National Cycle Route No7 @ Callander

armoureddrummer
armoureddrummer Posts: 145
edited May 2015 in Tour & expedition
Hi There,

I am planning a little cycle as part of a weekend away in the Trossachs next weekend.

A friend mentioned that the cycle network route 7 passes through at Callander which is a nice spot to stop with the Motorhome. I was wondering if anyone knows the route well and can advise me on a few things:
1 - What is the surface like (I have a cross bike so no probs for me but my wife has either a road bike or a hard tail mtb to choose from)
2 - Which direction to go? We will probably push about 15 miles and back and wonder which way has good things to see etc.

Hope you can help

Thanks

Comments

• Hi, from Callander you can either go west or north on route 7. Both directions are pretty flat for 8 miles or so from Callander. Going west takes you alongside Loch Venachar which is very scenic. Route is a mix of B road tarmac and gravel forest path. Once you get to the end of Loch Venachar the route is hillier before the drop down 'Duke's Pass' to Aberfoyle. Heading north from Callander the route is again very scenic, following the river, up past Loch Lubnaig and on to Strathyre. Again really scenic with a couple of cafes en-route. Route is also a mix of B road tarmac and wide gravel path. Road bike or HT MTB would be fine as long as road bike's not on 23mm race tyres!
  • Thanks briefcasew

We ended up staying in Strathyre and cycling down to Callander then back. She brought the hard tail in the end as she rolls 23s. It was a great little run. I recommend it to others for a nice leg stretch with great scenery :-D. Perfect on a CX bike or HT.