Garmin GSC-10 - Best price.

wotnoshoeseh
wotnoshoeseh Posts: 531
edited April 2015 in Road buying advice
Hi all,
In the market for a GSC-10. Has anyone seen any deals online?

Thanks,
D

Comments

• To be honest, I wouldn't bother. You are better looking at the newer individual cadence and speed sensors.

The Garmin unit (500,800 etc) on its own will calculate speed through gps, although it's does lose signal at times, so you could just buy the cadence sensor. The newer speed and cadence sensors can be bought individually or as a pair, depending on what data you want to gather.

Most people I know who have changed over, prefer the newer sensors.
  • Amazon have it just over 29 quid.
    http://www.amazon.co.uk/Garmin-Cadence- ... B000BFNOT8
    Bike discount 25.99 but will have postage on top.
    http://www.bike-discount.de/en/buy/garm ... tAodhXwADA
    To be honest, I wouldn't bother. You are better looking at the newer individual cadence and speed sensors.
    Why?
    Trek Domane 4.3. Merida One.forty 7.700. Merida CX 3. Voodoo Bizango
    "When the vulture flies sideways the moon has hair on his upper lip"
  • Dodger747
    Dodger747 Posts: 305
    The new sensors are a much better/finished product - I'd recommend them over the old GSC-10.
    VO2 Max - 79 ml/kg/min
    W/kg - 4.9
  • buckmulligan
    buckmulligan Posts: 1,031
    The fit of the GSC-10 on a road bike can be very tight. Getting it in a position where it picks up both pedal and wheels magnets reliably can be a bit of pain (especially if you want the little sensor arm down the inside of the chainstay instead of pointing up in the air) and then it can get knocked out of alignment fairly easily. Also the GSC-10s have a habit of dying prematurely (12-24 months in some cases depending on usage). I believe the magnets activate little reed switches in the unit and it's these that give up after a while.

If it were me in the market, I'd give the new cadence sensor a shot and just rely on GPS for speed. But as I posed on another thread, I wouldn't automatically expect the new ones to be more reliable in the long-term, especially given my experience with their running footpods.
  • Ditto what's been said. My GSC10 died and I replaced it with the new magnetless sensors. Far superior.
  • northpole
    northpole Posts: 1,499
    Personally, my 800 with a GSC-10 was a nightmare and I ended up binning mine. Running the new ones now without problems. Touch wood - it is a Garmin after all!

Peter
  • CptMuppet
    CptMuppet Posts: 32
    I was looking for a sensor for my Garmin 705 was thinking about a GSC-10 but read a lot of bad reviews. In the end i went with http://www.tredz.co.uk/.Giant-2-in1-Sen ... _59447.htm with the 10% discount works out cheaper. No problems so far and my 705 picked it up straight away.
  • Just saw the Giant Sensor - I have a Giant Defy 1 2014, Aluminium model.
    Is the Giant RideSense set of sensors compatible with this frame i.e. is there a facility to allow me to fit this?

Thanks.
  • saftlad
    saftlad Posts: 49
    To be honest, I wouldn't bother. You are better looking at the newer individual cadence and speed sensors.

Most people I know who have changed over, prefer the newer sensors.

I switched over to the new sensors and then bought a Virb camera. The new speed sensor isn't recognised by the Virb, confirmed by Garmin. The help desk couldn't confirm whether this functionality would be added in the future but you would expect it to be.