Forum home Road cycling forum Road general

chinese carbon replica frames

gubber12345gubber12345 Posts: 474
edited April 2015 in Road general
Does anyone have one of these and whats your opinions on them.are they good quality and value for money.

asking as may have a chance at a second hand one but would like a bit more info about them first.
ps....its 1 yr old
Lapierre Aircode 300
Merida

Posts

  • Why would you buy a 2nd hand replica/ fake frame?

    Asking for a friend.
    I'm sorry you don't believe in miracles
  • gubber12345gubber12345 Posts: 474
    Na for myself but its cheap enough and its a beautiful frame in excellent condition and thats the reason for it.
    Lapierre Aircode 300
    Merida
  • shmoostershmooster Posts: 335
    It's a fake, so has been built to replicate the looks rather than the strength/stiffness of a quality frame, and will have been built cutting corners to keep the manufacturing cost as low as possible. Avoid it and buy a proper frame instead.
  • sigorman85sigorman85 Posts: 2,536
    But a real one ! Buying fakes is killing the other legitimate companies and if or when the fake snaps while you going at warp speed who will you blame other than yourself?
    When i die I just hope the wife doesn't sell my stuff for what I told her I paid for it other wise someone will be getting a mega deal!!!


    De rosa superking 888 di2
  • DKayDKay Posts: 1,652
    If you want a cheap, good quality carbon frame costing only a few hundred pounds, then buy a new Chinese open mould one instead.
  • trailflowtrailflow Posts: 1,311
    China are very good at banging out very mediocre fake products. Your frame will be no different. Please show me a quality fake product from China there isn't any.

    If the headtube snaps off or your fork fails at 40mph which leaves you seriously hurt or even worse dead, Is it really such a bargain ?

    If a counterfeiter will totally rip off a brand with no regard for copyright. Why do you think they would care about the frame being safe ? Its a moral gamble with very high stakes.

    Go with a reputable open mould company like Hongfu or Dengfu etc with plenty of good feedback.
  • TurboTommyTurboTommy Posts: 493
    trailflow wrote:
    China are very good at banging out very mediocre fake products. Your frame will be no different. Please show me a quality fake product from China there isn't any.

    Some of the fake watches they've knocked out in recent years are such good copies, very experienced dealers can't tell their lack of authenticity until they open them up and look at the mechanisms inside.

    As bikes go up and up in value they'll become more and more motivated to make frames that look every inch the real deal. It must be bad enough finding out your Rolex is a knock off when you dive into a swimmg pool. Imagine finding out your bike is a knock off when your going down a hill at 50kph!
    Cannondale caad7 ultegra
    S-works Tarmac sl5 etap
    Colnago c64 etap wifli
    Brother Swift
  • HebdenBikerHebdenBiker Posts: 787
    So it's fake brand-name frame? I would leave it alone mate.

    As others have said, if you want a lightweight carbon frame, then buy a reputable Chinese frame if you like, but by the time you've added up all the costs of importing it and building it up into a bike, you might just be better off getting something off the peg from Planet X.
  • Smokin JoeSmokin Joe Posts: 2,706
    I've recently bought a Planet X Pro Carbon for £299. Ok, it's not the latest cutting edge design but it's light and well made and I'd have it any day over some Chinese counterfeit job. As said by everyone else, a fake will be the same in looks only, not quality.
  • dilatorydilatory Posts: 565
    There's a few Chinese carbon manufacturers now that produce stuff under their own label and have for a while, seemingly have decent reputations year on year. If I wanted cheap carbon I'd deffo go down this route (going to pick up some cheap deep tubs for racing) but knock offs are a different game. If it carries the sticker of a brand it isn't I'd steer clear.
  • gubber12345gubber12345 Posts: 474
    Good advice chaps and taken on board . I've given it a swerve as i had reservations anyway thats why i asked on here.
    much appreciated thanks
    Lapierre Aircode 300
    Merida
  • JoostGJoostG Posts: 189
    DKay wrote:
    If you want a cheap, good quality carbon frame costing only a few hundred pounds, then buy a new Chinese open mould one instead.

    That is the road to take.

    Fake is illegal, and you just don't know how good it is. The first and maybe only interest of the manufacturer is to offer a frame that looks like the real deal.

    Companies like Hongfu, Dengfu, Zhongwei have been around for a couple of years, working on experience, reputations and own product line. There are a lot of guys sharing their experiences with the frames of those companies and in most cases with good reviews.

    I have, for example, a Zhongwei R-022 and I took her out last Saturday for the 135km of RVV. We will do it again :D
  • darkhairedlorddarkhairedlord Posts: 7,111
    Don't do it. If you want a decent cheap carbon frame try a planet-x pro carbon or look in the ribble clearance frames section.
    Ribelle frame and forks for £199.
    Better still, I just bought a R872 frame and fork for £299.
    You know, the authentic DeRosa 838 copy! :shock:
  • ai_1ai_1 Posts: 3,060
    I presume the thread title is somewhat sanitised and we're talking about an illegal copy of dodgy provenance as opposed to a high quality legal replica licensed by the original design owners?

    As others have alluded to, if they're making and selling fakes you already know they can't be trusted. So why would you deal with them. Buying a fake completely misses the point of riding a bike. You want a good bike that's fun and safe to ride. Not a bike that other people thinks cost money but which may get you killed. Do you want the new bike for yourself or to try and make someone else jealous. Ridiculous.
    Buy a frame from a company who is actually willing to put their own name on it. Who relies on their own reputation not someone else's. Ideally buy from a company who has not already demonstrated that they hold rules, regulations and other people's well-being in zero regard.
  • darkhairedlorddarkhairedlord Posts: 7,111
    Ai_1 wrote:
    I presume the thread title is somewhat sanitised and we're talking about an illegal copy of dodgy provenance as opposed to a high quality legal replica licensed by the original design owners?

    As others have alluded to, if they're making and selling fakes you already know they can't be trusted. So why would you deal with them. Buying a fake completely misses the point of riding a bike. You want a good bike that's fun and safe to ride. Not a bike that other people thinks cost money but which may get you killed. Do you want the new bike for yourself or to try and make someone else jealous. Ridiculous.
    Buy a frame from a company who is actually willing to put their own name on it. Who relies on their own reputation not someone else's. Ideally buy from a company who has not already demonstrated that they hold rules, regulations and other people's well-being in zero regard.
    that's going to be one short list :lol:
Sign In or Register to comment.