MTFU

rockmonkeysc
rockmonkeysc Posts: 14,774
edited April 2015 in MTB general
Im striggling to find the plums to ride a particularly big jump (6 foot step up 25 foot gap). I have the skills and plenty of speed in to it. Any tips on blocking out the sensible voice in my head stopping me?
Short of removing my brakes im all out of ideas

Comments

• cooldad
    cooldad Posts: 32,599
    Would me thinking you are a big pussy help?
    I don't do smileys.

There is no secret ingredient - Kung Fu Panda

London Calling on Facebook

Parktools
  • paul.skibum
    paul.skibum Posts: 4,068
    Watch someone else do it? Follow someone else into it (that you are confident can do it clean)?

Close your eyes?
    Closet jockey wheel pimp whore.
  • Rigga
    Rigga Posts: 939
    Get pissed first.
  • The Rookie
    The Rookie Posts: 27,812
    Watch someone else do it, then in your mind be certain that it was CD or myself doing it, there could the. Be no greater incentive surely, as you wouldn't want to be bettered by old farts like us?
    Currently riding a Whyte T130C, X0 drivetrain, Magura Trail brakes converted to mixed wheel size (homebuilt wheels) with 140mm Fox 34 Rhythm and RP23 suspension. 12.2Kg.
  • robertpb
    robertpb Posts: 1,866
    Have a convincing crash plan.
    Now where's that "Get Out of Crash Free Card"
  • rockmonkeysc
    The run in means following someone in isnt an option but its built so that you can roll in and dont pedal. Pumping off a drop to get the speed right is tricky.
    Abuse and pier pressure would probably help. I am getting too old for this though.
  • robertpb
    robertpb Posts: 1,866
    The older you get the more brain overtakes bravado.
    Now where's that "Get Out of Crash Free Card"
  • Ferrals
    Ferrals Posts: 785
    My personal experience is if there is any waver of doubt in your mind, don't do it. Not that that helps. Maybe ride a few similar jumps to build up confidence until you are certain you can do it and then go for it?
  • WindyG
    WindyG Posts: 1,099
    Watch loads of other riders do and then when the first crashes decide maybe it's not for you.
  • rockmonkeysc
    It's going to happen Thursday. If I don't do it I'm giving up booze for a month!
  • Angus Young
    Angus Young Posts: 3,063
    edited April 2015
    Be less macho and go ride something else. No-one is going to think you have a bigger penis because you tried this.

This might be your reward for trying to impress your mates...

https://vimeo.com/125793135
    All the gear, no idea and loving the smell of jealousy in the morning.
    Kona Process 134 viewtopic.php?f=10017&t=12994607
  • Herdwick
    Herdwick Posts: 523
    Don't do it, if you crash you're done, you are not 16 anymore and there isn't going to open a new career opportunity either, old and bold don't go along...
    “I am a humanist, which means, in part, that I have tried to behave decently without expectations of rewards or punishments after I am dead.”
    ― Kurt Vonnegut
  • Herdwick
    Herdwick Posts: 523
    If I don't do it I'm giving up booze for a month!

Oh I see, a decision taken whithout being sober I guess? :lol:
    “I am a humanist, which means, in part, that I have tried to behave decently without expectations of rewards or punishments after I am dead.”
    ― Kurt Vonnegut
  • rockmonkeysc
    It's something I want to do for myself. I'm past doing stuff to impress others

I have never hit a big dirt jump on a DH bike and it's on the list of things I want to ride
  • Ferrals
    Ferrals Posts: 785
    Get it videod!
  • poah
    poah Posts: 3,369
    I have the same issue all be it with a smaller jump.

10983827_10206129089967825_4545932745294684897_n.jpg?oh=da28dda53e81f3b670121f5ee1f8d813&oe=55DB1D11

10491249_10206129089887823_105514630304854605_n.jpg?oh=886cc94b0d41bf2739e93c307cd74449&oe=559D9F44&__gda__=1440741755_c3cd5273dd31cc1b3133a48c4995b9c5
  • veronese68
    veronese68 Posts: 27,361
    POAH wrote:
    That's not the one that lead to a broken collarbone is it?
    I read this and have to admit to being a big girls blouse, and I still manage to hurt myself. :oops:
  • Maro
    Maro Posts: 226
    It sounds to me like it's starting to become somewhat of a big deal, for me that makes things worse. When in this situation I need a bit of time to myself to sit and look at it and clear my head a bit, maybe go away and come back later. I know others who need exactly the opposite and a lot of "egging on" puts them in the right frame of mind
    Bird Aeris. DMR Trailstar. Spesh Rockhopper pub bike.
  • poah
    Veronese68 wrote:
    POAH wrote:
    That's not the one that lead to a broken collarbone is it?
    I read this and have to admit to being a big girls blouse, and I still manage to hurt myself. :oops:

nah, thats a jump going onto a downhill section. not tried that one yet not will I be doing so for a while ha ha ha ha ha
  • rockmonkeysc
    That jump looks very poorly built. I'm guessing it's probably a bit bouncy where it goes over the tree?
  • poah
    That jump looks very poorly built. I'm guessing it's probably a bit bouncy where it goes over the tree?

its not quite finished yet
  • rockmonkeysc
    Dead trees are never ideal as a Base for a jump. Piling soil on top of the dead log accelerates rotting. Six months and it will start to collapse.
  • poah
    other jumps have been there for ages and they are fine - trails are regularly taken care of so damage isn't an issue unless some twat walker does it on purpose