both in to Evans and take for a test ride. I can always get one with my Cyclescheme voucher and just buy the other one anyway :lol:
  • ddraver
    ddraver Posts: 26,348
    A fat bike is a super niche product. Although it might be great for bike packing over the desert or the arctic, it's not so good in the UK. If you don't have an MTB at all I'd buy a proper MTB first. The niche products can wait
    We're in danger of confusing passion with incompetence
    - @ddraver
  • monkeydan
    Yeah, that's kind of my thinking as well... spent a while looking for all the reviews of the Charge I could find and the whole fat bike thing is pretty niche. Very different if you have snow, sand, etc. but for some slight off-roading and general touring duties I'm pretty sure I'd be better of with something else.

Thanks all for your comments.