Shoe sizing?

andrewthomas197
andrewthomas197 Posts: 117
edited April 2015 in Road general
Hello,

I have been struggling for a while now with numb toes or longer rides and I think I need to try and new pair of wider shoes.

The question is am I better buying a shoe that is a little bigger or something that is a snug fit?

I am thinking about the new Fizik R3B, have tried a size 45 and 46 and I am uncertain which to go for?

Thanks in advance,
A

Comments

• debeli
    debeli Posts: 583
    Try on several pairs - both feet - and have a little walk around the shop.

Do not go by brand - try on lots.

You want a good fit. The range of sizes and fits is extraordinary. If neither the 45 nor the 46 of the brand you're trying is the obvious answer, then neither shoe is right.

The right one will be apparent as soon as you try it.

If you are buying over the Internet and therefore cannot try the shoes on, then please ignore the above. If you buy footwear on line, you get what you get. That is life.

If you're buying in a bike shop, then keep trying until you get the right shoe. You will get there and you will know when you do.

• I am thinking about the new Fizik R3B, have tried a size 45 and 46 and I am uncertain which to go for?

You've tried on some shoes and are now asking on the internet which size to buy? :?
    I'm sorry you don't believe in miracles
  • Anonymous
    Anonymous Posts: 79,667
    The question is am I better buying a shoe that is a little bigger or something that is a snug fit?

The answer to that question is Snug fit.

The problem is that unless you have them made to measure, the only way of doing this (unless you are damn lucky) is to do what has been said and try loads on, being unconcerned about brand and colour/design.

Back in the real world your choice will be little too big v too small, rather than little bigger v snug fit.
    The answer to this question is go a little too big.

You can personalise the fit with footbeds. Footbeds can also help with pain/fatigue.

Did you try the Fiziks in a shop or buy them online and wondering which to send back?
  • nferrar
    nferrar Posts: 2,511
    It's a tricky one, they should be snug but not tight anywhere. High-end road shoes generally have uppers that don't stretch/give these days so if they feel tight in the shop don't think things will loosen off over time and suddenly become comfortable. Also bear in mind your feet can swell a bit on hot rides and if you want to use the same shoes in autumn/winter you'll likely want them to be OK with thicker socks to. Personally I always err on the side of loose than tight, you can usually adjust out looseness anyway